Checking for stored DTCs on S80 without a scantool

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
stevick

Checking for stored DTCs on S80 without a scantool

Postby stevick » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:37 am

The dealer service guy showed me this trick (on the sly), claiming it will show whether any DTC fault codes are stored in the system. It works on my 2000 S80, and might be worth a try for others. Here's the procedure:
(1) start the car
(2) turn on the onboard computer to a display setting (say, average speed)
(3) hold down the "read" button on the turn signal arm for a few seconds and while still holding it down, do a quick double tap on the fog light button, then release the "read" button
(4) the message window will display the message "CHECKING DTCS", if you don't get this message, repeat (3) above until you do
(5) within a couple seconds, the message in my car changes to read "DTCS IN VEHICLE"
(6) now push the read button again to read each of the individual system modules (each push advances to read the next module sequentially). Mine reads as follows:
ABS CHECKING
SRS READY
TCM CHECKING
ECM CHECKING
AUM READY
CEM READY
DIM READY
DDM CHECKING
CCM CHECKING
LSM READY
PDM CHECKING
PSM CHECKING
REM READY
SWM READY
UEM DTC SET

I take the "DTCS IN VEHICLE" combined with "UEM DTC SET" to mean that I have a stored fault code in the Upper Electronics Module. It apparently does not give the actual code though, requiring the dealer's system to read and clear it.

I had not seen mention of this elsewhere, nor was I able to find any documentation of this function. I'm curious what readings others get. If nothing else, I hope this may help someone avoid unnecessary expense at the dealer.

Chapstick

CAN Functionality Check

Postby Chapstick » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:25 pm

Actual procedure is:

Turn key to pos II or start the engine.
Press and hold down [READ] on the the turn signal lever, and press the rear fog light button 3 times quickly.
Press [READ] to advance to the next item.

BCM - Brake Control Module
SAS - Steering Wheel Angle Sensor
SRS - Safety Restraint System
ECM - Engine Control Module
AUM - Audio Module
and so on.
Benefit will verify that you have a stored DTC in a system that may not be supported in the DIM window.

stevick

Postby stevick » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:06 am

Thanks chapstick! Do you know what the significance, if any, of "checking" vs. "ready" on the readout?

Chapstick

Ready vs Checking

Postby Chapstick » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:59 pm

Ready is echo complete, whereas Checking is host dependency is waiting.
TCM, ECM, etc. still need to go through further cycles to finish verification.
DIM, AUM, SRS, etc. are checked without driving or further data exchange.

The TCM, for example, will do solenoid checks, geartronic circuit grounding checks,etc., but inorder to determine gear pressure, vpm feedback, and so on, it must be driven.

jazz2469
Year and Model: C70, 2000

Re: Checking for stored DTCs on S80 without a scantool

Postby jazz2469 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:24 am

Is there a way to check codes for 2000 C70 2.3 motor B5234T it has turbo and I belive it to be the high pressure system I'm so confused please help :shock: :shock:

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Flag: Australia

Postby precopster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 pm

To read this vehicle you need either a Vida/Dice system to install to laptop or a Autel EU-702 scanner which has pre-loaded Volvo files on board.

Most garage scanners will also read and reset most codes. The latter 2 will also reset ABS and SRS codes for your car.
Current cars: 2000 V70 non turbo, 2001 V70 XC project, 2001 V70 T5, 2002 XC70

What we used to own:1995 850 sedan, 1987 740 sedan, 2002 S60AWD, 1989 740 turbo wagon, 1985 760 V6, 1995 850 wagon, 1999 V70 project car, 1998 V70R AWD.
Please call me Mike

doscascos
Year and Model: 96 850
Flag: Mexico

Postby doscascos » Wed May 11, 2016 12:31 am

Sooo, dtc set means theres a code that you need vida to read?

Randy Oehlert
Year and Model: 1999 S 80 2.9
Flag: United States of America

Postby Randy Oehlert » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:33 am

I tried this way to check why my cel had just come on a few days ago on my S 80 2.9. I tried several times and get nothing showing up in my display except what should be there, average mph. Average speed, fuel milage 23. ,mpg. Etc...
Nothing about the DTC or anything different. The car is running great, everything works no problems at all. I have 132k miles, in the last month Iv replaced all struts, shocks , all new brakes rotors calipers pads, new timing belt ,water pump ,timing belt tensioner, pulley everything new and I done 5he same with serpentine belt system.
Took a road trip last week to south Texas logged about 1000 miles on Texas highways where speed limits are 80 mph.so I set cruise at 85 maybe 87 mph. drove at that constant speed for 500 miles there San Antonio and then the same on returning home north Texas. 22 to 23 mpg. Car running perfect. Air conditioning cold, out side temperature 90 / 95 f. Humidity close to 80 %. I have rebuilt this S 80 2.9 over the past several months every nut and bolt in my shop by myself except for help from FPC ,Matthews, ,and a few other sites lots and lots of parts orders and lots of reading about Volvo and mostly S802.9. There is no volvo dealer with tools, knowledge and experience in my area that I would let work on my volvo.
The closest true volvo dealership is over 350 miles from me. Over 700 mile round trip to find why my cel is on. I feel sure it a emissions system problem. But I only need a starting point. I'm not a part replacer. I'm electrical engineer and master mechanic/technician working in the automotive industry since 1977 for GM.
BUT right now I'm feeling like the volvo is winning, I just don't have the tools I need to get the info I need. me vs volvo and right now I'm backing away , time to find purchase the right tool for the job.
Can someone inform me. where I can purchase a reader or software or whatever it takes to be able to read everything on my S 80 controls systems. So far every reader that has been connected to my car can't read the DTC or shows no codes with the cel glowing bright? Thank you in advance for your help. And sorry for running on and on about my volvo and my problems with Volvo. I originally got the car to flip it, fix it up and sell it for profit, then buy something different a and do it again, but this is my first Volvo and I ended up falling for her. She's my viking call her the Swed.
but I'm supposed to be loyal to GM, that's ok, she's part GM.. I'M GONE over and out ...

Cees Klumper
Year and Model: S80 T6 2003
Flag: France

Postby Cees Klumper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:02 am

My scanner-re-setter is the icarsoft i906 that is specifically for volvo. Less than $100 and it's been perfect for my S80 and c70. Good luck,

Return to “Volvo S80 Forum”