DIY tutorials and owners' discussion on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
I have a V70 2.4 T with 150K miles. I have a bad idle surge (550 to 1100 rpm). The dealer said it was sticking valves in the transmission, wanted $4000.00 to repair. I have a hard time believing this. If I hold the accelerator pedle to keep the RPM to about 750, it stays steady. How can I adjust the idle speed. Has anyone else had this problem? What do you suggest trying. I had the tranny flushed.
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 23:52
- Location: Mississippi
- Model and Year: V70 2001
Hello gulfcoastie, Does this happen in neutral? This could be the beginnings of ETM failure? There has been alot posted on this subject. Has this car had the ETM software update installed? Last I heard it was called "Service campaign #155"; free at Volvo dealers. They can tell you if it's been installed in your car. Could you check the ETM and the MAF sensor for dirt/gunk? Cleaning these items has helped many people. Good luck and please post back. Kira
- Forum Member
- Posts: 134
- Joined: 07 Apr 2009, 14:24
- Location: Hackensack, NJ USA
- Model and Year: V70, 2002
I have a 2001 xc70 with these exact symtoms. I did have the ecm computer upgrade and it did help for a while.
Now it is doing it again. Few things I am going to check for ( when it gets warmer out) are
1. EGR valve, I am going to remove it and clean it ,make sure the carbon is removed and the valve functions. A faulty egr can cause surging.
2. pcv system, going to go through the whole thing
3. I have an oil issue and I believe it is from a clogged turbo oil return line.
4. check all vacuum lines, vacuum leaks can cause surging.
5. Use throttle bore cleaner and clean the throttle bore,etc.
6. Get new spark plugs and gap them.
Hopefully with these above repairs ,it will solve the surging
- Forum Member
- Posts: 461
- Joined: 18 Jul 2006, 20:07
Return to Volvo V70 & XC-70 (2001-2007), S60 (2001-2009)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: DGM, theCman, vtl and 54 guests