IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

2002 S80 Power Steering Leak

Help and Advice on S80 Volvo cars.

2002 S80 Power Steering Leak

Postby glennb30 » 17 Mar 2010, 09:59

Hi, I have a S80 T6 2002 and there is a power steering leak/drip from the small "stepper motor"?/ actuator device mounted on the drivers side of the steering box/rack. I tried tightening the 22mm nut on the end but it is still leaking from a small screw in the middle of the nut. Is it better to replace the unit or can I remove and get a seal replaced? Appreciate any advice. Thx.
glennb30

Model and Year: S80 T6 2001

Re: 2002 S80 Power Steering Leak

Postby glennb30 » 31 Mar 2010, 03:56

I have now answered my own question. I removed the 3x T 30 screws holding on the "motor variable assist" unit, and unpluged it from the top of the wiring loom. The 22mm nut loosens and an 8mm hex key unscrews the bolt with a small pen sized seal on the end. This seal was worn and just got a new one at Bearing/Seal shop. There are also 2 small seals (pen size) that will come off with the unit, but when you fit the new ones they slot into the side of the sterring box first then install the "motor variable assist unit" back on against the steering box. Is really tricky as not much space but found using some superglue on the head of each of the 3 x screws helps when you can only use one hand! No more leaks now which is good, but have noticed a slight tightening of the steering, but I think this could be an adjustment on the 8mm hex bolt that can be screwed in and out for adjustment.
glennb30

Model and Year: S80 T6 2001

Re: 2002 S80 Power Steering Leak

Postby OEMVolvoParts » 31 Mar 2010, 17:15

Nice repair! Hopefully it holds up as those racks are a pain to change out when they completely go kaput. It requires you to change out the rack, the pressure and return lines along with the steering knuckle. Well over $1400 in parts alone. Volvo really messed up the replacement steering rack parts on the S80's, I mean FUBAR'D them royally.
http://www.MyVolvoPartsOnline.com
Your online source for genuine Volvo parts and accessories.
OEMVolvoParts
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: ALL

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S80 Forum