Fixing Up 99 S70 T5

An MVS member fixes up a 1998 Volvo S70 T5. Stage 0, new transmission, new struts, shocks and springs, you name it. Documented with photos too.

99 S70 T5

MVS member Auburn T5 goes bananas on fixing up a 1998 Volvo S70 T5. Stage 0, new transmission, new struts, shocks and springs, you name it. Documented with photos too.

Did a lot of stage zero work – inspected vacuum lines, changed oil filter, fuel filter, top motor mount, k&N panel filter, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs) and enjoyed trouble free driving for 60k miles. We replaced the stock worn out suspension with Bilstein touring shocks and struts as well as lowered it a little on B&G S2 sport springs. It gave the car a better stance and the ride was easily as comfortable as stock but much less body roll and less bouncy/floaty on bumps and stuff. Tighter overall but yet more comfortable at the same time. We also replaced the brake pads and slightly warped rotors with bits from IPD and Samco intercooler hoses.

We also replaced a rattling exhaust with the full OBX turboback exhaust.  This was back when the whole thing was $300 shipped. Great quality for the money.  I took the down pipe to our local performance exhaust shop and had them weld in an extra o2 sensor bung (temporarily antiseized & plugged) in the event that I would want to run wideband in the future.  I also cut the mid pipe and slipped on a high flow Catco converter held with a couple stainless steel band clamps.

Resurrecting the wifes 99 S70 T5

At 150k miles, the transmission took a dump with an error code revealing failed shift solenoids. Car would sluggishly move through the first 3 gears and then go into neutral instead of overdrive.

Consulted local transmission shop deemed worthy by my mechanic to work on european cars and they wanted $2200 to rebuild. I found a replacement on ebay with 90k miles for $500 shipped. Done. Mechanic made the swap for $400.

Resurrecting the wife’s 99 S70 T5

Leave a Reply