IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

How to clear the Emission System Service Required warning.

Help and Advice on S80 Volvo cars.

How to clear the Emission System Service Required warning.

Postby esb » 03 Dec 2006, 20:34

I recently changed the spark plugs in my 1999 2.4L 170hp non turbo S80. A few hundred miles later the Emission System Service Required warning message was displayed along with the amber engine warning light.

The car is operating well and fuel consumption has improved since changing the plugs. Does anyone know how to cancel the warning messages, as I believe they are spurious. Tried the Service reset procedure, but this doesn't work for Emission light. I heard that disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so may do the trick, but am a bit dubious that this will help and haven't tried that yet. The car has covered 150 000 trouble free miles.

Thank you.
esb

Postby MadeInJapan » 03 Dec 2006, 21:46

Before blindly resettting the light, read your codes in case there is some type of major problem. You'll need a scan tool. Most any should work for what's coming up. AutoZone or just about any auto parts store should be able to do it for you. If they'll read your codes but not reset them (some will be sticklers about this...they don't want to be responsible for any damage), then you can "rent" one from them...put down the cost of buying one which you'll get back when you return their scan tool to them.

Post up the codes you get ones you read them.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
94 850 Sedan NA Drk Blue/Tan
'00 V40 Purple/Grey Mobil-1
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Model and Year: '98 S70 T5

Postby esb » 03 Dec 2006, 22:30

Thanks for your advice. I'll try to get the codes first as you suggest. But having found the codes, how do I reset the warnings? Do I need a dedicated reset tool or can it be done without any extra equipment?
esb

Postby MadeInJapan » 03 Dec 2006, 22:48

Some Volvo codes can't be reset...usually the Air bag (SRS) AC, etc.- things that are Volvo specific. However, the main stuff...engine management, transmission, ignition, etc. can be reset by hitting the "erase codes" button on most any scanner. Good luck and let us know how it worked out.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
94 850 Sedan NA Drk Blue/Tan
'00 V40 Purple/Grey Mobil-1
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Model and Year: '98 S70 T5

Postby esb » 04 Dec 2006, 21:01

OK, thanks. I'll llet you know how I get on.
esb

Postby esb » 31 Jan 2007, 22:44

Thanks again for the info and advice. Codes indicate oxygen sensor which I'll get changed. I would have expected fuel consumption to have increased with u/s O2 sensor, but although consumption ok, emissions will prob be too high, so worth changing. Now on the look out for a sensor I can afford.

Eric
esb

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S80 Forum