car radio

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
sharmella@ yahoo.com

car radio

Postby sharmella@ yahoo.com » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:13 am

I recently purchased a 1998 volvo S70. Every time I put the radio on , the words "OFF" appears. What are the steps to enter the code into the radio in order for it to work? Please help.

sharmella

Tsquared
Year and Model: 11 C30

Postby Tsquared » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:02 am

In the owners maunel you should have a card with the radio code on it.

The radio will only display EEE or OFF when the wrong code has been entered and the radio is locked depending on model - this is due to the battery being disconnected and the incorrect radio code being entered 3 times. You will neet to reset the radio. To do this the radio has to be on for either 2 or 4 hours - see the manual for your model. If you got the code from a card from Volvo, and it didn't work, then the radio has been changed or it has been reset by the dealer and your current code is invalid. You will have to pull the radio and find the serial & model number, and get Volvo to look up the code for that radio or the dealer may be able to lookup the radio code via vin# from Volvo. The dealer can reset the radio and enter a new code. When the radio is "ready" to accept an unlock code the display will say "codE". You will need this code if your battery is ever disconnected.
'11 C30 T5

'96 854 - died an early death with 184K miles. Killed by the front end of an LTD on a suicide mission (T-boned and both cars totaled).

Dr. Seuss

Postby Dr. Seuss » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:04 pm

so what exactly does one do when entering the audio systems number?

does one hold any buttons? what type of power should be available ( should the key be in accessories position or car on)?

please inform. 8D

Eraser

Radio Code

Postby Eraser » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:40 pm

We own a 1998 Volvo V70 T5 Wagon. The Battery was disconnected for service and now with the code from the dealer we cannot get the radio out
of CODE mode. Dealers have informed me they cannot reset the radio and
recode it. Is this true or are they trying to get us to buy a new radio?

Rob

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
Flag: United States of America

Postby matthew1 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:15 pm

I've never heard of a radio being re-coded. This doesn't mean it can't happen :).

Call another dealer and ask for your radio's code.

This whole radio code thing is so much more trouble than it's ever been worth to Volvo owners... it's designed to keep theives away. But what theif would steal a (double height mind you) Volvo radio? The young punks want cool aftermarket radios like Alpine/Blaupunkt/Sony etc. I know, I was once one :? .
Please buy from MVS sponsors. It keeps this site on the web.
Like this spam-free, organized forum? Thank a moderator.
Thanks for choosing MVS!
How to help MVS.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace
2004 V70 R [gone]

Tsquared

Postby Tsquared » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:00 am

A Volvo radio can be re-coded. While my 850 was in warrenty the battery was disconnected during service and the code did not work. The dealer removed the head unit and plugged it into a computer where they re-programed the code. The radio serial number is required to pull the code from Volvo.

Find another dealer - one that is interested in helping you, not helping themselves to your $$.

The radio code should be in the dealers database provided by Volvo. When a radio is re-coded the dealer submitts an update to the database so that if it is needed in the future any other dealer with access to the database can pull the code with the serial number of the radio.
'11 C30 T5

'96 854 - died an early death with 184K miles. Killed by the front end of an LTD on a suicide mission (T-boned and both cars totaled).

asquared

Volvo Radio

Postby asquared » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:40 pm

To Tsquared,

My radio is showing the OFF message as well. You mention that it needs to be on for 2 to 4 hours before it may be reset. Does this mean that the radio needs to have power flowing to it or that the car needs to be on with the radio on at the same time for that period?

Tsquared

Answer

Postby Tsquared » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:41 pm

The radio needs to be on with the car on (I am not sure if will work in the ACC key position) for the 2 to 4 hour period. I have driven arround for a week the time that I put in the old code an had to reset it. The other option would be to visit the local Volvo delaership and get it rest.
'11 C30 T5

Liz

850 radio codes

Postby Liz » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:13 pm

My radio didn't work after getting a new battery. And I didn't have the code as I bought the car used.
Any Volvo dealership can get the code; they need your VIN number and the radio serial number. The radio itself pops out pretty easily and the serial number is right on top. Volvo of N. America won't release the code directly to the consumer; only to an authorized dealership. It's a four digit code.
I had the unfortunate experience of being told I had to buy a new radio "because there's no code for it". The dealership wanted me to spend $230.00 then and there. Fortunately, I ain't that dumb. :wink:
I drove to ANOTHER dealership who had the code in two minutes flat and at no charge.
Talk about music to your ears.
Keep that code in a safe place; I also ended up writing it on the radio itself. Nobody wants to steal this radio, believe me, and it is incredibly easy to just pop it out of the dash.
Beware of any dealer that gives you a BS line about no codes or recoding. They are trying to steal your $$$$.

MacD
Year and Model:
Volvo Radio Reset

Postby MacD » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:28 am

I purchased a replacement radio for my daughter's 850. I actually took the radio into the Volvo dealer and he looked up the code for me. Works like a champ

Return to “Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)”