IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

2002 s40 1.9T Timing

Help and Advice on S40, V40 and V50. In this forum you'll find S40/V40/V50-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.
1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40
2004 - 2004 V50

2002 s40 1.9T Timing

Postby mxzxrider » 21 Nov 2009, 13:13

Started a timing belt change following instructions I found somewhere on line. Got down to the point where it told me to remove the the crank pulley. (I found later where I didn't really need to remove the pulley!!) Under the car with a long bar trying to break the nut loose and felt and heard a couple of "clicks". Didn't think too much about it at 1st but then realized I could get the belt off without taking the pulley off. So I've taken the belt off but now I'm wondering if the cam gear spun inside the belt and if that was the "clicking" I felt? The top timing marks do not appear to line up with the cover marks like they did originally, but I could just be paranoid. Not knowing what happened, what should I do now? The old belt is off and I'm afraid to put the new 1 on.
Last edited by matthew1 on 27 Nov 2009, 01:54, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited out " HELP!!" from title. Please read the forum rules here http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8860
mxzxrider

Re: 2002 s40 1.9T Timing HELP!!

Postby JDS60R » 23 Nov 2009, 04:27

Its best to make sure the cams and crank are lined up correctly before going forward with the prodedure. make sure to relieve the variable valve timing tension by turning the crank forwards and then backwards per the procedure. After you have done that the timing marks shoud be aligned. If not you will need to correct things before moving forward.
Once finished replacing the belt, tensioners pulley etc,just line up everything per the procedure and then (once belt tension is set) rotate the engine a few times (slowly by hand to make sure everything(pistons and valves) can move without without hitting each other. Recheck the timing marks after you rotate the crank a few times as well. Make sure everything is timed correctly before starting. Take your time and use a good light so you can see the marks well.
Please log in or register to see attachments.
Streetlight Insurance Brokers See what the market has to offer you !!!
Car, Home, Boat & Motorcycle Insurance in Tennessee
"Now its your turn to start saving"
Free VIDA Volvo code readings at my Mount Juliet, TN location
JDS60R
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Model and Year: 2007 S60R 2004 XC70

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S40, V40 and V50 Forum