IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

2001 V70 tranny problems

DIY tutorials and owners' discussion on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

2001 V70 tranny problems

Postby Emil » 03 May 2012, 03:37

Not sure if I am doing this right, or putting this post in the proper location, so please bear with me.... first timer here.

I just recently bought a Volvo V70 2001 model 2.4L T, with about 121K miles (vin YV1SW58D112038817). I have always liked Volvo and we had several in my family when I lived in Iceland. These were the classic 240s of the 70’s and 80’. And my dad even had a Volvo Lapplander, the Swedish “Hummer” of its time. So I decided to buy this good looking V70. It was a bit of an impulse buy and I did my research after the fact. Had I known about the issues with the transmission I now know, I may have shied away from it. But now it’s in my driveway I will have to deal with it, just like the boyfriends our girls bring home…. the good with the bad.

So I have few questions regarding what I have read and what I might be able to do to help. Yes, I do have all the transmission problems, flare, hard shifts, delayed shifts, etc. etc…

1. Starting with the easy ones, I am planning on changing out the B4 servo cover. Is one better than another or should I just get one from IPD?

2. Also easy, I think I may replace the transmission mounts as often suggested. Should I go with IPD soft or hard bushings?

3. I can’t tell if the stop neutral feature has been disabled. When stop on a light it doesn’t feel like it disengages, but I can’t tell for sure. Any way to tell for sure without hooking it up a tester?

4. One of the big one is the programming. I have no idea if it has been updated or not. The next Volvo dealer is 5 hours away. I see I can buy VADIS Dice for about $200 on Ebay. Can I use this to check and then maybe upload a newer program?

5. Seen a lot about the Shift Adapt Procedure. Some say it’s a DIY other say it HAS to be done by a dealer using VADIS. This is where I come back to the question if I could get the VADIS and the Dice and with that, if I could do the job or if I need something more.

6. On another subject. I do not know if the timing belt has been changed. Is it safe to visually inspect the belt and if no visible cracking, to say it good as is?

With many thanks to those who take their time to share their expertise.

Emil Sigtryggsson
Grand Forks, ND
Emil
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: Volvo V70, 2001 2.4T

Re: 2001 V70 tranny problems

Postby BKM98 S70 T5 » 03 May 2012, 04:25

-
YV1SW58D112038817

I know it is after the fact but your VIN turns up 40 records on the FREE CARFAX which is a lot for a car with so little miles. Not sure if South Dakota requires a car with a Salvaged Title (NOT That Yours Is One) to be listed as such on the Title. Maybe worth while to know it's History if you have not already done so before putting a lot of money into it.

https://secure.carfax.com/creditCard.cf ... me=&subId=

Blessings,
BKM
-
BKM98 S70 T5
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Model and Year: S70 T5 98

Postby IVIUSTANG » 03 May 2012, 05:00

Hi Emil

I just ran the VIN through Experian Auto check and here is the notable history I found:

Taxi use from 0 to 24000 miles in New Jersey
Has been registered in three different states not including North Dakota
04/15/2003 COLLISION WITH A PARKED MOTOR VEHICLE (Case #:030405968)
Auctioned four times by dealers

Jesse
1998 S70 T5 SE 290,000 KM sideswiped total loss(Sweet ride!)
2007 S60 2.5T loaded 63,000KM SOLD!
2006 XC70 220,000 KM, 2" BadSwede lift kit and steel skidplate
IVIUSTANG
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 2006 XC70

Postby JDS60R » 03 May 2012, 05:31

Welcome Emil -lets get you some answers

1. Starting with the easy ones, I am planning on changing out the B4 servo cover. Is one better than another or should I just get one from IPD?

IPD one is fine.

2. Also easy, I think I may replace the transmission mounts as often suggested. Should I go with IPD soft or hard bushings?

Stock turns out to be the preferred as AM transmits too much vibration for some.

3. I can’t tell if the stop neutral feature has been disabled. When stop on a light it doesn’t feel like it disengages, but I can’t tell for sure. Any way to tell for sure without hooking it up a tester?

I am not much help here. I would just check with Volvo nest time you are near them.

4. One of the big one is the programming. I have no idea if it has been updated or not. The next Volvo dealer is 5 hours away. I see I can buy VADIS Dice for about $200 on Ebay. Can I use this to check and then maybe upload a newer program?

The AM DICE or VADIS can not load a program. You can go to the dealer or use any other process they allow from https://www.volvotechinfo.com/

5. Seen a lot about the Shift Adapt Procedure. Some say it’s a DIY other say it HAS to be done by a dealer using VADIS. This is where I come back to the question if I could get the VADIS and the Dice and with that, if I could do the job or if I need something more.

You can reset adaptations with DICE on all 99 and newer. I will let others chime in on disconnecting battery type solutions if they exist.

6. On another subject. I do not know if the timing belt has been changed. Is it safe to visually inspect the belt and if no visible cracking, to say it good as is?

No - assumptions here lead to new intake valves. Replace the belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump with OEM parts and use provided sticker to advise you of when you did it. You are driving on borrowed time as even the AM parts come with a sticker.

Great to see another Emil here !!!!!!!!! Welcome !!!
Streetlight Insurance Brokers See what the market has to offer you !!!
Car, Home, Boat & Motorcycle Insurance in Tennessee
"Now its your turn to start saving"
Free VIDA Volvo code readings at my Mount Juliet, TN location
JDS60R
MVS Moderator
MVS Moderator

Model and Year: 2007 S60R 2004 XC70

Postby coflynn » 03 May 2012, 13:40

1. AFAIK the B4 Servo Covers are all actual Volvo parts, so doesn't really matter where you get it from. I did the IPDUSA one, and have some additional notes beyond what they specify on this post in MVS.

2. I went with hard (poly) top mount because it seemed less wasteful, as I already had the round type that IPDUSA sells the insert for. For transmission (torque) mount I used OEM, someone has even suggested a way of replacing just the bushings here, although it's more jerry-rigged! There is a little more vibration at Idle, but I don't find it excessive. I also don't deal with stop & go traffic, so in a typical drive don't have too much time to think about idle vibrations.

4. The DICE/VIDA (VADIS is the old software, VIDA is the newer name) will be potentially one of the most useful tools you can purchase. I bought mine from here for $150. It's a little bit of a crap-shoot I think about quality, mine worked well though. Note VIDA also comes with complete instructions, troubleshooting, specs etc so is worth far more than just the car interface.

There is guides around various forums about installing VIDA (e.g.: VolvoXC and swedespeed you'll have to search though). It is highly worth setting up a virtual machine to install VIDA on so you don't waste time chasing down incompatible SW. I would suggest using the free VMWare Player, and either finding a VMWare image of Windows XP Pro, or search for guides on installing Windows XP Pro using VMWare Player such as this article.

Note you cannot check if SW is latest or load new for free. You will require a subscription to do so (about $115 for 3 days, then you also pay for SW itself). Note that if your volvo dealer is part of the "volvo service for life", they provide free SW upgrades with routine maintenance such as oil changes. Call them to check for details. If they do that, you might as well get latest SW + also have them check over the car...

5. With VIDA/DICE you can enable shift adaption mode. Note you don't need to "reset" the adaptives (e.g.: drop them completely), you can just enable the adaption mode, which is less drastic as it doesn't relearn everything. Unless something has drastically changed (VB change etc) you shouldn't need to drop them.

6. As mentioned, there should be a sticker indicating the timing belt has been changed. If there isn't one, just assume it hasn't.
coflynn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 2002 S60 AWD

Postby JRL » 03 May 2012, 15:59

Agree with all except the adaptions.
Clean out ALL tranny adaptions, reset and do a drive cycle
2000 V70R Black, 121,000 miles (Wife's).
2006 XC70 White only 59,000 miles. New daily driver.
2000 V70R Silver, 36,200 miles!!! SOLD (I will regret this)!

Contact info for purchases: jrl1194 (at) aol (dot) com
JRL
Longtime Member
Longtime Member

Postby jimmy57 » 03 May 2012, 16:32

The aw55-50/51 transmissions uses some solenoids that are pulsed almost continuously and not just turned or off. The bores wear and the solenoids do not deliver the pressure the software predicts. There are no pressure sensors, just software that infers from some shift time adaptations that the control of solenoid pulsed signals, that the pressure is correct and the pressure can be predicted in other ranges and situations to also be correct.
The problem is the solenoid bores wear and the spool valve moving in that bore does not move as the pulsed signal should have it moving for the right pressure. This issue plagues other users of this gearbox and also gearboxes made by some other manufacturers that also use this type shift control.
The pressure control failure is why the neutral control can become destructive if it is not already deleted by software upgrade.
The 2-3 shift flare that also plagues this box is due to a check valve not always effectively keeping the servo cylinder for the Brake 4 servo full of fluid. When the fluid bleeds out the shift delays because it has to fill the servo with oil before the piston moves and applies the band (B4) to complete the 3rd engagement. Software cycles the solenoid when B4 is not needed to keep it full of fluid.
The trans can also have an end cover failure which allows a support bushing an then seal rings to wear out.
Some auto trans troubleshooters feel this is the result of the low pressure from solenoids starving that area of gearbox.
If the transmission has good reverse and mostly good forward with maybe only a couple of symptoms then a reman'd valve body with improved solenoids and bore repairs to valve body housing will take care of it and make it a reliable long lived unit.
The symptoms of the solenoids having issues is harsh downshifts as you coast down to a stop and a two stage forward gear engagement when you move from P to D.
A good check is also to drain fluid into a clean container and then strain it to see that there is no presence of metal flakes in that can be seen.
The adaptation drives with reset allow the TCM to relearn and improve the inferred pressure control from setting solenoid regulation to get shifts within target times. If it has the soft solenoid bores this is will only be a temporary fix.
I have replaced valve bodies with reman VB's that have the upgraded solenoids and did no adaptation reset and all was great.
3rd full set gear changes with light throttle had both of the cars shifting nicely, engaging drive quickly and correctly, and no felt downshifts. I'm not saying that reset and adaptive drive is not a great idea, just that changing the VB yourself is possible without needing the reset and test drives as part of a VB change.
I used reamman.com as the source for the VB's.
You don't mention any issues with the current gearbox. Does it have any symptoms listed?
jimmy57
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Model and Year: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Postby DGM » 03 May 2012, 18:59

Following is a video showing the inners of a linear solenoid.

http://youtube.ng/watch?v=gv8xH_jWSTk&feature=related

Professional rebuilders replace the bushings by quality ones. The bore in the original gets contaminated by metallic debris. This reduces pintle mouvement. Then solenoids get sticky and you know the rest.

:)
V70 2005 2.4i 162,000km
S70 1998 T5 355,000km, sold
960 1994 80,000km, sold
760 1990 Turbo 265,000km, sold
DGM
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: V70 2.4i 2005

Postby Emil » 04 May 2012, 15:41

Thank you very much for good info and advice.

Yes, to answer Jimmy57, I have some of the symptoms. It is somewhat erratic, and seems to be different cold than when warmed up. I would have to say the general rule is that it is worse once the transmission gets up to temp. I may not be very good at describing the symptoms, but I notice periodic engagement delays from P to D followed by a harsh engagement. Also reving up and shift delay between 2 and 3 (shift flare?). Need to drive more to get the feel if I have “harsh downshifts as [I] coast down to a stop.” How would the “two stage forward gear engagement” feel, so I can better identify this symptom?

So is there a reputable outfit out there you would recommend if I decided to send in the VB to have it rebuilt including solenoid upgrades? It is interesting to watch on YouTube, some are very professional, and some….. not so. Some change the armature bushings, some simply ream them out…. with a drill-bit. And how much could I expect to pay for this?

So now I have to decide if to make it my mission to fix this and get this car over the 200K mark, give it to one of the kids and let them drive it until it dies, or trade it in for something newer with fewer “issues.” I only have $3500 into it so far including sales tax and 1 year registration so some added cost wouldn’t be the end of the world. My concern would be if the tranny is just to foregone from poor maintenance that only a new one will take care of it.

Also, a timing belt sticker. Would this be under the top cover or somewhere else?

Thanks again to all of you. The beauty of these forums is that there are always people out there that know so much more about pretty much everything than oneself does, and I commend you all who are so willing to share. Wish I could repay somehow…. like home improvement advice, since that is somewhat my expertise… but that would be a different forum 

Thanks again,
Emil
Emil
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby jimmy57 » 04 May 2012, 16:46

The delay in to D is often a VB symptom. The two stage engagement would be an initial minor thump within 1 second of lever moving to D position followed a couple or more seconds with a more pronounced thump.
Reamman sends you a VB with a shipping label for your old VB to be returned in. They do not charge a car unless the VB is not returned.
The VB is sent with solenoids but they are wrapped up and not installed. You use the retainer and bolts from your exisiting VB to install the solenoids. Instructions are included for this.

The timing belt sticker should be installed so it would be visible without disassembly.

2-3 rev up is what is referred to as shift flare.

I see someone found the car was Taxi use initially. Does that car have heated rear seats? (seat heater switches on back end of center console)
A company called Boston Coach used Volvos in their fleets as Executive cars for a few years in late 90's and into early 2000's.
I never saw a BC car that didn't have the special fleet order rear heated seats. (rear heated seats are not fleet order now and were in the S80 and some XC90 Executive package vehicles)
You may be able to figure out the T belt question by looking at the belt for the brand marking. You take off the upper cover and turn engine until you can read the markings. OE belt would not have company name, only VOLVO and DO NOT CRIMP and part number. A replaced belt would have brand name unless it was a genuine Volvo spare part. The EPDM rubber used now doesn't crack too readily but at 10 years age I think the OE belt probably would have cracking.
jimmy57
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Model and Year: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Postby BKM98 S70 T5 » 05 May 2012, 02:11

Hi Emil,

If have not done so do a DYI Tranny flush. If the symptoms improve dramatically it is a great sign that the Tranny may still be in good overall shape. Drive it awhile before deciding on how much more or less money you want to spend on the car.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22557

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47877

Blessings,
BKM
-
BKM98 S70 T5
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Postby precopster » 05 May 2012, 09:38

Emil to give you an idea of how bad my wife's 2000 V70 (NA with early build AW-55-50SN) was upon purchase, a dealer sold it to me for $860 on eBay because the trans was terrible with 2-3 flares (where the revs increase markedly before going into the next gear then drop about 1 second later when 3rd gear finally engages) this was sometimes smooth and sometimes a huge thump.` The car had a great interior and only minor scrapes on bumper corners. No leaks and a recent timing belt too.

Exactly like yours the problems happened when gearbox was warmed up. After a new B4 servo cover and new fluid I hoped it would adapt quickly. After 1,500 miles there was no change. Then I did a hard driven mountain pass run of around 100 miles with lots of manual shifting and the flare disappeared. 3 months later it's still perfect.
Current cars: 1995 850, 2000 V70 non turbo, 2001 V70 XC project, 2002 XC70

What we used to own:1987 740 sedan, 2002 S60AWD, 1989 740 turbo wagon, 1985 760 V6, 1995 850 wagon, 1999 V70 project car.

In forum posts please call me Mike
precopster
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Model and Year: Lots

Postby Emil » 07 May 2012, 03:05

I think that will be my first phase, B4 servo cover and fluid change/flush (not sure yet if I will do a “flush” or simply drain and fill, couple of time). But the adaptation is what is still foggy to me. Is it in a continues adaptation mode or do you have to start the adaptation sequence? And can you do this without a computer hookup?

Thanks,
Emil
Emil
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby BKM98 S70 T5 » 07 May 2012, 03:13

Emil wrote:I think that will be my first phase, B4 servo cover and fluid change/flush (not sure yet if I will do a “flush” or simply drain and fill, couple of time). But the adaptation is what is still foggy to me. Is it in a continues adaptation mode or do you have to start the adaptation sequence? And can you do this without a computer hookup?

Thanks,
Emil

It would be best to start with the full Fluid replacement. If that changes it dramatically and maintains that state you know it is predominately a fluid issue. Then proceed to your next phase so you can by process of elimination know which was the major contributor to your Tranny issue. Don't do the B4 Servo with dirty fluid first.

Blessings,
BKM
-
BKM98 S70 T5
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Next

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo V70 & XC-70 (2001-2007), S60 (2001-2009)