IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

2005 Volvo s40 won't start

Help and Advice on S40, V40 and V50. In this forum you'll find S40/V40/V50-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.
1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40
2004 - 2004 V50

2005 Volvo s40 won't start

Postby sb11 » 24 Aug 2011, 05:10

2005 Volvo s40 won't start. Ran fine today, but won't turn over tonight. Overhead lights and check engine light comes on, as well as the windshield wipers (even though they are not set to the "on" position.) Tried to jump start it, but just hear a clicking sound and then a small buzzing in the engine compartment. Just had the ignition switch replaced last year when it stuck and would not release the key. Any advice about what the problem might be? Thank you.

Day 2- Talked to Volvo service today and they said that it could be the battery, even though I stressed that the lights work. They had no other suggestions on what the problem might be.
sb11

Model and Year: 2005

Re: 2005 Volvo s40 won't start

Postby Volvo_uk_newbie » 31 Aug 2011, 20:33

hi,

I had a simliar issue with my 850 which turned out to be the fuel relay, your hear a clicking noise from the relay box or no clicking at all - it should just click once when you turn the key
Volvo_uk_newbie

Model and Year: 850 1994

Postby joolsax » 09 Sep 2011, 09:25

Hi hope you got your car running, if not this may help, my volvo s40 just stop running, fine one minet stop the next
made a sorts of clicking noises, i thought it was the starter,its a auto-matic so no bump start, after a call with my mechanic friend
he told be it was the battary, a cell had just gone, gotta new battary started no probs,also the reves were hunting [uneven}
and the car would keep cutting out , that turned out to be the stepper motor its located right on the front of the engine
got 4 star like heads, he took off the cover spraded cleaner in it pu the cover back on cars running grate, this may happen again
he tells me, so it somthing that you may have problems with in the feuture, if the problem persist check all vacume pipes
they can cause probs too, good luck hope this helps
joolsax

Model and Year: s40 p869trl

Postby carlosshane1477 » 10 Sep 2011, 09:13

I just had this problem u can not exchange relay fuel pump relay in the drawer under the ashtray black relay in the first row is a pump relay and a second row or blue at the top Green one Do NOT SWAP it! Drive fast through the row of relay green / blue 1 of 3 relays and it worked u can exchange them, but make sure U test taken first to ensure they can be exchanged or jumping legs 87a 87 I think over from the first third row right, but the use UR head. see more Volvo repair guides at automd.
carlosshane1477

Model and Year: 2008 volvo c30

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S40, V40 and V50 Forum