The Prancing Moose Story
We Volvo owners don’t take ourselves as seriously as some other makes’ owners. Proof? How about the famous Prancing Moose stickers? If you’re not a car enthusiast you might not get it. Here’s a hint.
MVS Sponsor MySwedishParts sells them. I’ve seen a few on Volvos around town, and to the casual observer, I’m thinking the design leaves at least bewilderment in its wake. Honey, that looked like the Ferrari logo on that V70… but… something wasn’t quite right about it…
The stickers are the result of a combination of Volvo’s marketing department and Volvo RWD enthusiast Dave Barton. Paraphrasing Dave: in 2003, to show the accident-avoiding reflexes of the new XC90, Volvo built the “Moose Avoidance Test.” It was their bit of closed track where the XC90 stunt driver would avoid a dummy moose.
After seeing a Volvo-produced sticker on an XC90 show car — “a cartoon-like standing moose profile” — Dave got the idea to ape Ferrari by drawing the moose rearing up. Now he sells the stickers to Volvo — and recently other makes like Saab — owners all over the world. And the rest is history.
- The Story With Daytime Running Lights
- Buying an XC90: T6 or V8?
- Volvo XC90 Least Expensive Car to Insure in US
- XC90 5-cyl Transmission Fluid Flush Tutorial
- XC90 T6 Transmission Lawsuit
- XC90: Cheapest to Insure Followup
- Change Brake Pads, Rotors XC90
- Another 2001 Auto Transmission Sad Story
- Volvo Parts Deals Wrapup
- “Easter Eggs” on Volvo Circuit Boards!
- XC90 Buyer’s Guide: Tips
- XC90 Interior Flooding Solution