How to reset ""SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ginawaluk
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:56 pm
Year and Model: XC(0, 2004
Location: New Jersey

How to reset ""SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message

Postby ginawaluk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:22 pm

I had a CD stuck in the CD player because the player stopped working.
I removed the CD player, reinstalled and the CD player and it worked once so I could get the CD out.

However, I set the "SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message by mistake.
Does any one know how to reset the "SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message???

Also it seems like this is a common problem with the CD player.
Any one have any suggestions about a CD player replacement or repair?
Volvo wanted 800 USD to replace/repair the CD.
Looking for cheaper alternative.

Anyone have any similar issues?
Any suggestions??

Thanks, Tom Waluk

ernestm
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:54 pm
Year and Model: 2003 XC90 4wd
Location: provo, Utah

Re: How to reset ""SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message

Postby ernestm » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:06 pm

I HAVE A 2003 XC90 AND THE RADIO DIED. DEALER WANTED $2000 FOR A REPLACEMENT RADIO WITHOUT THE IPOD CONNECTOR. FOUND AN AUDIO SHOP AND BOUGHT A KENWOOD 345U RADIO WITH USB PORT AND CD AND IPOD INPUT. RADIO KIT WAS ABOUT 40 BUCKS AND INSTALL $120 AND STEREO WAS $160. SOUNDS AND WORKS GREAT.

PROBLEM IS THAT I NOW GET THE SRS MESSAGE LIKE YOU. I BELIEVE IT IS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM AND LOOKING TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE SOMEHOW.

casab
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:42 pm
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
Location: East Texas

Re: How to reset ""SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message

Postby casab » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:01 pm

I have a 2004 XC90 and the 6-CD player died about a year ago. I've been researching this and finally decided to pay the Geek Squad at Best buy to replace it. However, about 4 hours into the job they discovered that although they had replaced it and the new system worked, the A/C wouldn't turn off and there were a few other warnings. Apparently there is a fiber optic system that can only be worked on by Volvo where it will cost $500 for the stereo and $300 to install it. This will be the same poor quality system without a port for USB.

A year later, I've resorted to an old Sony Walkman for CDs and a portable Bluetooth speaker in the back for iPod music. :(

I don't think there is any way to get around the software problem without going to the dealer mechanic.

007
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 pm
Year and Model: XC90 0406, 2012 C70
Location: USA-Nicaragua

Re: How to reset ""SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message

Postby 007 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:38 am

ginawaluk wrote:I had a CD stuck in the CD player because the player stopped working.
I removed the CD player, reinstalled and the CD player and it worked once so I could get the CD out.

However, I set the "SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message by mistake.
Does any one know how to reset the "SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message???

Also it seems like this is a common problem with the CD player.
Any one have any suggestions about a CD player replacement or repair?
Volvo wanted 800 USD to replace/repair the CD.
Looking for cheaper alternative.

Anyone have any similar issues?
Any suggestions??

Thanks, Tom Waluk



Hi Tom, Until now I just know 2 ways to reset the SRS message:

1. Dealership...
2. Buy your own diagnostic scanner!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTEL-MAXIDIAG- ... 73&vxp=mtr

I bought this same model and I am very happy, because you can diagnose your own Volvo transmission, engine, ABS, SRS, and some other parts, and of course you can reset messages like the SRS one. I am 100% sure this resets the SRS message because I had the same problem after uninstalled and reinstalled the OEM stereo. The same scanner works with almost all the japanese, american, and european brands).

Regards.

007
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 pm
Year and Model: XC90 0406, 2012 C70
Location: USA-Nicaragua

Re: How to reset ""SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message

Postby 007 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:43 am

ernestm wrote:I HAVE A 2003 XC90 AND THE RADIO DIED. DEALER WANTED $2000 FOR A REPLACEMENT RADIO WITHOUT THE IPOD CONNECTOR. FOUND AN AUDIO SHOP AND BOUGHT A KENWOOD 345U RADIO WITH USB PORT AND CD AND IPOD INPUT. RADIO KIT WAS ABOUT 40 BUCKS AND INSTALL $120 AND STEREO WAS $160. SOUNDS AND WORKS GREAT.

PROBLEM IS THAT I NOW GET THE SRS MESSAGE LIKE YOU. I BELIEVE IT IS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM AND LOOKING TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE SOMEHOW.



Hi Ernest, I personally recommend to disconnect the battery from 5 to 10 minutes before working on electronic components to avoid error messages from the computer... If you disconnect it there will not be messages after reconnecting the battery again. I also recommend you to buy the diagnostic scanner.

Regards.

007
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 pm
Year and Model: XC90 0406, 2012 C70
Location: USA-Nicaragua

Re: How to reset ""SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE" message

Postby 007 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:47 am

casab wrote:I have a 2004 XC90 and the 6-CD player died about a year ago. I've been researching this and finally decided to pay the Geek Squad at Best buy to replace it. However, about 4 hours into the job they discovered that although they had replaced it and the new system worked, the A/C wouldn't turn off and there were a few other warnings. Apparently there is a fiber optic system that can only be worked on by Volvo where it will cost $500 for the stereo and $300 to install it. This will be the same poor quality system without a port for USB.

A year later, I've resorted to an old Sony Walkman for CDs and a portable Bluetooth speaker in the back for iPod music. :(

I don't think there is any way to get around the software problem without going to the dealer mechanic.




Hello, I think the best option for you is to remove the defective part and look maybe for a used replacement with yours part #, maybe on ebay you can find a few. The computer gets crazy sometimes when it detects non-Volvo electronic components are installed...

Regards.


Return to “Volvo XC90 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests