IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

S80 popping noise is left front

Help and Advice on S80 Volvo cars.

S80 popping noise is left front

Postby Mikey » 20 Nov 2005, 04:02

My 2000 S80 just had new struts, strut plates and bushings replaced, but I still have a popping noise in the left front when I put a strain on the left front such as going right in to a sharp corner and pops a little after I straighten up from the corner. What else could be popping?? Any help or suggetions would be appreciated.
Mikey
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 02:05

How 'bout the stab links?

Postby Chapstick » 21 Nov 2005, 03:22

Hey, did you check the end play on the stabilizer links (rods)? They connect the anti-sway bar to the struts. Also, they may not be bad, but with your new "other" parts, the ride height may be affecting their travel. Not necessarily a need to replace anything, just a little noisey under suspension "flexing" on turns.
Chapstick
 

Postby mn11569 » 21 Nov 2005, 17:37

I have the same problem that I can't figure out. Had the car to two different Volvo dealers and one mechanic with a very good reputation for suspensions in my area. None of them could find a problem with the suspension. Only thing abnormal was some tire rub on the inner wheel well passenger side. Changed the turn stops which didn't fix the popping sound.
mn11569
 

S80 popping noise in left front

Postby Mikey » 21 Nov 2005, 22:22

Chapstick-- I had replaced the stabilizer link on the right cause it was bad, but put the old one back on the left. Everything is new on the front except the one stab. link and the one strut bushing on the left which I just bought today and I am going to have it put on tommorow. If this doesn't stop it I'm going to go crazy. These little things drive me nuts! :x The thing is, it wasn't doing this on the left side when I took it in, I took it in for the right side bushing was wore out and popping, now it's fixed and the left is now popping. What do you think??
Mikey
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 02:05

Couples are the ticket

Postby Chapstick » 22 Nov 2005, 19:57

Unfortunately, a late model Volvo like the S80 can be finicky. There's something to the old adage of if there's a left and a right, do it in pairs. I've had limited success in getting by with changing "the affected" part without having the other side scream for attention. That might be the case with your setup. I do know that the strut mounts (struts, too) need to be changed at the same time frame. The links aren't as critical. The bright side is that everything will be new under there. Or you could invest in some good earplugs... Good luck.
Chapstick
 

Re: Couples are the ticket

Postby Mikey » 22 Nov 2005, 20:44

Chapstick wrote:Unfortunately, a late model Volvo like the S80 can be finicky. There's something to the old adage of if there's a left and a right, do it in pairs. I've had limited success in getting by with changing "the affected" part without having the other side scream for attention. That might be the case with your setup. I do know that the strut mounts (struts, too) need to be changed at the same time frame. The links aren't as critical. The bright side is that everything will be new under there. Or you could invest in some good earplugs... Good luck.
Just had the left side strut link and bushing replaced and the damn thing is still popping clearly on the left side while cornering or putting a strain on it. Other than ear plugs, any other suggestions?? The only other parts to replace is the A arm, stabilizer bar, or motor mounts. :?
Mikey
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 02:05

Flowchart

Postby Chapstick » 24 Nov 2005, 13:26

I can suggest a couple of things:
If you have access to a large floor jack, elevate the front end off the ground. Exercise all necessary safety precautions! The objective is to take the "suspension" parts out of play as much as possible. With the car safely supported and the front end raised (the tires on both sides have clearance to rotate without touching the ground. Start the car and turn the steering so that it rotates from rack to rack. The best case would be with both wheels removed and someone else at the steering wheel, so that you could inspect for noises. Is the popping noise detected?
If so, let us know. We'll go from there. What this will eliminate is if the links are "folding over" when you turn from end to end or if the steering limiter bushings are worn and generating the noise.

The A-arm has two bushings and at the end of the "A" is the ball joint. Usually, only the front bushing will need replacement. You can inspect that by examing the rubber "webbing" around the center stay. If it's worn, there will be lateral movement that COULD cause noise on turns. By it's highly unlikely that it would be very loud.
Chapstick
 

Re: Flowchart

Postby Mikey » 26 Nov 2005, 00:45

Chapstick wrote:I can suggest a couple of things:
If you have access to a large floor jack, elevate the front end off the ground. Exercise all necessary safety precautions! The objective is to take the "suspension" parts out of play as much as possible. With the car safely supported and the front end raised (the tires on both sides have clearance to rotate without touching the ground. Start the car and turn the steering so that it rotates from rack to rack. The best case would be with both wheels removed and someone else at the steering wheel, so that you could inspect for noises. Is the popping noise detected?
If so, let us know. We'll go from there. What this will eliminate is if the links are "folding over" when you turn from end to end or if the steering limiter bushings are worn and generating the noise.

The A-arm has two bushings and at the end of the "A" is the ball joint. Usually, only the front bushing will need replacement. You can inspect that by examing the rubber "webbing" around the center stay. If it's worn, there will be lateral movement that COULD cause noise on turns. By it's highly unlikely that it would be very loud.
I jacked the car up like you said and turned the wheel from left to right with no noises at all, now what???
Mikey
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 02:05

What haven't you replaced?

Postby Chapstick » 26 Nov 2005, 15:16

It seems like you've covered all the parts that contribute to those noises from the suspension. The anti-sway bar has rubber bushings that fasten it to the cradle that could be worn out, but that's just a guess. When the struts/bushings were being replaced, did anything get misaligned (coil spring seating, etc); were the bushing fasteners (the little "+" nut that compresses the bushings) tightened all the way down? I really don't have any other suggestions. Anyone else here with an idea to help him?
Chapstick
 

Re: What haven't you replaced?

Postby Mikey » 26 Nov 2005, 16:05

Chapstick wrote:It seems like you've covered all the parts that contribute to those noises from the suspension. The anti-sway bar has rubber bushings that fasten it to the cradle that could be worn out, but that's just a guess. When the struts/bushings were being replaced, did anything get misaligned (coil spring seating, etc); were the bushing fasteners (the little "+" nut that compresses the bushings) tightened all the way down? I really don't have any other suggestions. Anyone else here with an idea to help him?
I'm taking it to the Volvo Dealer Tuesday and they are going to check it out for me and hopefully fix it. At this point, money is almost not an object. I will let everyone know what they find out just in case someone else runs into this. Thanks for your help Chapstick!
Mikey
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 02:05

Re: What haven't you replaced?

Postby Volvojoe » 27 Nov 2005, 13:08

Mikey wrote:
Chapstick wrote:It seems like you've covered all the parts that contribute to those noises from the suspension. The anti-sway bar has rubber bushings that fasten it to the cradle that could be worn out, but that's just a guess. When the struts/bushings were being replaced, did anything get misaligned (coil spring seating, etc); were the bushing fasteners (the little "+" nut that compresses the bushings) tightened all the way down? I really don't have any other suggestions. Anyone else here with an idea to help him?
I'm taking it to the Volvo Dealer Tuesday and they are going to check it out for me and hopefully fix it. At this point, money is almost not an object. I will let everyone know what they find out just in case someone else runs into this. Thanks for your help Chapstick!


Ask the dealer about the ruuber shims they can install between the metal to metal components that attach the body to a suspension part. I can't remember exactly what part it was but it stopped a "chirping" sound I had when going over bumps. It may not be your exact problem but it is worth a try.

Another thing you might want to look at is your wheel stops. Do you have different size tires? Even the same size but a diffirenet brand or model can cause rubbing when turning. Replacing the wheel stops is easy to do yourself.
Volvojoe
 

Re: What haven't you replaced?

Postby Mikey » 04 Dec 2005, 03:04

Volvojoe wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Chapstick wrote:It seems like you've covered all the parts that contribute to those noises from the suspension. The anti-sway bar has rubber bushings that fasten it to the cradle that could be worn out, but that's just a guess. When the struts/bushings were being replaced, did anything get misaligned (coil spring seating, etc); were the bushing fasteners (the little "+" nut that compresses the bushings) tightened all the way down? I really don't have any other suggestions. Anyone else here with an idea to help him?
I'm taking it to the Volvo Dealer Tuesday and they are going to check it out for me and hopefully fix it. At this point, money is almost not an object. I will let everyone know what they find out just in case someone else runs into this. Thanks for your help Chapstick!


Ask the dealer about the ruuber shims they can install between the metal to metal components that attach the body to a suspension part. I can't remember exactly what part it was but it stopped a "chirping" sound I had when going over bumps. It may not be your exact problem but it is worth a try.

Another thing you might want to look at is your wheel stops. Do you have different size tires? Even the same size but a diffirenet brand or model can cause rubbing when turning. Replacing the wheel stops is easy to do yourself.
I"m just now getting back to you Volvojoe. You were exactly right. They put some rubber orings about the subframe bushing and new bolts. Now more noise and now more money, $350.00!! For two orings and bolts!!!! :evil: Someone needs to make this in aftermarket or start offering it at some of these OE wholesalers so we could do this ourselves. This probably whould have only took a couple of hours with a good floor jack.
Mikey
Forum Member
Forum Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 02:05


Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S80 Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cjkalb, MSNbot Media, ruymendes and 15 guests