Air filter recommendation

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
xc90incanada
Year and Model:
Air filter recommendation

Postby xc90incanada » Wed May 14, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi, I am looking for a recommendation on an air filter for 05 XC90. The choice is between OEM and a brand called K&N which is supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle. The K&N can be cleaned with a special cleaner, but does that work well. For the extra $30-40 over the entire life, is it worth it to go K&N. Or should I go with new filter everytime. I dont' do a lot of dusty conditions. Thanks

srojoe
Year and Model:
Postby srojoe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:51 am

K&N filters are good if you enjoy "messing" with your car a lot, i.e. hobby sort of. Your OEM filter is fine and does not require anything other than periodic changing, say every 30k or so.
The answer is based in - do you want to "play" with your car often for a hobby or not?

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5
Flag: United States of America

Postby MadeInJapan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:56 am

I use a K&N in all of our Volvo's. I play with our cars, but not like a hobby...I'm serious about them. I want better gas mileage, better handling, etc. The K&N allows more air flow so it helps the car's power just a hair (not a huge amount like some people claim). However, the folks at K&N tend to "over-oil" their filters and because of this some people have complained that these filters messed up their expensive MAF sensor. If you go with one of these filters (which will save you money over the long haul), be ready to clean your MAF sensor within the first 1000 miles (really, an extra, preventative precaution)...then after that you'll be fine. When you re-oil it at the specified interval, only oil the side that is in the filter box and away from the MAF sensor and don't saturate the filter. I personally love the fact that I'll never have to buy another air filter and have not had a MAF sensor go bad from the oil in the filter.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

vegasjetskier
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2010 Toyota Prius

Postby vegasjetskier » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:54 am

You might want to read this air filter study before you go slapping a K&N in there:

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

SOLD - 2001 Volvo S80 T6: Mobil 1 Oil & Synthetic ATF, Brake Performance drilled and slotted front rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads and Yokohama Avid V4S tires, 91K miles.

Help this site: Amazon.com link, Tirerack.com link, Donate

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5
Flag: United States of America

Postby MadeInJapan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:21 am

True data I'm sure, but understand that this is on a GM Duramax Diesel and the different paper (and some other types) of filters are not available for Volvo's...so, comparing apples and oranges doesn't convince me.
That said, this is a heated debate on this and other forums: What is the best filters for our cars? I personally like the K&N and have never had an issue with it. Other's opinions will vary.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

cdnvolvo
Year and Model: 2006 XC90, 2001 V70

Re: Air filter recommendation

Postby cdnvolvo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:17 pm

I've seen several tests on K&N's for different cars, trucks and motorcycles. I've also used a couple, but that was in a carburated car and bike that didn't see very dusty/dirty conditions. The overall consensous seems to be that they pass more air initially because they don't filter the smallest of particulate as well. Not good for an EFI vehicle with mass airflow sensors, ETC's etc that need to be perfectly clean to last in the long run.
Its interesting to note that a GM site promotes their AC Delco air filter as the best solution. Who would have guessed that !

Return to “Volvo XC90 Forum”