IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

Reduced Engine Performance

Help and Advice on S40, V40 and V50. In this forum you'll find S40/V40/V50-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.
1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40
2004 - 2004 V50

Reduced Engine Performance

Postby CREUS » 18 Nov 2009, 12:35

Please help - I have a 2004 S40 T5 Geartronic with 100k kms. The car has an intermittent and re occuring problem which the dealer and Volvo SA cannot solve.

On long downhills and with the vehicle coasting downhill, with my foot completely off the accelerator pedal, the orange warning light will sometimes come on and a "Reduced Engine Performance" message appears. The car loses its power and goes into a "limp mode". If i pull off the road, switch the car off and then immediately on again, the car has its full power back however the warning light and message are still displayed. After some time driving with normal to hard accelleration, the warning light and message disappear.

This "reduced engine performance" problem is intermittent and only happens when the car is coasting downhill with my foot off the accelerator pedal. The Volvo dealer has replaced the turbo control value with 3 different ones, replaced the air flow meter, fuel pump, tried a new computer, checked all hoses and has now replaced the turbo, all to no avail.

When the dealer checks the fault codes, the codes are inconsistant sometimes showing boost pressure problems, lean mixture, amongst other codes etc.

This has been going on for six months now and i don't know what else to do. The dealer and Volvo SA say they have tried and checked everything they can.

Any suggestions?
CREUS

Model and Year: S40 2004

Re: Reduced Engine Performance

Postby CREUS » 07 Dec 2009, 07:41

This problem still persists!
Something new that i have learnt is that if I press the brake pedal briefly as the car starts to coast downhill, this action seems to prevent the car from incurring this annoying problem of going into a "reduced engine performance" mode.

Any ideas or suggestions on possible causes will be appreciated.
CREUS

Model and Year: S40 2004

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S40, V40 and V50 Forum