IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Part 2: PNP Removal

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

LamboSE5
Year and Model: Empty
Has thanked: 0
LamboSE5

Re: Part 2: PNP Removal

Post by LamboSE5 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:08 am

Now that I got the PNP all cleaned and ready to put back in - what's that proper way to put it back in? I read about " Click the shift rod all the way to the right (Park?) and then two clicks to the left (which is Neutral??) -- and am I supposed to go in the car and put the shift knob in Neutral as well? I'm confused on this...

Also, here's a pic of the 'alignment' from your photos. What are you trying to line the center 'shaft' which is almost oval (colored orange) with - the very thin line that runs down the PNP cover? -- the center of the screw hole that my (red) line runs through?

LamboSE5
LamboSE5

Post by LamboSE5 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Well - good news.
I got it working today, the reverse lights & more importantly the trans. It seems to be in 1st and 2nd now, when in Drive. And the flashing lights are gone, both the up-arrow and the mode select lights are back to normal.
I feel great now.

Anyway - I used a combination of the mirror/backup lights method. I used a friend instead of the mirror.

An interesting point: I read another poster's comment that when rotating the PNP switch to the left and right to see where the reverse lights went on/off in both directions -- he didn't have a point of on and off in both directions, only in one direction. Same with me.
So, of the range of motion where the reverse lights were on I tightened it down in a spot that I thought was somewhere in the middle of that range--as well as using the clean circle area (no rust) where the right side 17mm bolt went originally as an indicator.
Let me say as a caveat though, this was after at least 3 or 4 slight adjustments and re-tightening, re-testing, failing..etc... Trial and error. But I got it.

Thanks to everyone.

P.S. If somebody needs help with understanding how the reverse lights/mirror method of MIJ's works with having to have the batter hooked up, I should be able to help explain now :D

johnk
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5
Been thanked: 0
johnk

Post by johnk » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:54 pm

I did the pnp switch repair today on my 98 V70 T5. Thank you very much for the excellent write up and instructons. I purchased a repair kit from Swedish Car Parts for $29.00. I had the flashing orange arrow, but otherwise no mechanical symptons. Replaced the copper contacts that came in the repair kit and now the flashing arrow is gone.

I did not remove the shift cable, it was easy to work around it. When i reinstalled the pnp switch assembly, I used the old bolt head marks on the switch housing to make sure I put it back in the same orientation. I also made a home made alignment tool, just two flat pieces of plastic with 1/4" of washers between the two plastic pieces to give me a 1/4" gap. Bolted the two pieces of plastic togehter and then I put the tool over the pnp shaft and used 1/4" gap between the plastic pieces to align the shaft with the groove on the outside of the pnp housing. Had the shifter in "n". Didn't really require any adjustment, all went back together nicely.

Biggest problem for me was removing the switch components out of the connector box, but a flashlight and studying the photos made it go smoothly once I figured it out. Everything else was fairly easy. Common hand tools were all that were required.

Repair of the switch itself was a fifteen minute job. Pulled the halves apart, hit the copper pieces with some electrical contact cleaner, stretched the springs a bit, and replaced the three copper u shaped pieces with the new ones from the kit.

An experienced mechanic could easily do this repair in under two hours.

John K.

polskamafia mjl
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R
Poland
polskamafia mjl

Post by polskamafia mjl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 am

Lambo, can you enlighten me please? I would really appreciate it. John, I'm glad the write up helped you out!

- Marcin

'All my money is gone and I have an old Volvo.' - Bamse's Turbo Underpants

Current: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Manual - Bringing it back from the brink of death
Previous: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT - Totaled

LamboSE5
LamboSE5

Post by LamboSE5 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:39 am

Polska - Absolutely! If you are referring to the method I used to get it "aligned" without a tool, using the reverse lights as an indicator, here is what I did essentially..

(Safety! Make sure you block/chock all wheels before you do any of this guys.)
Once I had removed, taken apart, cleaned and re-assembled the PNP switch, I put it back onto the rod/shaft. I then put in the 17mm bolt that goes on the right side of the PNP switch, but not even hand tight, just enough for it to be 'in' the threaded hole and allow me to rotate/turn the switch to the left and right. The rod/shaft acting as the "axis".

With the rod/shaft turned (with channel lock pliars) to the Reverse position, and the gear shift selector knob (in the car :)) in the Reverse position, I had a friend stand behind the car - ready to call out "off" or "on".
Then I used a jumper cables to connect my battery cables to my battery, the battery was sitting on the ground in front of the front bumper.
(Note: I'm sure I remember other posters and people who did write-ups say that "the reverse lights will turn on and off as you rotate it in BOTH directions. Mine did not. Mine only came on after turning 'x' amount to the left (counter-clockwise). At least one other poster shared this weirdness with me.)

So, with the battery hooked up to the car by jumper cables, the selector knob in Reverse, the rod/shaft in Reverse, and the ignition in position...I or II, (I honestly can't remember this, which ever allows the reverse lights to be on - sorry) I rotated the PNP clockwise as far as it could turn. My reverse lights went off before it reached the 'end' of its clockwise turn (signaled by my friend saying "off", hah). Then I very slowly rotated it back counterclockwise and waited for the reverse lights to turn on (signaled by my friend saying "on", he was given some beer - don't worry). Now, mark the point where the lights turn on as best as you can - against something that isn't rotating with the PNP, you know?
From that marked point, as I continued to slowly rotate the PNP counterclockwise (left) all the way, my reverse lights stayed on the whole range.
So I just chose a spot between where they turned on and the rest of the 'range' of movement left (counterclockwise) using the clean area/bolt marks - where there was no rust/dirt as a marker. Then tighten down the 17mm bolt, and the rest, shift arm etc...

Oh one huge point I should mention:
I think the moment I knew It was in the right place was when I had sat in the car to move the shift knob into 'R' or something, I noticed that the Mode Selector lights (economy and winter) and the Orange Up Arrow had stopped flashing. That had not happened the other 2 or three times I put everything back together only to still see them flashing. The key to this is that you HAVE to have the battery hooked up to see if these are flashing or not. When I notice they weren't I said "hey..." then asked my friend "are the reverse lights on?" He said "yup", and I thought - It must be in the right place then. . . And it was.
More beer...

If this is a lil convoluted, my apologies.
And in reference to my Note above; if your reverse lights turn both on AND of as you rotate the PNP clockwise and counterclockwise on the rod/shaft, then it should be 'easier' to align it. You can kinda just "pick the middle" of your two inside marks you make.
But I really do think hooking up the battery is a huge help.

polskamafia mjl
Poland
polskamafia mjl

Post by polskamafia mjl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks a lot Lambo! This will help many people out in the future!

LamboSE5
LamboSE5

Post by LamboSE5 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:19 am

Great - I'm glad to have contributed!

RegisWhite
Year and Model: 1993, 850 GLT
RegisWhite

Post by RegisWhite » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 am

Wow, I just found this link in a different post where I'd been kvetching about needing to remove/clean/replace/do-something-to the PNP, and this is exactly what I was needing! I don't know if I'm brave enough to try the whole thing today, but it's a great resource, and should make things a lot easier.

One question to whomever wants to take a shot at it--my 850 seems to be shifting just fine--it's not stuck in 3rd gear, in other words. Is there by chance a quick and easy way I could spray contact cleaner into the switch without all the dis-assembly, just to see if this makes the flashing arrow go off, and the reverse lights work? I'm not trying to take an easy way out; it's just that I don't want to cause more harm than good!

Hey, Polskamafia--do you still live in Hershey? I live in Uniontown, a couple of hours away from you; if you ever happen to be in the area, I'll spring for dinner and drinks if you came by to help me figure this thing out... :lol:

Many thanks...
These users thanked the author RegisWhite for the post:
swe280Z

cambiecbc
Year and Model: 850GLT
Been thanked: 0
cambiecbc

Post by cambiecbc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks for those great posts !
I got the same problems with PNP switch and got one new one and replaced. I made an alignment tool with two thin strips with washers to align to make it parallel. The shift rod was reposition to the original marked place. Everything works except I have to push the shift handle half way toward P to let the reverse light on. Even adjust the position of the two screws of shifter rod to different place still the same. I kept the shift rod as original spots and rotate the switch , it can only be reached at green line as shown in picture, no further rotation could be applied due to barrier of metal parts. The picture shows the yellow line location of the old switch position. I used jump cable and let someone stand at the rear to check the reverse lights.

Every positions work but I have to push a little towards P just slightly off R to let the reverse light on. Any advice ?
Another problem came out is the Malfunction indicator light turn on because I forgot to plug the cable to the air filter box.
The warning light still on even I plug back the cable and reconnect the battery.

polskamafia mjl
Poland
polskamafia mjl

Post by polskamafia mjl » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:29 pm

As far as pushing it towards park a bit to get the back up lights to turn on, it sounds like you just need to allign it again. I have a similar problem, on mine it won't start in neutral unless I push it forwards a bit to find the "sweet spot." What warning light are you talking about?

@ RegisWhite, my bad for taking so long. I've been at school for the past 4 months and I've been really busy with that so I apologize for not responding. As far as a quick and easy fix, with the car off, "row" the shifter back and forth like 20 times between park and L. This will essentially do the same thing as taking the PNP apart and cleaning the contacts does.