IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

S70 speakers demystified.

How to integrate your phone into your Volvo's audio. Which speakers to buy to replace old ones. Recommended head unit brands and models... This is where we talk watts, ohms, GPS, iPod integration, component installation, tips, tricks and advice for making your Volvo's audio, video, ticket avoiding and mapping gadgets work better than ever.

S70 speakers demystified.

Postby Ozark Lee » 29 Jul 2013, 19:34

I posted earlier asking about recommended speaker sizes to replace the blown speakers in my daughter's S70 and the response was pretty much crickets. I had to make a couple of trips to the local Pick & Pull for some other parts so I tried to pull the speakers from a donor S70 while I was there but they were rotted as well. The foam on the edges of the cones had basically turned to dust on all of them in the lot. I pulled a speaker for each door and a rear deck speaker anyway, I think the Pick & Pull just gave them to me or charged very little for them since they were bad anyway and I was buying a bunch of other stuff. I figured having them would let me experiment on fitting other speakers into the frames.

The rear deck speakers are 8 inch and have a proprietary mounting frame. The timing was just right and we had a fellow MVS member that had a set of 8 inch Blaupunkt speakers for sale in the classified section. His price was fair and I bought them from him.

Rear Deck Speakers.

To access the rear deck speakers you need to remove the cover from the rear deck. It is held in place with two plastic door panel retainer clips in the front and there are some tabs molded into the rear of the panel that mate up with slots cut into the rear deck. To remove the panel I first folded the rear seats down. From there I removed the rear seat side bolsters. The bolsters just snap into place with a single mounting loop and pulling them outward about ¼ of the way down from the top will release them. So as to not stress them, I also removed the trim rings for the seat belts.

Removing the panel is fairly straight forward, just lift it upward to release the panel pins. The two pins are located just in front of the rear speakers. Once the pins release the panel can be further lifted and slightly bowed upward in the center to clear the trim around the rear window. Once the window trim is cleared just pull forward and the panel will be free. Without removing the seat belts the panel won't come entirely free from the car but you can move it sufficiently to get easy access to the speakers.

Once the panel is off the speakers are exposed and you can remove them. The speakers are held in place with two hex head screws on the front edge of the speakers. They have an 8 mm head and I just used a 1/4” drive ratchet and a deep well socket to remove them.

GEDC1140.JPG

Note the wire colors on the connector before you remove the connector and the position (front or back) of those wires. This will be important to get the phasing correct on the replacement speakers.

GEDC1138.JPG

Once the speaker is out of the car you can begin the process of removing the old speaker and install in the new one into the old Volvo factory frame. The speaker is held into the frame with four torx head screws. Use a T-20 torx bit to remove the screws.

GEDC1148.JPG

I like to keep the factory connectors when I can and this can be done on the rear deck speakers with relative ease. I used a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel to cut the bar to the tweeter which also has the factory connector molded into it.

GEDC1150.JPG

The speaker is still held to the frame with an adhesive. Unlike most Volvo adhesives, this stuff actually sticks and you will need to pry the speaker away from the frame with a screwdriver. Keep in mind that you are trying to save the frame, not the speaker, as you do this. Once you get one part to release the rest of the adhesive releases with relative ease. To complete the removal cut the wires from the connector to the voice coil on the speaker.

The speakers that I bought fit the frames with no modifications. They are Blaupunkt Gtx 803sc.

GEDC1157.JPG

As of this writing the speakers are listed as no longer available at Crutchfield but there were a few on Amazon and eBay. The universe of full range 8 inch speakers is pretty small. Cruchfield has a marine speaker and Walmart offers a Boss Audio “Phantom Skull” speaker, complete with eyes that light up in the presence of audio, but there isn't much more. Subwoofers might be an option but that isn't really what I was after.

In order to get the new speaker wires to the new speakers I drilled a small hole in the factory frame next to the connector.

GEDC1151.JPG

From here it is simply a matter of screwing in the replacement speaker and soldering on the speaker wires. Use the factory mounting screws to secure the new speaker to the frame. The screw that holds the connector won't draw down flush with the top of the speaker so just get it snug.

GEDC1155.JPG

On the rear deck speakers the positive terminal was the front terminal. I used a red sharpie to differentiate it as I took the old speaker out. The wire colors and phasing polarities on a S70 are as follows.

Dash Left
Red/White +
Yellow/White -

Dash Right
Yellow/Green
Green -

Left Front Door
Green/White +
Green/Brown -

Right Front Door
Red/Black +
Red/White -

Left Rear Door
Brown/White +
Brown/Black -

Left Rear Deck
Brown/White +
Brown/Black -

Right Rear Door
Yellow/Black +
Yellow/Green -

Right Rear Deck
Pink/Black +
Pink/White -

The speakers will work if they are wired without regard to phasing but it results in a "blurry" sound stage image and diminished bass response. It basically confuses your brain.

Following the phasing guide, I soldered the new speaker wires onto the factory terminals and re-mounted the speakers. From there just plug them in and re-install the rear deck cover. The only tricky part is getting the panel clips lined up with the holes before re-seating the panel. Re-install the seat belt trim and the seat side bolsters. The bolsters just snap back in with a firm push.

Rear Door Speakers.

Crutchfield's size guide calls for 5 ¼” speakers for the front and rear doors. The actual proper size is 6 ½'” in both cases. For the doors I didn't get real carried away since this was more of a maintenance replacement rather than a full blown system upgrade. Blown speakers with dragging voice coils sound really bad so anything that isn't blown is a substantial improvement. For the doors I selected an economy Kenwood model that was on sale at Best Buy. The front door speakers are depth limited to about 2 ¼” from the base of the frame to the back of the magnet and I just got matching speakers that met that specification for both the front and the rear doors.

In order to access the rear speakers it is necessary to remove the door panel. There are several threads on panel removal and Robert (rspi) posted a video. Rather than re-plow old ground I will just link to the process:

viewtopic.php?t=55202&p=277964

There are additional threads on the subject in the repair database.

As Robert noted, the door panel mounting clips, even when using a proper panel removal tool, are guaranteed to break in one form or another. Volvo's “green” initiative has resulted in adhesives that don't stick and plastics that disintegrate. I guess they feel good about themselves but it really sucks when you try to remove the panel. There is a very good chance that some of the panel clips themselves will break and it is a good idea to pick up some replacements from a dealer before you even start. The part number is 9182897 and they retail for $2.15 each but you can get them a bit cheaper through the websites. I have tried to find some more generic panel clips at the local auto parts stores but I have not found any that fit correctly. If I am working on the doors I pick up at least a dozen which will usually be enough to replace the clips that clips that break on four doors.

GEDC1183.JPG

The plastic mounts for the clips are an even bigger problem but they are actually fairly easy to fix. A hot glue gun will re-attach the mounts quickly and they seem to hold up well enough to get the panel back on and it will stay on at least until you try to remove it again. The outline of where the mounting clips were attached to the panel have residual, green colored (how quaint), adhesive on the panel itself and you just need to line the clip back up to that outline when you glue it back on.

GEDC1181.JPG

GEDC1182.JPG

As you can see in the pictures above, the environmentally friendly foam will have disintegrated and it will just rattle in the new speakers if you leave it there. The foam gets gooey if you press it so it is best removed with a shop vac to just suck it out of the back of the speaker grill.

To remove the speaker from the door remove the two T-25 torx screws and then pop the lower clips free. Be sure to note the wire colors for phasing purposes. I again used the red sharpie to note the positive lead.

GEDC1169.JPG

GEDC1170.JPG

The rear door speakers come out of their mounting frames much the same way as the rear deck speakers. They are held in with four torx screws and adhesive. Just remove the screws and pry the old speaker out.

GEDC1179.JPG

The way the connectors are configured on the mount it makes it very easy to solder the new speaker wires in and keep the factory connector intact. The tabs on the inside of the frame are an ideal place to solder on the new wires.

GEDC1160.JPG

In my case the mounting tabs on the replacement speakers lines up perfectly with the factory holes so completing the installation was simply a matter of screwing the speaker back into the frame. Installation of the new speaker to the door is the reverse of removal and it is simply a matter of installing the two mounting screws, plugging the connector back in, and re-installing the panel.

Front Door Speakers.

After removing the panel from the front door which is done with, more or less, the same methods used on the rear panel you can remove the speaker from the door. In order to remove the front door panel you will also need to remove the cover trim plate for the wires to the mirror. Those mounts are very fragile and extra caution needs to be used when removing the cover plate. The speaker is removed by twisting the red locking pins 90 degrees and then using a pair of piers to remove the entire pin. The bottom of the speaker frame is secured with a single T-25 torx head screw.

Volvo departed from the glue and screws method of securing the speaker to the frames on the front speakers and wen with a twist tab and adhesive design. To remove the speaker from the frame just break the twist tabs off with a pair of pliers and then pry the speaker out of the frame.

GEDC1187.JPG

GEDC1188.JPG

GEDC1190.JPG

The connectors on the front speakers are part of the old speaker itself and it can't be reused like they were on the rear speakers.

The tab mounting method also leaves no factory holes to mount the new speakers with. I used some short self drilling screws to secure the new speakers to the frame.

GEDC1184.JPG

For wiring I matched the wire colors for phasing and used solder and heat shrink to splice the new speaker wires with the factory wires. Other options are crimp style butt splices or tap style insulation displacement splices.

GEDC1186.JPG

From here it is a matter of re-installing the speaker frame with the new speaker and door panel. The front door panels usually require more repair than the rear panels since the panel wants to split away from the trash / junk bins and it takes more glue. Make double sure that you have all of the connectors, including the trunk / fuel door switch and the mirror switches, plugged back in before snapping the panel back in place. The speaker itself is secured to the door by pressing the red push pins back into the holes and installing the Torx screw.

Crank up the tunes and enjoy, the louder the radio is the less you hear the other rattles and squeaks.

...Lee
Please log in or register to see attachments.
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC
Previous: 1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Re: S70 speakers demystified.

Postby matthew1 » 29 Jul 2013, 19:41

Wow, killer tutorial, Lee. Adding to the Repair Database.
Please buy from MVS sponsors. It keeps this site on the web.
Like this spam-free, organized forum? Thank a moderator.
Help keep MVS running: shop Amazon with this link.
Thanks for choosing MVS!

1997 850 T5
2004 V70 R [gone]
matthew1
Site Admin

Model and Year: 850 T5, 1997

Postby ThinAir » 30 Jul 2013, 02:56

Lee,

Very nice work-thank you.
ThinAir
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1999 S70 T5M

Postby burnout8488 » 01 Aug 2013, 02:55

Awesome! Glad to see my Blaupunkts went to help create a guide for the forum :-)

Do they sound... normal? Any difference despite these speakers all being 4 ohm and the factory Volvo speakers being 8 ohm?
'99 S70 AWD/FWD - 173K
'96 855 Platinum - 185K
'97 854 Manual - 220K - Woman's
burnout8488
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 1999 S70 AWD

Postby Ozark Lee » 01 Aug 2013, 04:04

burnout8488 wrote:Awesome! Glad to see my Blaupunkts went to help create a guide for the forum :-)

Do they sound... normal? Any difference despite these speakers all being 4 ohm and the factory Volvo speakers being 8 ohm?

They worked great and my daughter is thrilled. The impedance is no big deal, by the time I got done the lumped impedance at the rear was 2 Ohms since I put another set of 4 Ohm speakers in the rear doors and they are in parallel.

Most modern headunits can drive a flower pot. Back in the early days of solid state amplifiers (1960s and 1970s) the impedance was real critical since the output transistors would overheat and blow if there wasn't a good nominal impedance match. With the modern stuff it just doesn't care anymore.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Postby LASteve » 07 Aug 2013, 04:01

Amazing write up as always, Lee. I'm replacing my fronts tomorrow and you've made sure it will be easy.
Current Sled: 2002 V70XC

Volvos I used to own:
99 V70XC
97 855 NA
87 245 DL
LASteve
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 2002 V70XC

Postby JamieWho » 28 Aug 2013, 19:15

Wow. Thank you so much for this instructional post.
I registered just to say thanks and that it has confirmed my suspicions of what size should be used for replacements in my S70. I tried to tackle this previously when I removed the driver door panel to repair the disintegrating glue (the whole panel was loose) and noticed that I couldn't figure out how to get the front door mounts off (the red pins confused me and I didn't want to break anything...yet).
I have been using a rubber cement type of glue to reattach the panel clip mounts and it seems to be holding up (although I haven't dared a second panel removal yet).

You didn't mention the front dash speakers being replaced, were those okay? I'm happy with mine right now, but I wondered if anyone has trouble with them in this year model range (2000's).
JamieWho

Model and Year: S70 2000

Postby Ozark Lee » 28 Aug 2013, 22:17

Welcome to MVS,

In my case the dash tweeters were fine so I just left them alone. The magnets on the dash speakers for the 850s had a nasty habit of falling off but I haven't heard of any real problems with the 70 series cars.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A
'96 850 N/A
'98 S70 T5
'99 V70XC
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo Car Audio, iPod, XM, GPS, DVD, Speakers, Amps, Radar Detectors