IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Ignition/Lock Cylinder Replacement Tutorial

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

somebody68
Year and Model: Volvo S70, 1997
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
somebody68

Re: Ignition/Lock Cylinder Replacement Tutorial

Post by somebody68 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:44 am

well at ebay.de i can find these for Euro 99,- , but thet are used cars over 200 TK= 125K miles it means that it can broken in few weeks or it can live forever. The new cost about Euro 300,- = $ 434,-.And today i spoke with a friend of my so he told me bout 1 nice car dump.well tomorrow i'll go there and will try to find same cylinder with a key.Then we will learn the Key to listen our chip .This is the way i think is the cheapest.I think it cost baout Euro 30,-.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion that you gave me for these :
- Insert Key and turn it to "II" and stop.
- Now use the small screw driver and turn the Ignition Switch to "III", the engine will run.
But my wife cannot handle with it.

Tomorrow i'll tell you what have i done.

I cannot find PN 8626325 this Part Number in our german data base.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:21 pm

UPDATE, I just did it and wrote it up here.

DIY: 1998 Volvo V70 Ignition Switch & Cylinder Lock Replacement WITHOUT the need to remove the Steering Wheel:

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

somebody68
Year and Model: Volvo S70, 1997
somebody68

Post by somebody68 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:20 am

Hello,

Yeah, no need to remove the steering wheel.My problem is the same as mom has writen already. A part of the guillotine is broken and as he said it can happen to brand new ignition switch. I mean this post
Absolutly the same part of the same placce was broked to me.
Btw if any of you have the same problem and need the car emergency have to take off the ignition switch and to disconnect the electric part from the switsch. As cn90 wrote :

Whenever you need to start the engine:
- Insert Key and turn it to "II" and stop.
- Now use the small screw driver and turn the Ignition Switch to "III", the engine will run.

So i am still driving like this, because didnt found a new switch yet.
Actually wanna say that this forum helps me alot, to do some things i never did before .

Thanks so much guys!
I'll continoue to visit the forum and read, also to give some advices.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 am

somebody68,

You basically have 3 options:

1. New ignition tumbler as I mentioned. It is about $210 at Waltrip Volvo in TN.

2. Used ignition tumbler on ebay etc. but you run the risk of buying used parts that fail soon.
These ignition tumblers last some 100K and that is it, and most 1997-98 junkyard parts have at least 90-100K miles on it.

3. Red-neck engineering.....If you have no budget, then I am thinking this "red-neck engineering":
- Remove the ignition tumbler assembly and looked at mom's pictures in previous thread.
- Remove the bottom cover plate.
- Somehow magically remove the guillotine and anything broken inside.
- Now the ignition tumbler is "free-wheeling", basically acting like a long screwdriver to turn the Ignition Switch (on the Left side of Steering Column) with the key inserted.
- The risk with this technique: the steering lock feature may not work but one may not care about this.

PS: For 1997 and 98, the key has no chip. As an experiment, I started the car without the key! All you need is the screwdriver in the Ignition Switch, the electrical portion of the Ignition System (key in my pocket!).

Here is a pic of what I referred to above. If you do this, take some pics and post a DIY, it may help those who are short of budget and just want to get the car going:
VolvoIgnSwitch.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

aaronm
Year and Model: S70 2000
aaronm

Post by aaronm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Okay, my s70 2000 has had this issue for about 6 months. Wiggling the key and lightly moving the wheel will allow me to turn the key after a while.

If I'm careful I find taking my hands off the wheel before taking the key out stops this issue from happening. Probably because it does not engage the wheel lock.

I spoke to my neighbor who's got a 2001 Volvo, guess what it happened to him. Fortunately his was still under warranty. He told me the dealer said he'd never seem that happen before ..... yeah right!

Basically I have no budget to pay for a repair. I might try the redneck option, but I honestly just want the car to start I'm not worried about it being stolen as it's in bad shape. Is there a simpler method to start the car? Like soldering the power and ground to a switch or are there smarts to this system? I just have a vision like in the movies of touching two wires together ... lol... I'm sure it's a little more complected than that though.

aaronm
Year and Model: S70 2000
aaronm

Post by aaronm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi,

Yes seems like it's a design problem (one of many on my Volvo). I'd keep your receipts and hope for a recall. We dumped $700 into a new throttle a few years back the problem was recalled later, I called Volvo who credited me the money back.

Not sure what would constitute a recall probably only safety issues.

I may attempt the redneck method this weekend, I don't live on a hill :P I'll let you know how it goes.

Whitebird
Year and Model: 1999 S70 Base manual
Whitebird

Re: Job done

Post by Whitebird » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:04 pm

mom wrote:I suggest to follow these instructions http://volvospeed.com/Repair/ignition_S80.html
For anyone else looking, this link no longer works, but you can still see the tutorial via the Wayback machine here: http://web.archive.org/web/20090329053659/http://volvospeed.com/Repair/ignition_S80.html

Whitebird
Year and Model: 1999 S70 Base manual
Whitebird

Post by Whitebird » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Also, this link over on VolvoSpeed has some good supplementary information. Apparently, on some models you don't actually need to take the wheel off in order to change the ignition lock: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/14 ... placement/