IPD - Volvo Parts SpecialistsVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts

Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

Advertise here via Google

Login

Not part of the forums? Register. It's free.

Need help? See our Help Page.

price of a valve job

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

price of a valve job

Postby mrscullini » 01 Sep 2012, 22:15

i have 2000 v70xc with 176k. yesterday i got a misfire code on cyl 2. swapped coil pack with cyl 1, code stayed at 2. no compression cyl 2. i figure it's a burned valve or a spring. what's the approximate cost to have a valve job done? is it worth it on this thing?
mrscullini
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 225
Joined: 14 Nov 2006, 04:26
Location: Truckee, CA USA
Model and Year: 00 V70XC, 05 XC70

Re: price of a valve job

Postby Ozark Lee » 01 Sep 2012, 23:42

If you can R&R the head yourself you are looking at around $150.00 for a head gasket kit and new head bolts. Tack on another $35 to $50 to change out stuff like turbo coolant hoses, oil line gaskets and seals, and other things that are real easy while you are there. A new valve is around $25.00 for an exhaust valve and less than that for an intake valve, you would need to inspect them to see if any others are ready to go and you would need to lap a new valve in but that really isn't a big deal with dye and lapping compound.

The prices vary widely with machine shops but you should be able to get a head repaired for around $300.00 or less unless it has other major problems.

I have a 1999 XC head on my garage floor, it is the same as your 2000 with the exhaust CVVT, that I would sell cheap but I need to run it by the machine shop to make sure it is good. The valves all look good.

PM me if you are interested and then I can run it by the machine shop on Monday to get it checked out.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC - RIP Killed by a drunk driver.
Previous: 1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
User avatar
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator
 
Posts: 11954
Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 14:24
Location: USA Midwest

Re: price of a valve job

Postby mrscullini » 02 Sep 2012, 00:17

thanks lee. the problem is i don't have the time to do the r&r. you approximated $300, would that include r&r?
mrscullini
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 225
Joined: 14 Nov 2006, 04:26
Location: Truckee, CA USA
Model and Year: 00 V70XC, 05 XC70

Re: price of a valve job

Postby rspi » 02 Sep 2012, 00:31

His estimate was $525. I just did mine myself and it cost me $850. Someone would likely charge you $1500 to do the job so you're looking at $2,300 to have it done somewhere.
'95 855 T-5R, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, '95 960, '97 960, '98 S90, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R Yellow
ABS Light? - Volvo Repair Videos
User avatar
rspi
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member
 
Posts: 4886
Joined: 05 Nov 2011, 16:40
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Model and Year: 850 T-5R Wagon

Re: price of a valve job

Postby madspeed50 » 02 Sep 2012, 00:33

i got quoted $1400 at a local saab/ volvo shop on my old 99 s70

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....
User avatar
madspeed50
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 01 Aug 2012, 23:50
Location: PA
Model and Year: 1998 S70 T5m

Re: price of a valve job

Postby mrscullini » 02 Sep 2012, 00:39

rspi wrote:His estimate was $525. I just did mine myself and it cost me $850. Someone would likely charge you $1500 to do the job so you're looking at $2,300 to have it done somewhere.


thanks rspi. approximately how long did it take you to pull the head?
mrscullini
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 225
Joined: 14 Nov 2006, 04:26
Location: Truckee, CA USA
Model and Year: 00 V70XC, 05 XC70

Re: price of a valve job

Postby rspi » 02 Sep 2012, 01:41

Took me 4-1/2 hours to pull it taking photos and writing instructions. Put it all back together in about 9 hours. Didn't have everything I needed, writing instructions and sweating it out in 100 degree heat in the sun.

I think it can be pulled in 3-1/2 hours and put back together in 7. The big thing is having it cleaned and the tools. I can loan you the tools.

I couldn't find anyone here to do it. They were all scared. One shop wanted $2,800. The other I didn't really trust because I believe they did it a year before I purchased the car and the head gasket was leaking when we got it. A very little bit. Took 3 years to get bad enough to do it again (40,000 miles).
'95 855 T-5R, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, '95 960, '97 960, '98 S90, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R Yellow
ABS Light? - Volvo Repair Videos
User avatar
rspi
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member
 
Posts: 4886
Joined: 05 Nov 2011, 16:40
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Model and Year: 850 T-5R Wagon

Re: price of a valve job

Postby mrscullini » 02 Sep 2012, 02:29

rspi wrote:Took me 4-1/2 hours to pull it taking photos and writing instructions. Put it all back together in about 9 hours. Didn't have everything I needed, writing instructions and sweating it out in 100 degree heat in the sun.

I think it can be pulled in 3-1/2 hours and put back together in 7. The big thing is having it cleaned and the tools. I can loan you the tools.

I couldn't find anyone here to do it. They were all scared. One shop wanted $2,800. The other I didn't really trust because I believe they did it a year before I purchased the car and the head gasket was leaking when we got it. A very little bit. Took 3 years to get bad enough to do it again (40,000 miles).


thanks. i started pulling this afternoon. i should have it pulled in about 3 hours. can you give me a list of the specialty tools? how is the timing set once i begin the install?
mrscullini
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 225
Joined: 14 Nov 2006, 04:26
Location: Truckee, CA USA
Model and Year: 00 V70XC, 05 XC70

Re: price of a valve job

Postby byeboy » 02 Sep 2012, 02:39

You have to realize, if someone else does the work, you are going to have to pay for their time, tools, and skill.

I did mine myself, but I've always been a self-confident sort. It went pretty well, with plenty of step-by-step help on this form. My one burnt valve caused me to pull the head, have it surfaced (for flatness), the valve replaced, new seals (which came with my gasket set) and the head pressure checked, then cleaned...all that cost me $215.00 (many forum members tell me that's about 1/2 of what they pay elsewhere). My gasket set cost $89.00, plus shipping. then I had to buy new head bolts (they are one time use items) for another $30.00 or so....so right there, if someone else was providing those parts as part of a business (which must include a profit component) the "Parts Cost" to a customer will be about $700.00 (my cost was $334.00) . That before anyone picks up a wrench. Just about any shop has yo get close to $100.00 per hour for labor now, so figure one man day, or $800.00. That puts it at $1,400.00. So, if you have it, just pay it! Its only equivalent to a couple car payments in today's crazy car price world!
I also neglected to suggest a new timing belt and tensioner while its off, should be done for parts cost, as they will already be removed as part of the head job.
byeboy
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 391
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 18:48
Location: Texas
Model and Year: 850R, 1997

Re: price of a valve job

Postby mrscullini » 02 Sep 2012, 02:55

byeboy wrote:You have to realize, if someone else does the work, you are going to have to pay for their time, tools, and skill.

I did mine myself, but I've always been a self-confident sort. It went pretty well, with plenty of step-by-step help on this form. My one burnt valve caused me to pull the head, have it surfaced (for flatness), the valve replaced, new seals (which came with my gasket set) and the head pressure checked, then cleaned...all that cost me $215.00 (many forum members tell me that's about 1/2 of what they pay elsewhere). My gasket set cost $89.00, plus shipping. then I had to buy new head bolts (they are one time use items) for another $30.00 or so....so right there, if someone else was providing those parts as part of a business (which must include a profit component) the "Parts Cost" to a customer will be about $700.00 (my cost was $334.00) . That before anyone picks up a wrench. Just about any shop has yo get close to $100.00 per hour for labor now, so figure one man day, or $800.00. That puts it at $1,400.00. So, if you have it, just pay it! Its only equivalent to a couple car payments in today's crazy car price world!
I also neglected to suggest a new timing belt and tensioner while its off, should be done for parts cost, as they will already be removed as part of the head job.


thanks, your points are well taken. i've decided i will do it myself. i'm almost at the point of pulling the head. it was close to the service interval on the t-belt so i will do that. should i replace all the valves? i'd hate to burn another in a short amount of time.
mrscullini
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 225
Joined: 14 Nov 2006, 04:26
Location: Truckee, CA USA
Model and Year: 00 V70XC, 05 XC70

Re: price of a valve job

Postby rspi » 02 Sep 2012, 03:45

Here are my nearly completed instructions.

http://www.atthetipwebs.com/technologyi ... gasket.htm

The main things you will need that are odd are:
- Dial torque gauge.
- Anerobic Sealant
- 1/2 Drive sockets for the head bolts.
- Good gasket remover/cleaner.
- A few extensions.
- Throttle body gasket (no one tells you this).
- Other things listed on my site/instructions.

The most complete instructions I have found are Tracy's. He did a lot more than the head gasket so there is a lot that you won't have to do in his instructions. Timing is critical but not bad.

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850- ... ics-44879/
http://www.tracystruesoaps.com/tutorials/850hg/p1.html
'95 855 T-5R, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, '95 960, '97 960, '98 S90, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R Yellow
ABS Light? - Volvo Repair Videos
User avatar
rspi
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member
 
Posts: 4886
Joined: 05 Nov 2011, 16:40
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Model and Year: 850 T-5R Wagon

Re: price of a valve job

Postby Ozark Lee » 02 Sep 2012, 04:01

The valves are somewhat self evident if they are bad or going bad, they will show chips or burn marks. Even if they look good it can't hurt anything to use some dye and lapping compound on all of them to assure a good seal.

Before you yank the head or the timing belt time the engine to the timing marks and then pull the cam position sensor and the cover over the rear of the intake cam and note the position of the slots relative to the seam between the head and the cam cover. The CVVT has pre-load on the exhaust cam and noting the position will save some guess work since the VADIS instructions on dealing with how to properly set the exhaust cam timing seems to be missing some steps.

Keep the lifters in order of removal. I bought a few "craft organizers" from Hobby Lobby and then numbered the lid as to the position that they came out of.

The head bolts are tight - Very Tight. Use a break-over bar with a 3 foot or so pipe extender to apply steady pressure until they break free. Don't try to use an impact wrench or use a jerking motion to get the bolts free, it can lead to the bolt breaking. It doesn't hurt to "wake the bolts up" with a large punch or even a socket extender and a hit from a small sledge hammer.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC - RIP Killed by a drunk driver.
Previous: 1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
User avatar
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator
 
Posts: 11954
Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 14:24
Location: USA Midwest

Re: price of a valve job

Postby byeboy » 02 Sep 2012, 04:09

mrscullini wrote:
byeboy wrote:You have to realize, if someone else does the work, you are going to have to pay for their time, tools, and skill.

I did mine myself, but I've always been a self-confident sort. It went pretty well, with plenty of step-by-step help on this form. My one burnt valve caused me to pull the head, have it surfaced (for flatness), the valve replaced, new seals (which came with my gasket set) and the head pressure checked, then cleaned...all that cost me $215.00 (many forum members tell me that's about 1/2 of what they pay elsewhere). My gasket set cost $89.00, plus shipping. then I had to buy new head bolts (they are one time use items) for another $30.00 or so....so right there, if someone else was providing those parts as part of a business (which must include a profit component) the "Parts Cost" to a customer will be about $700.00 (my cost was $334.00) . That before anyone picks up a wrench. Just about any shop has yo get close to $100.00 per hour for labor now, so figure one man day, or $800.00. That puts it at $1,400.00. So, if you have it, just pay it! Its only equivalent to a couple car payments in today's crazy car price world!
I also neglected to suggest a new timing belt and tensioner while its off, should be done for parts cost, as they will already be removed as part of the head job.


thanks, your points are well taken. i've decided i will do it myself. i'm almost at the point of pulling the head. it was close to the service interval on the t-belt so i will do that. should i replace all the valves? i'd hate to burn another in a short amount of time.


Your machine shop will determine if you need any other valves. Mine only needed the one exhaust valve. Follow the instructions on Tracy's post, after reading and re-reading them completely. I was fortunate enough to have access to a Cam Tool, (which is the only way I will ever time my camshafts in the future!!) and the head tool. The kits sell for $175.00 on ebay, so I'll probably buy one before my next belt job.

This is what my head looked like when the machine Shop was finished with it (one day turn-around, too!).

Image
byeboy
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 391
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 18:48
Location: Texas
Model and Year: 850R, 1997

Re: price of a valve job

Postby mrscullini » 02 Sep 2012, 04:55

idiot maneuver, how screwed am i? i pulled the t-belt and the cvvt without timing the motor? i can probably get the t-belt back on and time it before pulling the head, but the cvvt is off.
mrscullini
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 225
Joined: 14 Nov 2006, 04:26
Location: Truckee, CA USA
Model and Year: 00 V70XC, 05 XC70

Next

Return to Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1998v70xcbill, BEJinFbk, Bing [Bot], blackb23, Caberguy, freedteacher, gmh, Google Adsense [Bot], Sandawgk5 and 86 guests