IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

Checking for stored DTCs on S80 without a scantool

Help and Advice on S80 Volvo cars.

Checking for stored DTCs on S80 without a scantool

Postby stevick » 30 Nov 2005, 07:37

The dealer service guy showed me this trick (on the sly), claiming it will show whether any DTC fault codes are stored in the system. It works on my 2000 S80, and might be worth a try for others. Here's the procedure:
(1) start the car
(2) turn on the onboard computer to a display setting (say, average speed)
(3) hold down the "read" button on the turn signal arm for a few seconds and while still holding it down, do a quick double tap on the fog light button, then release the "read" button
(4) the message window will display the message "CHECKING DTCS", if you don't get this message, repeat (3) above until you do
(5) within a couple seconds, the message in my car changes to read "DTCS IN VEHICLE"
(6) now push the read button again to read each of the individual system modules (each push advances to read the next module sequentially). Mine reads as follows:
ABS CHECKING
SRS READY
TCM CHECKING
ECM CHECKING
AUM READY
CEM READY
DIM READY
DDM CHECKING
CCM CHECKING
LSM READY
PDM CHECKING
PSM CHECKING
REM READY
SWM READY
UEM DTC SET

I take the "DTCS IN VEHICLE" combined with "UEM DTC SET" to mean that I have a stored fault code in the Upper Electronics Module. It apparently does not give the actual code though, requiring the dealer's system to read and clear it.

I had not seen mention of this elsewhere, nor was I able to find any documentation of this function. I'm curious what readings others get. If nothing else, I hope this may help someone avoid unnecessary expense at the dealer.
stevick

CAN Functionality Check

Postby Chapstick » 30 Nov 2005, 14:25

Actual procedure is:

Turn key to pos II or start the engine.
Press and hold down [READ] on the the turn signal lever, and press the rear fog light button 3 times quickly.
Press [READ] to advance to the next item.

BCM - Brake Control Module
SAS - Steering Wheel Angle Sensor
SRS - Safety Restraint System
ECM - Engine Control Module
AUM - Audio Module
and so on.
Benefit will verify that you have a stored DTC in a system that may not be supported in the DIM window.
Chapstick

Postby stevick » 02 Dec 2005, 01:06

Thanks chapstick! Do you know what the significance, if any, of "checking" vs. "ready" on the readout?
stevick

Ready vs Checking

Postby Chapstick » 03 Dec 2005, 22:59

Ready is echo complete, whereas Checking is host dependency is waiting.
TCM, ECM, etc. still need to go through further cycles to finish verification.
DIM, AUM, SRS, etc. are checked without driving or further data exchange.

The TCM, for example, will do solenoid checks, geartronic circuit grounding checks,etc., but inorder to determine gear pressure, vpm feedback, and so on, it must be driven.
Chapstick

Re: Checking for stored DTCs on S80 without a scantool

Postby jazz2469 » 08 Feb 2013, 10:24

Is there a way to check codes for 2000 C70 2.3 motor B5234T it has turbo and I belive it to be the high pressure system I'm so confused please help :shock: :shock:
jazz2469

Model and Year: C70, 2000

Re: Checking for stored DTCs on S80 without a scantool

Postby precopster » 20 Feb 2013, 23:57

To read this vehicle you need either a Vida/Dice system to install to laptop or a Autel EU-702 scanner which has pre-loaded Volvo files on board.

Most garage scanners will also read and reset most codes. The latter 2 will also reset ABS and SRS codes for your car.
Current cars: 1995 850, 2000 V70 non turbo, 2001 V70 XC project, 2002 XC70

What we used to own:1987 740 sedan, 2002 S60AWD, 1989 740 turbo wagon, 1985 760 V6, 1995 850 wagon, 1999 V70 project car.

In forum posts please call me Mike
precopster
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Model and Year: Lots

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S80 Forum