IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Maintenance tonight at 22:00 MST. You will be logged out. You may log back in immediately after. Apologies for the inconvenience!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

remote keyless entry re-programming.

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

angelglo
Year and Model:
Post by angelglo »

ok,

so i progammed my spare remote and it went fine. then i noticed that the other remote wasnt working so i program that one also. well, i go back to the spare one again and it again is not programmed. it was just programming one at a time with only one being programmed. i try to do both at the same time but it didnt seem to work. can anyone shed some light on how to program two at the same time?

thanks
angel
voltech1
Year and Model: 2000 V70R

remote keyless entry re-programming.

Post by voltech1 »

On the old two button remotes do the five key turns (doors closed) then push a button on each remote one after the other.
S/V 70 takes VGLA pin code through VST that requires a trip to the dealer which will cost you 1/2 hour to 1 hour labor.
All the other 99 and newer take software and can only be downloaded once so dont buy used remotes for these models. Software should only be $25 plus one hour labor dealers like to round up. One software will do three remotes. With the whole CD thing the CD stands for "Crap Discharge."
96 855 turbo 235k
00' v70r 156k w/blown motor
Bill S70 T5
Year and Model:
Post by Bill S70 T5 »

Yep had same issues problems with remotes too (98 S70 T5) Volvo invented this really complex system of using the VIN number to download a PIN number then programming the remote, it takes a while for all this to be done so costs a fortune in labor and is pretty hit an miss too, I got a real good local guy that only works on Volvos, he can do mine but will have to charge the same labor costs as a dealer, he quotes a minimum of 2 hours (dealer needs a whole day !!), mainly getting the program an PIN from the Volvo site then trying to get the cars computer to take it.

Hope this helps
jrpursell
Year and Model: 850 '95, XC70 '06

1994 850 GLT Wagon Remote

Post by jrpursell »

I ordered 2 remotes off eBay, one has the same FCC ID and the other doesn't. I still have the original, but it's in extremely rough shape. How do I program these "new" remotes? I've tried the turn the key 5 times to run, hold down lock (or unlock) for 5 seconds, then turning off. Nada for either. Please help.
1995 Volvo 850 GLT Wagon - stock for now, just trying to keep on keepin' on. Odometer stuck on 217k miles months ago.
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Post by MadeInJapan »

Key should be turned from off position to position II 5 times within 10 seconds on an 850 and then push any button. You should see the red light in the center of the dash light up or blink (or something). Car doors should all be closed...not locked. At least this is my understanding of the process. After you push a button on the first one, you have about 5 seconds to push a button on the second one and then a third remote. You have to "reprogram" all at the same time. If you don't then the original one (that worked before you started the programming sequence) won't work anymore. Actually, this is because you're programming the car to the remotes. You can do up to 3 remotes for our cars.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo
topodesk
Year and Model:
remote

Post by topodesk »

hello, I have a 99" v70 wagon, my remote will unlock/lock doors and tailgate but will not set the alarm, I have tried the 5 turns of the ignition key with no results. Any suggestions, I just purchased the car a month ago.
Thank you,
Bill hayden[/u][/b]
dkretzer
Year and Model:

Re: remote

Post by dkretzer »

topodesk wrote:hello, I have a 99" v70 wagon, my remote will unlock/lock doors and tailgate but will not set the alarm, I have tried the 5 turns of the ignition key with no results. Any suggestions, I just purchased the car a month ago.
Thank you,
Bill hayden[/u][/b]
I too just started having this problem with my 1999 V70 XC. Key and key fob will lock the car but not set the alarm. The signals do not flash when locking, and the dash top light does not blink. The alarm will sound and the lights will flash when using the panic button. Any ideas?
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Post by MadeInJapan »

topodesk,
The '99 and newer Volvo's are different as to how to set the key fobs...they have to be done at the dealer. But anyway, check your hood latch. That seemed to be the problem for dkretzer as he solved his own issue- documented in a thread just below this one.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo
s40autospeed
Year and Model:

Post by s40autospeed »

Hi everyone,

Just a note on the reprogramming of remotes on all Australian Volvo models from 1993-1998. The remote systems fitted to these vehicles is NOT a geniuine Volvo system! The remote locking systems were fitted locally in Australia by Anti-Theft Australia and should come "pre-programmed" from the dealer. I have had to code remotes to a number of the Anti-theft systems and the remotes supplied are nowhere near the correct frequency for the vehicle. Should you need to cade a remote to one of these systems, split the remote casing, and you should notice a blue circular device with a Phillips head slot in the top, simply use this to tune the remote.

There was another system also fitted to some early S70's which is a Mongoose system, however these are exceptionally rare.

Please note that this information is for AUSTRALIAN MODELS ONLY! I put this information here after an irrate customer abused me the other day after reading this section!

Good luck, and happy motoring!
1997 S40 2.0 Auto
pjay
Year and Model:

Re: remote

Post by pjay »

topodesk wrote:hello, I have a 99" v70 wagon, my remote will unlock/lock doors and tailgate but will not set the alarm, I have tried the 5 turns of the ignition key with no results. Any suggestions, I just purchased the car a month ago.
Thank you,
Bill hayden[/u][/b]
hi there, just a thought are you pressing the remote for long enough, my alarm won't work either unless it deadlocks, which means, after i press the lock, i wait a second then press again, when you hear it deadlock the alarm automatically comes on, at least it does on mine (95 - 850) hope this has helped you, regards - pete.