IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

DIM Replacement With Used

DIY tutorials and owners' discussion on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

DIM Replacement With Used

Postby billr99 » 14 Dec 2010, 19:54

Over the weekend my DIM finally bit the dust after months of 1) inconsistent operation of the high beam indicator, 2) inability to consistently re-set the trip odos, 3) inability to consistently re-set the service message, and 4) the catastrophic failure of all the gages over this past weekend. I did tried resoldering what looked to be a couple of cold joints on the board but I did not try resoldering the CPU's pins which is beyond my available equipment. So after a bit of forum research and seeing the price of both new DIMs and the rebuilding of the original DIM, I decided to try used.

There appears to be no definitive information out there on compatibility of clusters across years, models, etc. despite the clusters having 5 identifying numbers (at least on my '02 XC). The first is the numeric interpretation of a bar code which appears to be an actual serial number of the unit. Then there is the "VCC" number which appears to identifying the locale/language characteristics of the cluster (i.e. kms/French). There is a "Spare" number which is the actual part number. There is a "S/No" which I am thinking relates to the base software load on the cluster and a "YZK" number which pertains to a particular chip on the mainboard of the cluster.

Many have said that at the minimum you need a cluster from the same year, perhaps the same model within that year. What I can verify is that exact model is not important but if you can find a cluster like I did where all four ID (but not the serial number obviously) numbers match the cluster will work. I can also verify that the mileage will display the higher of the two stored in the DIM and on the car's central ECU. You will not have to reset the time but you will lose your 24 hour format if you have that set. SRS light will be on and cannot be reset with any standard OBD2 reader or by leaving the battery disconnected. It is possible that you will lose your trip computer if it was not on in the donor car. I am going to see if this can be activated when I have my SRS light reset.

As a number of us are having cars that have reached or are reaching the 10 year mark thre appears to be more problems that look similar to what I was having and linked in some way to the DIM. We also all know what a rape job a new DIM is and the rebuilds aren't that cheap anymore either. So used will work with some caveats that look to be correctable as long as certain ID numbers match. What I would like to know is it required that all 4 match or can you get by with just the VCC and Spare numbers matching? Anyway, I hope some of you find this of value.

Cheers,

Bill
'02 V70XC (Ash Gray)-305K kms to-date
And a whole tonne of other Euro stuff (Volvo (7), VW (6), MB (1), Audi (3), BMW (2), SAAB (5), Land Rover (4), Porsche (2), Opel (1), MG (1), Mini (2), Sunbeam (1))
billr99
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 2002 V70XC

Re: DIM Replacement With Used

Postby Toronthab » 19 Jan 2011, 22:33

Hi
I nearly fainted when I heard a 'refurb' reinstalled was $700 on my 2001 v70. So I hit the net. Found a great treatment at Volvo forums recommending reflowing the solder around the Motorola chip. The unit comes out pretty easily apparently , and any guy who works on cell phones should be able to get the solder back to working form for a modest fee.

I don't have the link here, but will try to get back with it. Search DIM in the forums. A number of guys had good success , and there are pictures.
Toronthab

Model and Year: 2001 v70

Postby Regbc_53 » 16 Jul 2012, 19:21

My 2002 S80 had intermittent DIM problems so I followed the advice on another forum to take it to a cell phone repair person to re-flow the Motorola chip. Now my DIM problem appears to be permanent. I recently bought a used unit on Ebay and all but the VCC numbers matched. After installing it didn't even flicker. So Bill's question about matching all four number is intriguing. Strangely, both units display the "check engine" signal when starting, but nothing else.
I also read on another forum that error codes triggered by the faulty unit may need to be reset before a replacement will work. Can anyone verify?
Regbc_53

Model and Year: S80, 2002

Postby billr99 » 16 Jul 2012, 22:07

Keep in mind that with the number of bad DIMs out there, it is possible that the used DIM is also bad. I ran into such a case up here when a local garage asked if I could help get a used DIM working. In this case, all the numbers matched but the DIM would not come up. We attempted to clear the codes but the DIM kept coming up as bad. The car just happened to be the same year/model as mine so on a chance, we installed my old partially working DIM (which had matching numbers as well) and that came up. At least to the extent that it worked on mine. So I will hold with the idea that the 4 numbers must match but the used DIM also has to be a good one.

Cheers,

Bill
'02 V70XC (Ash Gray)-305K kms to-date
And a whole tonne of other Euro stuff (Volvo (7), VW (6), MB (1), Audi (3), BMW (2), SAAB (5), Land Rover (4), Porsche (2), Opel (1), MG (1), Mini (2), Sunbeam (1))
billr99
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: 2002 V70XC

Postby chrism » 16 Jul 2012, 23:12

"... I can also verify that the mileage will display the higher of the two stored in the DIM and on the car's central ECU...."

Not quite what I experienced. I replaced the cluster in my '03 V70 (150,000+ miles) with a wrecking yard unit. The donor car had about 55,000 miles on it. After installing it in my car, the odometer display read 55,000, which is what the donor car had on it.
chrism
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: S80 / 2005

Postby jimmy57 » 16 Jul 2012, 23:31

Something happened with a software change at some point.
I know for a fact that the first couple of years of P2 platform models that the mileage default to the higher of the two was the result. It should still be the result as that would comply with odometer tampering laws as applied to electronic only storage.

Some software, I have no idea which one, must had included something that changed this auto upwrite.
I have not had cars that I replaced clusters in to personally verifiy but I have been told that the mileage shown in parameter display for CEM will show the original mileage on the cars with replaced, lower milage DIM's.
This is a scary deal. If this is known by unscrupulous sellers then you could buy a car with many more miles than shown on the cluster if you do not have the means to check the CEM register.
jimmy57
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Model and Year: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Postby chrism » 17 Jul 2012, 19:01

My understanding is that even though, in the case of my car, the display assumed the lower mileage of the donor unit, that VIDA_DICE can detect what mileage the receiving car really does have on it. You're right though - that isn't much help to the unsuspecting sap that walks in off the street and buys a used car.
chrism
Forum Member
Forum Member

Model and Year: S80 / 2005

Postby jimmy57 » 17 Jul 2012, 20:12

VIDA and Autologic can show CEM mileage register. There is another aftermarket tool called Launch that might be able to. Launch has fewer capabilities according to the person I know who has it.
There could be other scan tools around that have the capability.
jimmy57
Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Model and Year: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo V70 & XC-70 (2001-2007), S60 (2001-2009)