IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

volvo s70 turbo question

Help and Advice on Volvo's extremely popular car line, powered by Volvo's nearly indestructible, versatile inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

volvo s70 turbo question

Postby desolator » 13 Jan 2011, 23:00

Could bad Turbo cause high engine pressure and make smoke coming from dipstick and engine cap?
desolator

Model and Year: 1999

Re: volvo s70 turbo question

Postby brady55 » 13 Jan 2011, 23:24

no that is your pcv system that is clogged. FYI see the 140k main thread on the main page 4th one from the top for the repair
brady55
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1996

Postby Ozark Lee » 13 Jan 2011, 23:34

Welcome to MVS,

Normally the turbo itself will not but some items associated with the turbo can. You have the classic symptoms of a clogged PCV "system". I say system because it is quite elaborate and it involves an oil trap and numerous hoses. The intake manifold needs to come off of the car to service it but we have a good writeup on how to perform the service pinned at the top of the page.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28487

It is about a 2 1/2 wrencher as projects go but the parts for a "Kit" are not that much (a fuzz over $100.00) from either IPD or FCP Groton.

You might get lucky and just have a plugged up PTC valve but, depending on your mileage and what you have for service records it might be best just to replace everything and be done with it for another 100k miles. A plugged PCV can cause other damage as well - the biggest in terms of cost is that it can blow the rear main seal which requires that at least the transmission and the flywheel need to come out to replace a $20.00 part.

The moral of the story is to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Edit: Like brady55 said. :D

...Lee
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC
Previous: 1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Postby desolator » 13 Jan 2011, 23:51

Hi thank you for fast responds , But I cleaned the PCV and replaced the Trap , EGR, but i still got the same problem.
I went today to a mechanic and he told me it's my turbo, could it be the turbo?
desolator

Postby Ozark Lee » 14 Jan 2011, 01:57

Describe how you "cleaned the PCV" and we can give you a better answer. About the only thing that can be reliably cleaned on the PCV is the PTC valve and the oil line out of the front of the block. As for the rest of the system it just needs to be replaced.

Short of the turbo completely seizing up and creating massive back pressure and thus massive blow by on the rings, I'm not buying the problem being the turbo but then again I can't see your car.

When you drive it can you hear the turbo spool up when you accelerate?

Other than the leaks and vapor from the dipstick, how does the car run?

...Lee
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Postby desolator » 14 Jan 2011, 02:17

Ozark Lee wrote:Describe how you "cleaned the PCV" and we can give you a better answer. About the only thing that can be reliably cleaned on the PCV is the PTC valve and the oil line out of the front of the block. As for the rest of the system it just needs to be replaced.

Short of the turbo completely seizing up and creating massive back pressure and thus massive blow by on the rings, I'm not buying the problem being the turbo but then again I can't see your car.

When you drive it can you hear the turbo spool up when you accelerate?

Other than the leaks and vapor from the dipstick, how does the car run?

...Lee

I cleaned the same as in the Website saying, Replaced the PCV Trap and the hole in the back of the trap and checked the PCV lines if they are open , I used gas to make sure if to remove and clogged oil in the lines, and i cleaned the PTC with Gas and the nipples too.
The car is making big cloud of smoke after 30 minutes of driving but not while I'm driving it, it happen only in traffic light you know only when the car on idle, the smoke smell stink and when that happen the car looks like not responding you know like it's misfiring or something with some shake in the engine.
no oil leak from the turbo but i was leaking before from the oil back line but i fixed it before a while.
And no i can't head the turbo and never heard my turbo before.
desolator

Postby Ozark Lee » 14 Jan 2011, 11:51

The car is making big cloud of smoke after 30 minutes of driving but not while I'm driving it, it happen only in traffic light you know only when the car on idle, the smoke smell stink and when that happen the car looks like not responding you know like it's misfiring or something with some shake in the engine.
no oil leak from the turbo but i was leaking before from the oil back line but i fixed it before a while.

I'm starting to get confused. Where is the smoke coming from when you pull up to the traffic light? Under the hood or out the tailpipe?

Which version of the turbo do you have? The 2.3 liter High Pressure turbo or the 2.4 liter Low Pressure turbo?

On my high pressure turbos I can definitely hear the turbo spool up (it sounds like a low level whistle) when I get into the accelerator but with the low pressure turbo I don't know - I've never driven one.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Postby desolator » 14 Jan 2011, 22:42

Ozark Lee wrote:

I'm starting to get confused. Where is the smoke coming from when you pull up to the traffic light? Under the hood or out the tailpipe?

Which version of the turbo do you have? The 2.3 liter High Pressure turbo or the 2.4 liter Low Pressure turbo?

On my high pressure turbos I can definitely hear the turbo spool up (it sounds like a low level whistle) when I get into the accelerator but with the low pressure turbo I don't know - I've never driven one.

...Lee

it's coming from the tailpipe nothing coming from under the hood unless i pull the dipstick, Mine is 2.4 GLT I think it's low pressure turbo.
I think i heard it today when i pressed the gas.
Please help me i really need to fix it.
desolator

Postby Ozark Lee » 14 Jan 2011, 23:24

It may well be the turbo if the inner oil seals are leaking. If they leak the car starts to pump oil into the exhaust system and after the exhaust (particularly the catalytic converter) gets hot the oil will start to burn off and smoke.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Postby desolator » 15 Jan 2011, 00:15

Ozark Lee wrote:It may well be the turbo if the inner oil seals are leaking. If they leak the car starts to pump oil into the exhaust system and after the exhaust (particularly the catalytic converter) gets hot the oil will start to burn off and smoke.

...Lee

It was leaking from the back line but i did replace the seals, do you think the engine pressure could be because of a bad turbo?
desolator

Postby brady55 » 15 Jan 2011, 01:53

the back pressure still sounds like the pcv system for the smoke out of the oil, but you may have a bad oiling ring or two causing blow by. have you checked your compression
brady55
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1996

Postby desolator » 15 Jan 2011, 03:10

brady55 wrote:the back pressure still sounds like the pcv system for the smoke out of the oil, but you may have a bad oiling ring or two causing blow by. have you checked your compression

brady55 wrote:the back pressure still sounds like the pcv system for the smoke out of the oil, but you may have a bad oiling ring or two causing blow by. have you checked your compression

No, I didn't check the pressure, the Idot michnic did nothing just took my money and told me it's the turbo.
Like i said before the PCV is clean even when i open it it wasn't that clogged like in the photos of the writeup of cleaning the PCV System.
can you tell me what is that "oiling ring" and where is it location?

thanks
desolator

Postby phat78ta » 15 Jan 2011, 03:29

How many miles on your car?
It could be bad turbo seals, but it still sounds like the PCV system. Unless you have replaced the ENTIRE system, you cannot rule it out. "Cleaning" it does not get the oil trap clean, just the hoses. That is to say, unless you removed the intake manifold, pulled off the entire PCV system, and cleaned EVERY part. And that would just be silly to do. Might as well have replaced it and saved some time.

The oiling ring is part of the piston assembly, and can only be replaced by tearing the whole engine down and removing the pistons. The oiling ring doesn't hold compression, the compression rings do. The oiling ring sits below the two compression rings, and coats the cylinder wall with a thin coat of oil (hence the name "oiling ring" ) for lubrication of the compression rings.
93 850 GLT sedan 156K
94 850 Turbo 189K
phat78ta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 94 850 turbo wagon

Postby desolator » 15 Jan 2011, 04:07

phat78ta wrote:How many miles on your car?
It could be bad turbo seals, but it still sounds like the PCV system. Unless you have replaced the ENTIRE system, you cannot rule it out. "Cleaning" it does not get the oil trap clean, just the hoses. That is to say, unless you removed the intake manifold, pulled off the entire PCV system, and cleaned EVERY part. And that would just be silly to do. Might as well have replaced it and saved some time.

The oiling ring is part of the piston assembly, and can only be replaced by tearing the whole engine down and removing the pistons. The oiling ring doesn't hold compression, the compression rings do. The oiling ring sits below the two compression rings, and coats the cylinder wall with a thin coat of oil (hence the name "oiling ring" ) for lubrication of the compression rings.

the odometer showing 125k but when i got it it was having ABS problem and the speed meter was not working all the time, i replaced the oil trap but didn't replace the hoses, i cleaned all the parts with gas and checked them if they are open and yes they are. so i'm sure it's not the PCV.
how can i know if it's the piston rings without opening the engine, is there is any possible way to know??
desolator

Next

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)