IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

'98 S-70. gasing up w/ engine running: fault code?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

ADK46R
Year and Model: S70, 1998
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
ADK46R

'98 S-70. gasing up w/ engine running: fault code?

Post by ADK46R » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:14 am

My S 70 , which I've only had for about a week, had the "check engine" light come on the other day. I had my local mechanic run a basic diagnostic on the OBD II. After reading the codes, he asked if I had either gassed up while the engine was running or had left the gas cap loose. I said I may have gassed up while the engine was running just the day before (it was below zero). He said that could have caused the code to crop up and trigger the "check engine" light. He reset the code and all seems well. But could that have been the problem? :?:

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America
JDS60R

Re: '98 S-70. gasing up w/ engine running: fault code?

Post by JDS60R » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 am

Yes, the evap system monitors pressure in the fuel tank and emission system by pumping or vacuuming air to determine even the slightest of gas fume leaks that may effect the environment.

Please do not gas up with the car running. The light will continue to to return if you do. It is also a safety hazard as gas fumes will be expelled from the tank or evap vac pump. In gaseous form it ignites quite well. When exploding it usually only throws the individual back 3 or 4 feet with resultant second degree burns to exposed skin. The real problem is when the flame front gets enough air cavitation to get into the tank and get the liquid gas to heat enough to turn to vapors and explode. Now thats an explosion. If you have ever seen a building blow up on tv with a orange fire shooing up with a black top to the fire you have seen a gas pot explosion. This usually takes less than 5 gallons. Your tank holds more.

Maybe I have been investigating auto losses for too long. The above is meant only for your infomation and safety.

I think Volvo switched to the vac pump and a charcoal canister at one year but I do not know which year. This is a much safer system but the hazard still exists.

Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

ADK46R
Year and Model: S70, 1998
ADK46R

Post by ADK46R » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:57 pm

JDS60R wrote:Yes, the evap system monitors pressure in the fuel tank and emission system by pumping or vacuuming air to determine even the slightest of gas fume leaks that may effect the environment.

Please do not gas up with the car running. The light will continue to to return if you do. It is also a safety hazard as gas fumes will be expelled from the tank or evap vac pump. In gaseous form it ignites quite well. When exploding it usually only throws the individual back 3 or 4 feet with resultant second degree burns to exposed skin. The real problem is when the flame front gets enough air cavitation to get into the tank and get the liquid gas to heat enough to turn to vapors and explode. Now thats an explosion. If you have ever seen a building blow up on tv with a orange fire shooing up with a black top to the fire you have seen a gas pot explosion. This usually takes less than 5 gallons. Your tank holds more.

Maybe I have been investigating auto losses for too long. The above is meant only for your infomation and safety.

I think Volvo switched to the vac pump and a charcoal canister at one year but I do not know which year. This is a much safer system but the hazard still exists.
Yikes :!: Had no idea that gassing w/ the engine running was so dangerous! :o Will be sure that engine is OFF when gassing up from now on. Thanks for the tip.

ecbsykes
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
United States of America
ecbsykes

Post by ecbsykes » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:03 pm

There's a reason "TURN OFF YOUR ENGINE" stickers all put all over pumps... :wink:

2000 V70XC - 283,000 miles
Hilton Tune, 16T Turbo, Mototec 3" downpipe, Blue injectors, IPD Short Ram Filter, Snabb Intake Piping & RIP kit, do88 Intercooler, TME Dual Exhaust, HID Projectors, R Panels, do88 Silicone Hoses

Volgrrr
Year and Model: '95 T5 wagon
Volgrrr

Post by Volgrrr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:55 pm

Yikes :!: Had no idea that gassing w/ the engine running was so dangerous! :o Will be sure that engine is OFF when gassing up from now on. Thanks for the tip.
Another absolute no no that can cause considerable consternation is using, on a dark night, a cigarette lighter to try and see how much fuel is in the tank. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There are only two types of car owners - those who own Volvos and those who wish they did.

polskamafia mjl
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R
Poland
polskamafia mjl

Post by polskamafia mjl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 am

Volgrrr wrote:
Another absolute no no that can cause considerable consternation is using, on a dark night, a cigarette lighter to try and see how much fuel is in the tank. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HAHAHAHAHA... :D

'All my money is gone and I have an old Volvo.' - Bamse's Turbo Underpants

Current: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Manual - Bringing it back from the brink of death
Previous: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT - Totaled