IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

Removing PTC valve

Help and Advice on Volvo's extremely popular car line, powered by Volvo's nearly indestructible, versatile inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Removing PTC valve

Postby SimLyons » 24 Apr 2011, 00:55

Does anyone have experience removing the PTC valve while the hose is still connected to the turbo? I am doing the PCV job and have all the critical parts removed and the engine as well as parts are clean and ready to reassemble. New kit is from IPD with mostly Volvo hoses (They told me on the phone they will not be buying from Volvo anymore due to a 50% price hike to IPD!!). I have NOT removed the intake hose to the turbo due to laziness and access (limited). I tried to pull the PTC out but it only swiveled. Should I pull harder, or is there a trick to it? I have the electrical disconnected. Thanks!! Sim
Sim
SimLyons
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1999 S80 T-6

Re: Removing PTC valve

Postby SimLyons » 24 Apr 2011, 02:11

OK, I got it out and cleaned it. So how the heck do I get it back in? (I can't get access to the screw on the turbo inlet hose without some MAJOR work...like dropping the drive shaft and possibly torching out some of the lower suspension. Are they all so difficult??)

It was all pretty clean to begin with as was the entire PCV system. The only weird thing was the same as the beginning of this adventure: Oil in the charge air system. The intercooler, hoses and metal tubes were all fairly oily, but no real scary stuff. The holes in the block were and are clean and the PCV box was empty and dry. After thoroughly cleaning the PTC valve, hoses, etc I'm ready to put together the entire system and it is all clean and shiny, and new IPD kit also.

So how to get that valve back in!!??
Sim
SimLyons
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby angelglo » 24 Apr 2011, 16:09

i dont know but if you get it back in, let us know. plus did you just yank it out?
angelglo
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby SimLyons » 24 Apr 2011, 17:22

Pulled, twisted and pried. It was only a rubber connection with a lip on it to secure to the metal piping. So, yes...it is out. But after consulting with JBlackburn I am sure I will still have to remove the intake piping/hoses to get it back it. But he tells me the clamp screw is located to face UPWARDS, and that I should be able to access it from the top of the engine (not easy...but with some feel/touch/and tricky twists!)
Sim
SimLyons
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby 1997volvo850 » 26 Apr 2011, 01:21

I managed to remove the PTC valve, clean it, and reinstall it while the intake pipe
remained in place.

If I recall there is a channel in the PTC rubber seal that the pipe hole will fit into when the valve is
installed properly.

I started by getting one part of the PTC valve seal so the pipe is in the channel and
then applied significant pressure and twisting motion to get the areas of the seal adjacent
to the ones that were already in the channel moved into the channel.

As the edges of the hole move into the PTC seal channel you get more room to work.

This reminds me a lot of the rubber bushing on the radiator. It has a similar channel
and was a little bit of a pain to move to my new radiator. The same method work -
get one section in the channel and work around from there.

Hope this helps.
1997volvo850
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1997 Volvo 850

Postby SimLyons » 26 Apr 2011, 03:04

I appreciate the advice. It was taken care of on Saturday when I finally bit the bullet and pulled the intake hose off the turbo (with Justin's help/advice). Besides, I needed to clean out the piping. This all began with oil out the exhaust...see "Blowing Oil...Part 2" in this blog). The intake system and aftercooler were sort of coated with oil. Cleaned it all out. I ended up putting the PTC back in exactly as you did, but with the advantage of having the tube in hand. I also used one of my old standbys to help...lithium grease (the white stuff, totally disolves in oil).
Sim
SimLyons
Forum Member
Forum Member

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)