99 S80 T6 'brake failure - stop safely asap' + more

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
petergibbons
Year and Model: S80 T6 1999

99 S80 T6 'brake failure - stop safely asap' + more

Postby petergibbons » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Greetings,

My wife called me today to inform me the 99 volvo S80 t6 we bought last week was flashing all types of messages and warning lights after a short ride on the highway from school.

I took a look and the problems I'm encountering are:
- all instrument panel items (except speedometer) are not working
- - warning lights are on
- - - BRAKE
- - - ABS
- - - Orange triangle light of skidding car

- the info panel reads "brake failure - stop safely asap" (i can't scroll through any more messages like normal)
- no power windows
- no turn signals
- cruise light stuck on
- sporadic cold air condition, other times just blows clamy air
- steering volume/cruise controls not working

It drives fine and the brakes work perfectly...

After some reading on here my newbie diagnosis would be ABS or electronic control unit. Is there a way I can diagnose further? Can anyone shed some more light on this issue or what I should do next?

Would a Volvo dealer charge me an arm and a leg just to get it on the rack and tell me whats going on if i'm not under warranty?

Thanks for your time, its much appreciated.

BerniniCaCO3
Year and Model: V70XC / 2001

Re: 99 S80 T6 'brake failure - stop safely asap' + more

Postby BerniniCaCO3 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:49 am

Actually, under vsfl ('volvo safety for life'), I think --let me know if I'm misinformed-- that ALL volvos of any age, regardless of whether you're the original owner, are covered for 1 free hour of diagnostics. This is something fairly new; it works well too because before they charged $100 to pull codes! But it works for them, too, because people who before would delay paying the $100, now get the codes read, and maybe end up paying for the work.

1999 is a watershed year; might be the older vadis, might be the newer vida-- someone else here ought to know.
Either way, stop by the dealer, 1 hour ought to be enough time, the codes they'll pull for free will give a much better sense of what's actually going on than most of us can tell you over a message board.
From the sheer number of things going on, a very uninformed guess on my part would be that some module, or maybe a wiring harness to a module, or a cem, etc., took a dump. If I had more experience, I'd have memorized what single point of failure might control all those systems, abs to power windows, but alas I don't know off hand :-)

Once you know what and where you're going for, the forum should be able to talk you through the probable R&R if it's not just a software reset. Some of these electronics can be very expensive, and I half wonder if junkyard parts would be ill advised?
Also, once you find out what you need to do, DO call around. I was looking for a camshaft solenoid for a friend's 1999 volvo, and got quotes from $120 to $320 depending on the dealer and their markup. I'm not kidding. Who cares if you get some module from california or maine? They can ship it, probably.

petergibbons
Year and Model: S80 T6 1999

Re: 99 S80 T6 'brake failure - stop safely asap' + more

Postby petergibbons » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Appreciate the reply.

Took the car up to a place that claims to work on volvos and had the codes reset, unfortunately they appeared again right away and they told me to take it to a Volvo dealership and said something about the ECU.

I've got an appointment at the volvo certified place next tuesday, looks like i'll be dropping a grand. yah!

Return to “Volvo S80 Forum”