IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

Inner tie rod removal question

Help and Advice on S80 Volvo cars.

Inner tie rod removal question

Postby 537playing » 04 Apr 2010, 01:30

I am having trouble removing the inner tie rod. I am afraid of damaging my rack and unable to remove the inner rod. Is turning the wheel to gain access with a wrench an option. Should I invest in a removal tool. And what about a counter hold to protect the rack?
537playing
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Inner tie rod removal question

Postby 537playing » 10 Apr 2010, 22:11

I'll add this replay as the 'how to repair'.
Lift front end on both wheels, jacks and secure.
Take tires off and turn steering wheel to the left to work on the right wheel and then right to work on the left wheel.
Remove nut that is one the inner rod touching the outer rod. Then remove the nut 19mm from the outer rod. Once removed, rotate outer rod off the inner rod counting the number of turns to take off when putting it back on.
Remove the dust boot by taking clip off then snapping/cutting off the plastic ties off the read end of it.
At this point I used an old pipe wrench to grab the base of the inner rod and then supplied some force to take off. It wasn't a lot of force. I did not have a counter hold as suggested.
Use locktite on the inner rod threads that you will screw into the steering gear. Again, tighten with the pipe wrench.
Add new ties to the dust boot and loosely attach to the boot. Slip onto the inner rod and secure. It's a tight spt to secure the boot inside, so you might want to turn your steering wheel so that the dust boot will be compact instead of being extended.
After the boot is attached, thread on the bolt that will be tightened to the outer rod. Rotate the outer rod counting the number of turns you counted when you removed it. Then tighten the nut, the attach the bolt to the other side and tighten.
Repeat for the order side as I would suggest both sides should be done.
You're alignment will now be off! My steering wheel was off a bit.
Have the front aligned!
537playing
Forum Member
Forum Member

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S80 Forum