Delta Link Tool
If you borrow this tool YOU MUST BE CAREFUL WITH IT. The threads strip if you give them enough force. This is a specialized tool built to Volvo’s spec, but it’s not unbreakable. It’s not military grade. IF YOU HAVE IT AND THINK YOU’RE GOING TO BREAK IT, STOP. AND POST IN THE FORUM for help.
There is an Alternative!
There is now another Delta Link tool option: “Big Blue”. Here is my post with instructions and photos of Big Blue. Our wizard-like MVS Forums Moderator JDS60R built the thing after envisioning a world without unnecessary OEM (Volvo part #: 9995497) failure.
Over the years this has a roughly 7% failure rate, and frankly it sucks on both my end and the borrower’s end when this happens. Thus the red text above.
Delta Link Loaner Cost
- $150 deposit – forfeit if it breaks or doesn’t get back to me. This is refunded 100% when I get it back.
- $15 shipping to you – not refunded. Please note you need to cover the cost of shipping it back to me, or for shipping on to the next loanee. I’ve settled on USPS flat rate box after trying a couple other USPS methods, and I believe it’s the $12.35 medium flat rate box.* I’ll update this when I remember to actually pay attention next time.
- $10 “entropy fee” – one day it will break, so this goes toward buying another in a year or two – not refunded.
- Total PayPal deposit required: $175.
AST 5408 Tool
The AST 5408 resets the Service light on Volvos via the OBD-II port. My 1997 Volvo 850 requires this tool, for instance, but most other models don’t. See if your Volvo allows you to reset the Service light without this tool. This tool is analogous to the Draper service light reset tool — it does the same thing.
AST 5408 Loaner Cost
- $60 deposit – forfeit if it breaks or doesn’t get back to me. This is refunded 100% when I get it back.
- $7 shipping to you – not refunded. Please note you need to cover the cost of shipping it back to me, or for shipping on to the next loanee.
- $5 “entropy fee” – one day it will break, so this goes toward buying another in a year or two – not refunded.
- Total PayPal deposit required: $72.
So How Do You Borrow Something?
I’ve been doing this for
almost a year over two years, and the Delta Link tool has been loaned 30+ times. Two times the borrower broke the tool, and he opted to replace it with a used tool that was more or less the same condition.
Some MVS members have contacted me and after much math, opted to buy and keep their own Delta Link tool. But for most it makes sense to borrow it, use it, and return it. I don’t care which you decide to do.
I don’t make money from this, it’s just a service to help Volvo owners. If you have an idea for another loaner tool, please contact me. I’d be happy to do this for other tools.
Ok Ok, Just Send Me the Tool
If you break the tool, you can choose to replace it with a new or used one of the same exact type, or forfeit your deposit. You agree to these terms when you agree to have the tool sent to you.
Ready? Contact me, Matt, and I’ll give you my PayPal account name, which is my email address. PayPal me the total depending on the tool, and send me your US address. Sorry, no international shipping. I will get it in the mail probably within 24 hours, always within 48 hours.
* I know this isn’t $15, so if you want I will refund you ($15-actual shipping cost). If not, the extra two dollars and change goes to the “entropy” bucket.