MVS Forums moderator Lee tells us how to replace outer tie rods on Volvo’s AWD/FWD cars.
- Loosen the jamb nut behind the outer tie rod end.
- Remove the nut that holds the bottom of the outer tie rod end to the steering knuckle.
- Remove the outer tie rod end from the steering knuckle. Volvo has a special press tool but you can leave the nut on the end of the tie rod end and give it a couple of whacks with a short 5 lb. sledge hammer. It will pop right out.
- Remove the outer tie rod end without letting the jamb nut move.
- Measure and record the distance from the end of the inner tie rod to the jamb nut. Remove the jamb nut.
Outer Tie Rod Replacement Tutorial – 850, S70, V70, XC70