IPDVolvo PartsVolvo Salvage: Used Volvo Parts and Over 50 Years ExperienceSouthern Vo Vo sells genuine used Volvo parts
Volvo Parts

Buying gifts? Please use this Amazon link ... and help keep MVS on the Web. Thank you!Amazon.com

MVS Login

Register - it's Free!

Get Help

Please read the Help Page. Then read the forum FAQ. If you've tried those and still have a question, please contact Matt.

Volvo Parts
Shopping Amazon.com? Help MVS by using this link!
tirerack-mvs-ad.png

S80 T6 trouble code P1633

Help and Advice on S80 Volvo cars.

S80 T6 trouble code P1633

Postby guest » 13 Nov 2005, 03:24

I just bougt a 2000 Volvo S80 with 125K miles for $6500. This car is in excellent condition other than the fact that it has the check engine ligt on, the Brake light on, the ABS light on, and the orange exclamation mark in a triangle. I work at a place that I had access to a Autoxray code checker. My car is coming up with a trouble code of P1633. Does anyone have any clue what this code is. I figure the ABS light could be the sensors, module, or may just need the brake fluid changed. It tells me in the info center something like " brake problem stop ASAP". This probably has nothing to do with the check engine light. I've read some scarry problems that this could be. Anyway, who knows what the P1633 trouble code is???? :?

P 1633 does not exist in cross with VADIS

Postby ChapStick » 13 Nov 2005, 03:40

Sorry, but VADIS doesn't list a OEM code with P1633 (it goes from 1632 to 1635). The 16xx codes usually deal with the CAN bus or an individual controller. Good luck.
ChapStick

Re: P 1633 does not exist in cross with VADIS

Postby guest » 13 Nov 2005, 18:53

ChapStick wrote:Sorry, but VADIS doesn't list a OEM code with P1633 (it goes from 1632 to 1635). The 16xx codes usually deal with the CAN bus or an individual controller. Good luck.
I'm a little new to Volvo's, what is " CAN bus" ???

Re: S80 T6 trouble code P1633

Postby gwhite » 14 Nov 2005, 18:21

guest wrote:I just bougt a 2000 Volvo S80 with 125K miles for $6500. This car is in excellent condition other than the fact that it has the check engine ligt on, the Brake light on, the ABS light on, and the orange exclamation mark in a triangle. I work at a place that I had access to a Autoxray code checker. My car is coming up with a trouble code of P1633. Does anyone have any clue what this code is. I figure the ABS light could be the sensors, module, or may just need the brake fluid changed. It tells me in the info center something like " brake problem stop ASAP". This probably has nothing to do with the check engine light. I've read some scarry problems that this could be. Anyway, who knows what the P1633 trouble code is???? :?

As stated above I have the same issues. Took it to the dealer and they said (along with many other folks in your sitation) that is the ABS unit. All the lights that you see are attributed to it because they all go thru it somehow. And when its bad so is evrything else.
gwhite

Re: S80 T6 trouble code P1633

Postby guest » 14 Nov 2005, 18:37

gwhite wrote:
guest wrote:I just bougt a 2000 Volvo S80 with 125K miles for $6500. This car is in excellent condition other than the fact that it has the check engine ligt on, the Brake light on, the ABS light on, and the orange exclamation mark in a triangle. I work at a place that I had access to a Autoxray code checker. My car is coming up with a trouble code of P1633. Does anyone have any clue what this code is. I figure the ABS light could be the sensors, module, or may just need the brake fluid changed. It tells me in the info center something like " brake problem stop ASAP". This probably has nothing to do with the check engine light. I've read some scarry problems that this could be. Anyway, who knows what the P1633 trouble code is???? :?

As stated above I have the same issues. Took it to the dealer and they said (along with many other folks in your sitation) that is the ABS unit. All the lights that you see are attributed to it because they all go thru it somehow. And when its bad so is evrything else.

Gwhite, Would the ABS unit make the check engine light come on as well??

ABS Controller

Postby Chapstick » 15 Nov 2005, 19:58

CAN=Controller Area Network; Imagine a LAN or a mini microprocessor scale. CAN bus is the pipeline for communication among the cars many (and S80, has quite a few) modules.

I didn't want to presume your solution without verification of the error codes, but given the history and your listed symptoms, you need to contact Vic Rocha for a "long-term" fix for your problem. The OEM parts (heat sinks and chips) weren't durable enough to handle the heat (turbos, especially) and pounding of the front end (can you say bad strut mounts/bushings).

Good luck.
Chapstick

Re: ABS Controller

Postby Mikey » 15 Nov 2005, 22:02

Chapstick wrote:CAN=Controller Area Network; Imagine a LAN or a mini microprocessor scale. CAN bus is the pipeline for communication among the cars many (and S80, has quite a few) modules.

I didn't want to presume your solution without verification of the error codes, but given the history and your listed symptoms, you need to contact Vic Rocha for a "long-term" fix for your problem. The OEM parts (heat sinks and chips) weren't durable enough to handle the heat (turbos, especially) and pounding of the front end (can you say bad strut mounts/bushings).

Good luck.
I just had the struts, bushings, and mounts all replaced. It drives great and the front end mechanic said the front end is all tight. But... there is still a knocking on the left drive side and it feels like something knocking on the driver floor board. He said it may be a lower motor mount or something, but he assured me it wasn't the front end. Since he doesn't mess with motor mounts, he really never looked at it for me. So know I will have the guy that's going to check my check engine, ABS lights etc. for $30 look at the mounts and get his opinion. Thanks for responding Chapstick!!!
Mikey
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mutiple fault warning,ABS controller problem

Postby Luc » 16 Nov 2005, 22:37

I do now what your problem is and its situated in the ABS controller,for the T6 a expensive one,but there is also good news i can repair it for so u dont have to by a new one.

best regards
postiaux.luc@skynet.be
Luc

Postby stevick » 20 Nov 2005, 20:10

I recently bought a 2000 S80 with 220K miles and similar problems -- many lights and codes/messages including brake failure, emissions, power steering, stability control, and ABS (paid $3650). Ran and looked great though. I took it to the dealer, who for $100 (VADIS hookup) told me that it had problems with network communications and ABS module -- would cost $$thousands to diagnose and fix. Got a second opinion from independent (only $37) who said engine was strong -- had OBD codes on P1633, P1605, P1608 and P1606. Cruise contol wasn't working and odometer was freezing. My research of the forums suggested that others with similar symptoms had a bad ABS module.

Long story short -- I sent off the ABS module to an E-bay seller ($75 + $20 shipping) for rebuild. Drove the car without it for the week it took to turn it around (lots of lights, etc., but drove just fine). Got it back, put it in, and EVERY PROBLEM WAS CURED. Later had it at the same dealer for coding of a key and remote (another gouging story) and had them check codes again -- NONE!!!
stevick

S80 trouble codes

Postby Mikey » 21 Nov 2005, 22:32

stevick wrote:I recently bought a 2000 S80 with 220K miles and similar problems -- many lights and codes/messages including brake failure, emissions, power steering, stability control, and ABS (paid $3650). Ran and looked great though. I took it to the dealer, who for $100 (VADIS hookup) told me that it had problems with network communications and ABS module -- would cost $$thousands to diagnose and fix. Got a second opinion from independent (only $37) who said engine was strong -- had OBD codes on P1633, P1605, P1608 and P1606. Cruise contol wasn't working and odometer was freezing. My research of the forums suggested that others with similar symptoms had a bad ABS module.

Long story short -- I sent off the ABS module to an E-bay seller ($75 + $20 shipping) for rebuild. Drove the car without it for the week it took to turn it around (lots of lights, etc., but drove just fine). Got it back, put it in, and EVERY PROBLEM WAS CURED. Later had it at the same dealer for coding of a key and remote (another gouging story) and had them check codes again -- NONE!!!
Thanks for your telling me your experience. I actually just bought me a T5 torx socket today so I could take the ABS module out this Thursday. Who did you send yours to?? I was planning on sending mine to Victor Rosha?
Mikey
Forum Member
Forum Member

Postby stevick » 23 Nov 2005, 03:06

I got my ABS module rebuilt by Auto & Truck Electronics of West Palm Beach, Florida. Their website is www.autoecu.com I do not see them with a current E-bay listing, but until quite recently they listed Volvo s80 ABS module rebuilds for $75.00. (They did mention suffering damage from the last Florida hurricane) Call them at 800-257-3395 and they will fax you an order form and shipping label (they pay your shipping to them). Return shipping is $20.00 UPS Ground. You can pay via PayPal. Turn around was about 7 days for me. They give a 5 year warranty on the rebuild.

I know there are others out there doing rebuilds. Rocha's site is impressive, and I have to admit his removal instructions were outstanding (I confess to using them). I feel a little guilty not giving him the business, but these folks were a good bit cheaper (generally, a high prority for me). They did a great job for me, so I can highly recommend them. By the way, I managed just fine with a 5/32 socket and avoided buying (and searching for) an E5 torx socket -- cheapskate that I am. Best of luck to you!
stevick

Postby stevick » 23 Nov 2005, 03:57

Just in case you're feeling adventuresome, you might want to look at this ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT
Looks like you could get it cheap (but since it's not from your car, it may need a dealer software download??). Just a thought...
stevick

Postby Guest » 23 Nov 2005, 16:18

stevick wrote:Just in case you're feeling adventuresome, you might want to look at this ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT
Looks like you could get it cheap (but since it's not from your car, it may need a dealer software download??). Just a thought...
Thanks for your help

Actually...

Postby Chapstick » 24 Nov 2005, 12:58

There is NO software download for the ABS controller, that's a line you'll get from a $tealer or someone looking to tap the billfold. It's strictly PNP. It runs it's own diagnostics from startup to rollaway (approx 8mph).

And I'd advise against buying a used "STOCK" controller. It will have the same inferior parts that EVERY s80 module has.
Chapstick

Next

Save thousands off MSRP on your new car.

Return to Volvo S80 Forum