IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

Possible Vacuum Leak or O2 sensor going out...

Help and Advice on S80 Volvo cars.

Possible Vacuum Leak or O2 sensor going out...

Postby elmo_allen » 13 Dec 2011, 23:12

Hello,

I was driving my s80 2.9L to work this morning when I started loosing power. I would try to give it more gas but no matter how far down I pushed the gas pedal, the car just wouldn't respond. After I turned it off and let it sit for a second then turned it back on, it was doing the same thing, and then it started responding again, like it was stuck or something.

I took my car to AutoZone and they gave me three codes.

P0036
P0050
P1113

When I looked up the codes, it all related to the o2 sensor. Could this be the source of my issues or is this a separate issue. Could this be as easy as replacing a fuse or do I have to take it in and get a brand new o2 sensor? Everyone I have told has said that it is a vacuum leak or water in my gas line.

Our NBC news station did a story about multiple gas stations in town that have water in their tanks. I am really hoping that it is not a lot of water in my tank, and it is condinsation. My best case is the vacuum hose.

I am not sure if it is misfiring. When the above happens, it seems like it just goes back to idle, and does not go above 1500 RPM. I checked and there is no fluid leaking, I'm sure my check engine light would be on if the bulb worked :-/ (Anyone know how to fix that as well?), and it sounds normal. (No shaking, no reving without the gas pedal being pressed, no backfiring, no rough exhaust... Nothing seems to be wrong except the fact that I cannot accelerate.).

I am sorry that I am repeating myself... :-/ I just don't think I am conveying my issue correctly.

Thanks in advanced! :twisted:
Proud Owner of a Silver 1999 Volvo S80 2.9

elmo_allen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1999 S80 2.9LNT

Re: Possible Vacuum Leak or O2 sensor going out...

Postby elmo_allen » 14 Dec 2011, 17:18

Well my worst fears have been realized.... Both O2 sensors and the throttle body need to be replaced. This is over a $2000 job. Any one have any ideas on how hard it is to replace these? I know hot to replace the throttle body but anyone know how to replace the O2 sensors? Or do I need a shop to do them? If I cannot fix this on a very small budget ( under $1000). I fear I am going to have to trade it in for something else.... Which I don't want to di because I love my emo car. :'(

elmo_allen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby dcarlson12 » 14 Dec 2011, 20:49

Just wondering who is telling you that you need to 'replace both 02 sensors'?
From looking at VADIS:

P0036 = ECM-2A2A Rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S), preheatingSignal missing. Intermittent fault
P0050 = ECM-2910 Rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) preheating, bank 2Signal missing. Permanent fault
P1113 = ECM-1100 Outer temperature sensor

It is my understanding that the rear O2 sensor only measures how effective the catalytic converter is working. It is not used to control the engine.

I don't know how the Outer temperature sensor might be used. Other than possibly when operating in open loop. Hope the experts can chime in here.

And who is saying the throttle body needs replacing?
Have you had the throttle body replaced under the recall that was out for these? It should have a yellow label on it if it has been replaced. I believe there is/was a time/mileage cut off point for these but if it hasn't been replaced, then whining to a Dealer or higher ups at Volvo might still get it replaced under warranty.
dcarlson12
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1999 S80 T6

Postby elmo_allen » 15 Dec 2011, 00:03

Thanks for replying! :twisted:

dcarlson12 wrote:Just wondering who is telling you that you need to 'replace both 02 sensors'?

The dealership. :?

dcarlson12 wrote:It is my understanding that the rear O2 sensor only measures how effective the catalytic converter is working. It is not used to control the engine.

Apparently the dealership got a throttle body code as well... and of course they did not tell me what it was... :? Are you thinking that it could be the catalytic converter?

dcarlson12 wrote:And who is saying the throttle body needs replacing?

The dealership. :?

dcarlson12 wrote:Have you had the throttle body replaced under the recall that was out for these? It should have a yellow label on it if it has been replaced. I believe there is/was a time/mileage cut off point for these but if it hasn't been replaced, then whining to a Dealer or higher ups at Volvo might still get it replaced under warranty.

I bought the car in '08 and I have never replaced the throttle body. I will check and see if it does have a yellow tag on it... because I have never noticed it before. I asked about the recall and when they pulled my car up a while back, but I cannot remember if it had a recall on it or not. I am thinking not. :? The recall is 10y or 110,000 miles... My car is 12y, 121,000 miles.

I am going to get a second opinion on Friday about this because I think that the dealership was just checking the codes and not the actual parts.
Last edited by elmo_allen on 15 Dec 2011, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

elmo_allen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby elmo_allen » 15 Dec 2011, 03:53

I checked the throttle body and it does have a Yellow tag. I checked for a date of when it was replaced, and I could not find one. So what does this mean? Could the throttle body be OK? Thanks! :twisted: Could this be a fuse issue?

elmo_allen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby elmo_allen » 15 Dec 2011, 17:59

I decided to replace the fuses, and while I was looking in the engine compartment I saw this...

Anyone know where this goes to? does it plug into the cylinder that is right in front of this? Any help will be great! Is there anything else that I need to check that is as easy as plugging it in?

elmo_allen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby elmo_allen » 15 Dec 2011, 18:38

Well I plugged in this piece and I got a "no oil pressure, stop engine." I have never gotten this message before. Before we got this message I had my mom push the accelerator to see if I could hear if anything went wrong. When I went to the rear of the car it smelled like the car was burning oil. This is a known issue to me because I have to put oil in it about every moth or two. I checked the oil, and it is two XX from the top of the stick. Could this be related to what I am dealing with or is this another issue on top of everything else?

elmo_allen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby elmo_allen » 16 Dec 2011, 18:48

Just got back from the second opinion... He said that I need a Mass Air Meter, an engine air filter and a oil pressure switch. This is the best news I have heard in the last couple of days! He said that the MAM can cause the throttle to go into limp mode and cause the main computer to ignor heated o2 sensors. He is only going to charge me $350 (parts and labor) to fix this! If this is the case... I am going to have to break out my happy dance! I will let everyone know what happens when it gets fixed. Thank!

elmo_allen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby gfkelliott » 06 Jan 2012, 01:35

Having a simular issue with my '99 s80 T6. In another forum/site, I read about someone who had success with jumping a bad fuse terminal in the engine compartment fuse box. I was considering trying the same proceedure to hopefully correct my problem but was also wondering how your experience turned out with the $350 fix?
gfkelliott

Model and Year: s80 1999

Postby elmo_allen » 10 Feb 2012, 17:52

I apologize I did not get back sooner... I did not have internet until now because of a move. Unfortunately it did not fix the issue. It did fix the other issues that I was having, but they are still saying that I have to replace my throttle body. However the mechanic that was working on my car did a quick redneck fix which was smacking it once or twice with a "hammer" :lol: probably a rubber mallet. It has been working fine since this morning, but I fear I still have to replace the unit. Any luck with yours gfkelliott?

elmo_allen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby dcarlson12 » 10 Feb 2012, 18:42

If you go for ETM replacement, possibly get the Xemodex unit?:
viewforum.php?f=12
dcarlson12
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1999 S80 T6

Postby LeadFarmer » 17 Feb 2012, 17:28

My '01 T6 144,000 needed the throttle body replaced. Acted just like you describe. Cleared up the issue. My question..is the throttle body control the same thing as the ETM?
LeadFarmer

Model and Year: 2001 S80-T6

Postby 537playing » 17 Feb 2012, 17:34

Two terms for the same item.
537playing
Forum Member
Forum Member

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S80 Forum