Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

Help, I've been collared! Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, including 850 R, 850 T-5R, 850 T-5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

CascadiaV70
Year and Model: 98 V70

Help, I've been collared!

Post by CascadiaV70 »

Hi folks,

I've done a resealing job on my bevel gear and in the process removed the collar. I am attempting to replace the collar along with installing fresh seals on the transmission side. Of course like many of you I had to totally destroy the old sleeve to remove it. It's removal required I drill holes, extracting it from the transmission output shaft via a makeshift puller (note exhibit photo "A"). That was a total PITA. To my dismay, much like having surgeons totally remove my healthy appendix, there was zero wear on the spline of the old sleeve (on either end). At this point with a new sleeve in hand that detail is a waste of time to ponder any further.

But here's my problem that I need you good peoples help with; the new sleeve refuses to seat completely on the output shaft. I have no doubt that the sleeve is the correct on. The sleeve has engaged the splines but I simply can't encourage it, cox it, beat it, cuss it onto the output shaft completely. It stops forward progress 1/3 of the way through. I have spline grease on both the spline and the inside of the sleeve. I had also, upon removal of old sleeve, attempted to remove residue of any of the industrial adhesive that the factory used when it was first installed. I did this by carefully using a small right angled pick with handle and pulled it along the splines to remove residue in the troughs of the spline teeth. I actually never saw any residue.

My fear is that there is a point of no return where I can't remove the good sleeve to figure out a better technique for its proper installation nor can I determine if there is still residue on the teeth. I've already had to carefully remove the stuck sleeve once with only the help of a small hammer. Another PITA fiasco done with full sailor mouth bravado. I hopefully can do that again. But I'm running out of options. I'm most definitely at the end of my knowledge/experience rope. I can't drill holes in this new $120 sleeve just to remove it. That is a ludicrous notion that makes my wallet shutter in my back pocket.

I hope you folks have traversed this treacherous landscape before and can tell me, "dude, there's this trail over here you just didn't know to look for, let me show you."

I want y'all to understand I'm completely stuck into this job with total dry love for Volvos having traded a small cabinet job for a 1998 V70 that is in need of serious TLC. I call it "dry love" because I've never owned nor driven a Volvo before diving into this rehab project. All I have is this involuntary twitch I get when I look at the lines of this P80 and mental lubrication that's transmitted via wifi from online Volvo communities. I've never even known anyone that's owned a Volvo. Imagine that?

Attached Exhibit A: photo of old sleeve being removed via "cobbled together" Frankensteined puller
Attachments
IMG_2858.JPG

BlackBart
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 BlackBetty

Post by BlackBart »

We're a quirky bunch, us Volvites. (Volvarians?) (Volvolopniks?)

Just a thought - that's not a tapered shaft and you're trying to push it on backwards? I've done that before (not there however - that may be a false clue).

Is there an index mark and the splines have to align in one place?

Did you get any metal grit on there from the drilling?

Heat the collar so it expands and slides on?
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon BlackBetty
Is it time for a 1964 122 wagon?

FlyingVolvo
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC

Post by FlyingVolvo »

Can you show a pic of how far the new collar is going in?
-Ed

1997 850 T5 - 255,000 miles
2000 V70XC - 311,000 miles
Hilton Tune, 16T Turbo, Mototec 3" downpipe, Blue injectors, IPD Short Ram Filter, Snabb Intake Piping & RIP kit, do88 Intercooler, TME Dual Exhaust, HID Projectors, R Panels, do88 Silicone Hoses

CascadiaV70
Year and Model: 98 V70

Post by CascadiaV70 »

Thanks for the replies guys! It's taken me a while to get back to you to report my findings. Yesterday I was able to return to the project and am a little embarrassed to say all I needed was a bigger sledge hammer, lol.

I looked closely at the splines before I went to town on it to assure I wouldn't somehow damage them. In my original attempt I had put a piece of wood between the hammer and the sleeve. I realized only later that the wood ended up taking the beating and it was a soft wood anyway. I really hadn't anticipated how tight the fit would be. And Yes, Blackbart I wish now I had read through all the forums completely because heating the sleeve would have made my job much easier.

Ecbsykes, I hadn't seen your response before my attempt or else I would have taken a photo. But I now have the bevel gear back on and am finishing the project. So far so good.

Thanks again guys!

BlackBart
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 BlackBetty

Post by BlackBart »

That's just what I would have done with the wood so I didn't ruin it. I've broken up a lot of blocks of wood though!
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon BlackBetty
Is it time for a 1964 122 wagon?