How to Buy Tires from Tire Rack
So Easy a Caveman Could Do It
Buying from Tire Rack? — please use one of the ads on this site. I get a small kickback which helps me keep this web site running smoothly.
I made a Tire Rack promotions page a few weeks ago. Just click any of those ads, and when you buy tires, I get paid.
How Fast Is It?
This is a screenshot of my email inbox. (This was all in Nov. 2010.)
- Ordered on a Friday night
- Tires left the warehouse Monday
- Tires arrived Wednesday
- Standard shipping, not expedited
I ordered four Continental 235/45ZR -17 ExtremeContact DWS — just $123 each — late on a Friday night, November 19, because that’s how exciting I am on weekends. Then on Monday I got confirmation they shipped. Less than 48 hours later I got confirmation from service writer Brett Borders they arrived at Volvo Specialists, my local Volvo shop here in Denver.
You Don’t Have to Handle the Tires!
I’d been wanting to try Tire Rack before recommending them here. I’d been a TR affiliate for some time, used their site for research, but I’d never bought from them. After finally reading about how most buyers do it, and talking to Brett, it was plain to me: I don’t have to store the tires and transport them to a shop when they arrive. Whoa.
Many people have their tires delivered to their mechanic’s shop. Mechanics are happy to accept the deliveries. Even tire shops accept tires from Tire Rack.
As you can see a couple paragraphs above, I emailed Volvo Specialists’ Brett to make arrangements to have them put on. Previously he told me they have customers ship Tire Rack orders to them all the time, so I knew it was ok to ship them there. Most shops are happy to do this because they get the business of mounting and balancing the tires, just call yours to let them know tires are coming.
Choose Somewhere to Have Them Delivered
A couple days after the tires arrived, I took my V70 R to Volvo Specialists and had them balance and mount the tires, making sure they had room for me that day. If you don’t have a favorite shop to have them shipped to like I do, Tire Rack has suggestions of shops in your area that are “Tire Rack certified” installers. I think that just means they’ve been a frequent shipping destination, and nobody’s complained.
You either select one of their suggestions, or you fill in your choice like I did.
Tirerack.com itself is actually one of the best consumer sites out there, in my opinion.
- It’s thorough Some tires have over ten thousand reviews.
- It’s well laid out No clicking around trying to find your cart, or tire reviews, or their policies.
- It’s complete I didn’t have to call or email before or after my purchase. The purchase just worked.
Buying There Helps MVS Here
The whole thing was painless and quick, and for someone who is always on the lookout for saving five dollars here, twenty dollars there, the satisfaction was pretty high.
Note I didn’t get special service from Tire Rack, beyond the fact that by clicking on the Tire Rack ad here at MVS before putting those tires in my cart I got 6% of my purchase back. They didn’t know me from any other customer, and anyway if I’d said “I run MatthewsVolvoSite”, trying to get special treatment, I’m sure they would have emailed back “Matthews what?”
Remember to click a Tire Rack link or ad before you put tires in your cart. Thanks to you and everyone who uses the Tire Rack links on these pages — it keeps the lights on around here.
- Continental Tire Warranty PDF Here is the 11/2009 version of the Continental Tire tire...
- Tire Recommendation “I am looking at getting an all season tire, I...
- Performance Tire Test: Continental Wins Don’t ask me why they’re testing Summer tires in the...
- Tires for Smooth Ride – S60 2.4T The tire I was reading about before were the GoodYear...
- All Season Tire Recommendations Volvo recommends at least H rated tires on the turbo...
- S60 Tire Rub It is common. They ALL do it with this size...
- Roof Rack Installation Notes I just came inside from installing the Volvo load bars...
- 850 ’97 roof rack suggestions My ’97 850 has no factory racks or rain gutters....
- Goodyear TripleTred Tire Review The new Goodyear tires did very well in about 8-10...
- ’06 S60 Tire Replacement… Falken ZE-912? I had the Falken Ziex’s 512 on my other car...