IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Flash code reader for OBDII socket . . . more

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

whoa
Year and Model: 850 Turbo Wagon 1996
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
whoa

Flash code reader for OBDII socket . . . more

Post by whoa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Ok, I have a led-and-button flash-code reader set to read flashes from pin 3 of the OBD-II connector under the coin tray of my 1996 850 Turbo. It reads ECU ignition/fuel codes (like O2 sensor, misfire, MAF, . . .), but I think not tranny codes and certainly not the whole range of codes you can get from an earlier 850 using the engine-bay diagnostic flash unit.

People have been suggesting that maybe other pins in the connector can be used like pin 3, to supply more of the missing codes.

Well I checked, and I am pretty sure that only pins 3 and 6 in my car are set up to give flash codes. Now, I don't really know how to tell what the codes on pin 6 mean. I do know that they are different from pin 3: tonight, pin 3 was 1-1-1 (all clear), and pin 6 gave me 1-5-2 and 4-1-4. I cleared those codes the same way you clear pin 3 codes---it behaves the same way.

I think they may be ECC (electronic climate control codes), based on this (which I found only after figuring out that pin 6 does something on mine):

http://www.volvoforumsrepairs.org.uk/80 ... iagart.htm

If so, my codes seem to mean "Fan Speed Sensor Control Signal Shorted to Ground" and "Driver’s Side Temp. Sensor Intake Fan Seized". I'll see if they come back.

Well, that's something, but not the wealth of new info I'd hoped for (and not the ability to get real mileage from the instrument panel). Maybe there's still some way to get it all from the engine compartment.
1996 850 Turbo Wagon

vxo
Year and Model: 1997 850 T5
vxo

Re: Flash code reader for OBDII socket . . . more

Post by vxo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Very interesting... I just got an 850 and have been trying to figure out what to use to read ECC codes too. I get the flashing A/C and REC lights indicating a code is active, and the driver's side is stuck at lukewarm. I found the A/C system a little low on refrigerant and added some earlier, which yielded frighteningly cold air on the passenger side, but still lukewarm on the driver's side. I'll check later to see if my ECC is indeed putting out blink codes on that pin, then check the a/c system again just to be safe.

Incidentally, the rumors are true... no high-side service port. What were they smoking over there in Sweden again? I always feel safer about being able to monitor the high-side while charging -- running into a problem such as a clogged thermal expansion valve/orfice tube could be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, yet very easily detected if you had a gauge on the high side! :?

Your findings are likely correct. The temp sensor fan errors appear to be common and dustbunny-induced... I'm not sure if my problem is a temp sensor/fan, duct temp sensor, or damper, but I'll try that pin and see what it says!

vxo
Year and Model: 1997 850 T5
vxo

Post by vxo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:46 pm

CONFIRMED! It worked to read the flash codes on pin 6. However, it seems to not be possible to execute test modes 2 or 4 -- instead, something different happens when trying to enter test mode 4, the LED blinks slowly and the system seems not to respond to any of the commands listed in the manual. Either the commands changed, or this all migrated over to OBD2.

Just for the record, I get codes 145 and 211. 211 appeared to be due to the icky nasty grease on the damper motor position sensor pot (an Alps Electric conductive plastic pot, no less -- well regarded as some of the best for use as audio faders without stepping up to truly exotic and expensive parts!). 145 is a bad air distribution switch status, which makes sense, as I've been unable to get the silly thing to come out of defrost! >.< Gonna see if I can try swapping ECC control units to clear that one up.

thecheat
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo Wagon
thecheat

Post by thecheat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:15 pm

What circuit are you using? I'm trying to get pin 7 to work to read my mileage out of the instrument clusternbut so far no go.

Credit2u
Year and Model: 1998 V70 XC AWD
Credit2u

Post by Credit2u » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:26 am

Took my 1998 V70 XC to a parts shop today and they let me borrow theirs (no charge). Nice deal if you ask me. It was a INNOVA 3120, nice unit. They had a couple other units somewhat reasonably priced there is a INNOVA 3030, which only gives back the diagnostic code, you have to look it up from there, but it is only $70. It clears codes too, that helped me quite a bit in at least ruling alot of things out, seeing what came back. I'm sure there are lot's of them out there, but this is what I saw in action today. Don't know if this is even slightly helpful.

Good luck!

thecheat
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo Wagon
thecheat

Post by thecheat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:08 am

I didn't realize it was a commercial scanner. I have vol-fcr but it only does climate control, transmission, and srs. Can't even read the motronic ecu.

takane2
Year and Model: 850, 1997
takane2

Post by takane2 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 pm

At some point I am going to try and reverse engineer the coding scheme so I can make a open source hardware/software set up. I think I will have to buy an ISO standard to do it(don't remember which off the top of my head).