1991 volo 740, base model, automatic, regina.
I have been reluctant to post here, because I thought I could solve my problem with the seemingly infinite resources available on this forum. Alas.
The story is, as I was driving one day, between twenty and thirty miles an hour down a residential road, my volvo stops running. Suddenly my check engine light goes on and simultaneously my car stalls. It was all I could do to get it to the side of the road before I lost momentum. No start since then. This is what I have done/replaced so far:
1. Timing belt seems ok; I can see the cam shaft spin when the ignition is turned. Also, I can fee air coming out of the tail pipe.
2. I can hear the in tank fuel pump whine as the key turns.
3. I replaced the fule pump relay.
4. The fuel pump fuse is ok.
5. I replaced the distributor cap and distributor rotor.
6. I repaced the ignition coil.
7. Prior to replacing the ignition coil thare was no spark when a spark plug was set near a grounded bolt.
7. I have about a half a tank fo gas.
8. The OBD gave me 1-1-1 on 2 and 6.
My initial thoughts were that is was the timing belt or the fuel pump. Since there was no indication of trouble before it stalled, I do not suspect the fuel pump. Since the cam shaft spins I do not believe it to be the timing belt. The only thing that could be considered a warning was that occasionally on the fisrt turn of the ignition it would not start, but on the second turn it would go. Now it will turn over, all lights come on, but it will not start. The tachometer indicates about 1000 rpms when I turn the ignition, so I do not believe it to be the rpm sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!