IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

remote keyless entry re-programming.

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

dcarlson12
Year and Model: 1997 850 T5

Re: remote keyless entry re-programming.

Post by dcarlson12 »

Also found this link re programming the remotes:
https://www.customers.volvocars.com/own ... 01.htm#3:4

It also says remote should beep if the batteries are getting weak.
gdict
Year and Model:

Post by gdict »

I always hate to necropost, but maybe somone will see this. A friend just bought a 98 V70 with no remote and picked up a remote off ebay. Her closest dealer quoted $90 to program the car.

I was just wondering if anyone ever tried swapping the receiver unit from an older car, say a 94 or 95 into a 98 and use old remotes. I have tossed at least three of those units in the trash while dismantling cars. I never thought before now about trying to put one in a later car.

What do you think?
gdict
Year and Model:

Post by gdict »

Tagged for email notice
osman
Year and Model: 2002 c70 hardtop

Post by osman »

I would love this solution if possible.
Brick Life
2003 Saab 9-5 ARC V6 3.0 Turbo 120K SwagWagon
97 850R wagon mileage unknown
2000 C70 Turbo Convertible 110K
99 XC70 AWD LPT 115
98 BMW 328IS 130K M3 Wheels
94 Mercedes 420E 160K
Kiwi bluetooth/Torq Pro app VOL-FCR/VAG-COM USB cable
cim
Year and Model: 2003 V70

Post by cim »

I am the new owner of a 1994 850 Wagon, well... sort of, I bought the car with a bad engine and it sat in my garage for two years. I finally got around to changing the engine. It came with one keyless remote, and while it sat, I bought another one on eBay with the same numbers on the back. I have tried every procedure I can find to program the remotes... no luck. Couple of things...

My alarm light works when I lock the doors with the key on the passenger side. When I lock from the driver side, the passenger door does not lock... maybe a bad actuator?

Locking the doors... the tailgate locks as well, but the key, although it turns both directions will not unlock the tailgate, at the tailgate.

Every time I have tried to program the remotes I have never seen the alarm LED illuminate at all.

Also, I am not certain which remote was the original or that it worked when I bought the car.

Any advice for a new member?
2003 V70 Estate
2005 XC90 AWD
1994 850 Estate
1991 940SE Estate (RIP)
oakie
Year and Model: V40 2001

Post by oakie »

In response to angelglo's entries and question above I just want to verify that it worked fine for my also.
Have a 2001 V40 with only one of our two fobs was working. Looked around and wound up on this site as well as on http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry.htm
I followed the steps - noticed that no sound or clicks appeared during the programming but now both units work like clockwork.
swe280Z
Year and Model: 1994 855 NA mfg 9/93

Post by swe280Z »

Just bought a '94 850 wagon with 89K miles, one owner, dealer maintained with a clean CARFAX last month. Got a 2nd used fob off Amazon and successfully programed the original plus the "new" one one after the other with no problems on the 1st try. Thanks!
matt122s
Year and Model: '98 V70R

Post by matt122s »

Hi All,
I'm having problems with my '95 850 remote. I bought the car earlier this year and it came with only one remote. It worked fine for about 6 months and them would work intermittently, about 50% of the time. I put in a new battery and that didn't help. I picked up a used remote at the local junk yard and put in a new battery and tried to program it but couldn't.
I followed the steps...
sit in car
close all doors, make sure they are locked as well as trunk
put key in ignition and turn it to #2 position quickly 5 times
when the alarm light in the dash is steadily illuminated leave the key in the #2 position
press any button on the remote to join it to the car

this isn't working for me, I can't get the alarm light in the dash to be steadily illuminated
the only way I can get the alarm light in the dash to stay steadily illuminated is to put the key in the drivers door lock and lock the door. It stays on for about 2 seconds and then starts blinking to signify the alarm is on. I've tried pressing a button on my remotes at this time to join them to the car but it doesn't work.
Any thoughts? Is it possibly a bad remote module behind the glove box?

Thanks in advance for the help, I love this site.
board2727
Year and Model: 95 850

Post by board2727 »

matt122s wrote:=
sit in car
close all doors, make sure they are locked as well as trunk
put key in ignition and turn it to #2 position quickly 5 times
when the alarm light in the dash is steadily illuminated leave the key in the #2 position
press any button on the remote to join it to the car

this isn't working for me, I can't get the alarm light in the dash to be steadily illuminated
the only way I can get the alarm light in the dash to stay steadily illuminated is to put the key in the drivers door lock and lock the door. It stays on for about 2 seconds and then starts blinking to signify the alarm is on. I've tried pressing a button on my remotes at this time to join them to the car but it doesn't work.
Any thoughts? Is it possibly a bad remote module behind the glove box?

Thanks in advance for the help, I love this site.
Hey Matt,

I'm just wondering if you were ever able to figure out what was going on. I am having the same issues. I can't get the little light to illuminate unless I lock the car. Thanks in advance!
matt122s
Year and Model: '98 V70R

Post by matt122s »

Hi,
I did get it to work on my 1995 850. The way it worked on my car was to make sure all doors and the hood/ trunk are closed. Put the key in the drivers door lock. Lock and unlock the door several times, maybe five times, but leave the door locked the final time. This was the only way to get my alarm light on the top of my dash to stay on steadily. Once it is on steadily you push one of the buttons on the remote and it will get programmed to your car. Hope that helps, let me know how it works out.
Thanks, Matt