IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

remote keyless entry re-programming.

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

CSeton
Year and Model:
94 850 Silence the alarm

Post by CSeton »

Wow - you ARE good - thanks!
Chi Lam
Year and Model:
Re: remote

Post by Chi Lam »

pjay wrote:
topodesk wrote:hello, I have a 99" v70 wagon, my remote will unlock/lock doors and tailgate but will not set the alarm, I have tried the 5 turns of the ignition key with no results. Any suggestions, I just purchased the car a month ago.
Thank you,
Bill hayden[/u][/b]
hi there, just a thought are you pressing the remote for long enough, my alarm won't work either unless it deadlocks, which means, after i press the lock, i wait a second then press again, when you hear it deadlock the alarm automatically comes on, at least it does on mine (95 - 850) hope this has helped you, regards - pete.

Hi

I just bought a 94, 850 GLT sedan IN AUSTRALIA which has done only 139000Km. The car is still in very good condition, especially the 2.5 litres 20V - still giving very strong performance. However, the remote control for the central locking was damaged. I found a replacement remote wrecker/damaged cars yard but it needs to be coded. I found out that 94 Volvo 850 in Australia came with aftermarket sustem.

So far I've tried all other methods found on the internet but could not help. I'm greatly appriciated if you can help me.

Thank you very much in advance.
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos

Post by Ozark Lee »

Assuming you have a standard remote system - as opposed to one of the Guard systems - the key on/key off method should program it.

The trick is to make sure that the remote keyfob matches the remote receiver. About the only way to tell for sure is to remove the glovebox and read the part number and the FCC identifier number from the receiver.

1994 was a transition year between the two part numbers so based on the year alone I can't give you a definitive answer.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Chi Lam
Year and Model:
Post by Chi Lam »

Hi Lee

I was told that my 94 850 (the Australian's version) came with an after market system which I've been trying to found out the manufacturer but so far did not have any luck. I'll try to remove the glove box to check out the receiver's No. Thank you very much.

By the way, what is the correct procedure to program a new romote?

Thank you very much

Chi Lam
snktaylor
Year and Model:
Remote programming

Post by snktaylor »

Look in the owners manual for direction on how to reprogram.
stuartehamilton
Year and Model: 850 1994

Re: remote keyless entry re-programming.

Post by stuartehamilton »

Just wanted to clear this up for all 850 models. It does work but some of the instructions are brief. Here is a step by step for programming up to 3 remotes.

1) Close all doors and gate
2) get in car
3) lock all car using the door button on the left of the driver doors (not a keyless)
4) place key in ignition

You have about 10 secs to do next 3 steps, work fast

5) turn on ignition so the lights on the dash come on (but do not start engine) and then turn off ignition
6) Repeat turn on and off 4 times total
7) Turn on a fifth time - LEAVE ON -

8) press and hold for a couple of seconds the lock button on the fob to program
9) press and hold for a couple of seconds the unlock button on the fob to program

10) Repeat (8) and (9) rapidly for up to 3 fobs.

11) turn igniton off

hey presto.
this methods fixes the One keyless entry stops working when I program another problem mentioned in this post.

fob = keyless entry remote in this post..

tips

replace battery in keyless before starting
yes you can bu a fob from EBAY for about $30 and it will work.
tuvix1701
Year and Model: 1993, 850

Post by tuvix1701 »

Hello, Im kinda new to the world of volvo, having just brought my 1993 850 se (pre facelift) Iv been trying to get myself a keyfob and relay so I can lock/unlock my car without key.

I brought myself this relay and fob from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... tsupported

Iv plugged it all in and Using the method above I cannot seem to get it working, Am I doing something Wrong, Or is my volvo just to old to have this working?
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos

Post by Ozark Lee »

There is another part that is vital, the receiver unit. You may or may not have one. On a left hand drive car it is located on the A pillar, next to the glove box, I would assume that the right hand drive version has it in the same place as a mirror image.

Here is what it looks like:
alarm_module.jpg
If you do have the receiver then you need to get the part number off of it and match it (actually it is one part number off but chances are yours is the 3 series rather than the 9 series) to the remote.

If you don't have it then you need to scour the breakers and find a receiver that matches your remote. They interchange as a system between the old series and the new series but you cannot mix and match the components.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
tuvix1701

Post by tuvix1701 »

Well Just looked today, All I can find is a 4 pin green plug, No Black box. I Think I'm going to Contact the seller as he must have had the receiver because he was breaking the whole car.

Thank you for the fast reply :D
tuvix1701

Post by tuvix1701 »

Thats wicked, Got the little box of tricks now everything works perfect, got another thing I would like to ask,

I've got 3 relays that all go in the central locking relay slot, One is brown, One is purple with "central locking" written on it, And the other is also purple with "central locking with BLL" They all seem to work but I was just wondering what "BLL" means.

I have also a forth relay that's red, With immobiliser written on, I found where this one goes, in place of the starter relay (brown and half the size)
when installing the red relay It don't seem to change anything, I can lock the car using the "lock" button wile sitting inside the car and still start it. I was assuming that this should be impossible with the immobiliser working.

Thanks So much for your help :)