IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

'98 S70 Wiper Relay, Wiper Park and Blown 50a Fuses

Help and Advice on Volvo's extremely popular car line, powered by Volvo's nearly indestructible, versatile inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

'98 S70 Wiper Relay, Wiper Park and Blown 50a Fuses

Postby dhmartyn » 27 Mar 2007, 13:05

Hi, all. New to the forum, and new to Volvos as well. Bought a used '98 S70 GLT Turbo in January. Need to do several of the familiar fixes (i.e. Oil Trap, Oil pump).

Strange thing happened recently, though. I blew the 50a main fuse for the interior fuse box 2 or 3 times. It was always raining/snowing, and I swear I think it occured when the wipers were on and I turned the steering wheel hard to the left. Wiper blades would hesistate (maybe that was just the first thing I noticed), then headlights, radio, ECC, wipers would all cut out.

Well, now I have a different problem. Last time the wipers hesitated, the 50a fuse didn't blow. Instead, the intermittent wipers don't work, and the wipers don't park when I shut them off. They just stop wherever they are on the windshield when the wiper switch is turned to the off position. The wipers work normally in the low and high speed position, though.

As I understand it, the intermittent wiper is a function of the relay, so that would appear to have gone bad. The wiper park is a function of the wiper motor, so that would appear to have a problem as well.

I am ordering a new relay. I'll try that first, but I doubt that will have an effect on the wiper park function. Or will it? Or until I find out what is causing this electrical problem, am I just going to continue to fry the relay and motor?

Any suggestions, or experience with this problem? Thanks.
David Martyn

'98 S70 GLT Turbo
dhmartyn

Postby zenmervolt » 27 Mar 2007, 17:15

Wiper park should be a function of the relay as well. It's typically the same circuit that controls intermittant. The parking issue is the relay, not the motor.

I would, however, check the wiper motor to see how much current it's drawing. It's possible that it's having some issues and drawing excess current, which would both cause the fuse to blow and cause the wiper relay to burn out.
'98 Volvo S70 T5 SE

'86 Porsche 951

'76 Porsche 914
zenmervolt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby VolvoBeginner » 28 Mar 2007, 19:40

dhmartyn,
Where did you get the relay from?
I have a problem with the Wipers Park like yo do. The intermittent wipers work but they stop wherever they want... I was told that this is a motor problem. But I still think this is more relay related, so I want to try with the relay first.

thx
1994 Volvo 850 Wagon (N/A) - sold
1999 Volvo V70 (N/A)
VolvoBeginner
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1999 V70 N/A

Postby dhmartyn » 29 Mar 2007, 13:51

Haven't gotten one yet. Just ordered from QuickBrick Motorsports. They have a $39 programmable intermittent relay. Can't seem to find any kind or relay for this locally, so I just figured I'd order online.

Still having the problem of when the wipers on and I turn the steering wheel hard to the left, the wipers stop on the windshield, then eventually start up again. Wondering if there is some short in the wiring in the steering column causing this. I really can't think of another logical reason why this would happen.
David Martyn

'98 S70 GLT Turbo
dhmartyn

Postby VolvoBeginner » 29 Mar 2007, 14:57

Thanks,
I will get one anyway as the "programmable" feature of that relay will update the system. Even if it is motor problem for a fact it won't be money in the drain...
1999 Volvo V70 (N/A)
VolvoBeginner
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby dhmartyn » 15 Apr 2007, 22:54

Put in the new QBM relay, which fixed the wiper park and intermittent problem. Then it fried again when I made a sharp turn to the right. Had to be something between the steering wheel and the wiring for the wiper.

It made no sense to me that it would be in the steering column, but I took it apart anyway. It wasn't there.

I removed the kick panel (the same panel that you remove to replace the wiper relay itself), and tucked in next the the steering U-connection (coming down from the steering wheel where it connects through the firewall) was the bundle of wires from the upper steering column. It's held in place next to the U-joint by a plastic tie. When I pulled it over, I discovered that the plastic tape that wrapped the bundle, as well as a bit of the insulation on the wiring in the bundle, had been worn off by that U-joint as it turned over the years.

I took a piece of plastic insulation from the cover of some 12-2 house wiring and laid it across the bare spot, and re-wrapped the whole area with plastic electrical tape. Then, used a plastic tie around it and another bundle of wires to pull it away from the U-joint. Now, just have to replace the relay and I'm good to go.
David Martyn

'98 S70 GLT Turbo
dhmartyn

Postby MadeInJapan » 16 Apr 2007, 00:13

I bought a VW relay a couple of years ago for my Volvo that does the same thing that the QB one does so I have the old (non adjustable) relay for my wiper laying around. If anyone wants it, it's yours. Just PM or email me (email is in my profile).
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
94 850 Sedan NA Drk Blue/Tan
'00 V40 Purple/Grey Mobil-1
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Model and Year: '98 S70 T5

Postby VolvoBeginner » 23 Apr 2007, 13:43

VolvoBeginner wrote:dhmartyn,
Where did you get the relay from?
I have a problem with the Wipers Park like yo do. The intermittent wipers work but they stop wherever they want... I was told that this is a motor problem. But I still think this is more relay related, so I want to try with the relay first.

thx

Put in new relay, did not help. Found a great local shop specializing in Volvos with their own Volvo salvage yard. Got the motor for $35, put in and wipers finally work as they suppose to! 8)
1999 Volvo V70 (N/A)
VolvoBeginner
Forum Member
Forum Member

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)