Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

remote keyless entry re-programming.

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

rlrhett
Year and Model: 2002 v70 XC

97 GLT can't reprogram

Post by rlrhett »

I too bought a replacement key remote. I have put a new battery in it, but have no way to know if it works.

In any cases, I fliped the ignition 5 times and the little light on the dash started flashing. Unfortunately, I pushed the lock button and nothing happened. Eventually the little light stops flashing but the car is not programmed.

I notice most eBay key fobs say they are for 93-96 volvos. Is there a difference with the 97 850? The fact that the light flashes when I turn the key five times seems promising, but is there something about the 97 that would make it not programable this way?

Should I try buying another key remote, or even trying to get a new sensor for the dash? Is there anyway other than going to a dealer to see if the remote is actually working?

Thanks,
artboy18
Year and Model:
960 /96 wagon remote fob reprograming works!!!

Post by artboy18 »

Based on advices founded at this forum I reprogram my remote fob /method of 5 on/off ignition turns/,and just want to let you know guys that it works !
So thank you!
My remote stoped working so I thought that becuase of batteries but it wasn't this . I called dealer they told me that 125 cad is fob and 50 cad programing.
Than I visited this web and found helpfull hints and I just simply tried to reprogram my unfunctional old fob and problem is solved...old fob start working !
Looks like the fobs could be simply dissprogram -confused by other interferences so based on this I would advice try to reprogram firs your old fob and than only if old not working try to buy a new one !
This was my case .
take care guys
Daniel
CSeton
Year and Model:
1994 850 won't reprogram

Post by CSeton »

Today I washed and dried my remote for my 1994 Volvo 850 sedan. It is now very clean, but doesn't work.

I just tried the procedure for reprogramming that I found online (I tried it with the one I washed and the other one which stopped working a few years back). When I got in the car, locked the doors, and turned the key to position II (accessories on) five times and then left it on, the doors would unlock about 25% of the time and do nothing the rest of the time. I read online that the little red alarm light on the dashboard is supposed to flash, but it never does on my car, even tho the red light flashes nicely if I lock my car with the key (which activates the alarm.)

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Charlie
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Post by MadeInJapan »

I think you might have fubarred your FOB. Just for kicks, check your battery voltage in it. You might be in for a new one. I went swimming with mine last summer by accident, but the rubber gasket in it kept water out and it worked fine...what a surprise and a relief. I was out of town with my son when I stupidly did this.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo
CSeton
Year and Model:
94 850 Fob programming

Post by CSeton »

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on the one that went thru the wash. But my question now is, will I be able to program the "new" used one I bought on eBay tonight for about $40? They SAY I can return that one if it doesn't work.

But, if the little red light doesn't come on, is my car going to be able to program this thing? I'm guessing that the doors spontaneously unlocking probably means that this 5 turns thing is working in some way, but not like they describe it on the forums.

Any idea of what's up?

thanks,
charlie
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator

Post by MadeInJapan »

On our old 850 I never got the flashing when programming the FOBs either. Just make sure all your doors are shut and windows up when you do this. Don't know why about the windows, but when I followed that everything worked as described. Another issue however could be your transmitter number. It does have to match your receiver (one number higher if I recall correctly) with the FCC number on the back. Does that one you bought match the one that you washed?
CSeton
Year and Model:
94 850 FCC #

Post by CSeton »

The FCC ID number matches. I have no idea about the receiver being one number lower...
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator

Post by MadeInJapan »

The one that got wet (and clean) from what you're telling me worked before, right? So, if the new FOB that you got has the same number it should work unless it's shot to begin with.
Last edited by MadeInJapan on Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
CSeton
Year and Model:
94 850 Fob programming

Post by CSeton »

Yup. So I think I'll be OK.

I think the most valuable info you gave me tonite is that on your '94 850, the red light didn't flash during reprogramming, but it reprogrammed the Fob anyway.

If this is true for me, I feel pretty confident that it'll work.

If not, theoretically i can return it and only lose 8 bucks shipping.

While i've got your attention, if all of this fall through, do you happen to know how to stop the alarm and lockout if I only have the key? So far the only way I've been able to get the car going again was to "reset" using the fob. But if i don't have a Fob, is there a way to do it with just the key?

Thanks for all of your time and help,
Charlie
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator

Post by MadeInJapan »

I believe locking and unlocking your driver door twice with a key will reset the alarm. Give it a try if it happens again.