Server upgrade complete. (New hardware.) Please help if you have time by posting in the Maintenance is Complete thread about things that are broken. Thanks for your help!
IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

MVS posting standards: Correct English, no text talk please

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
lolafiona73
Year and Model: 850 1995, S70 1997

Re: MVS posting standards: Correct English, no text talk ple

Post by lolafiona73 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:13 am

I apologize for my lack of capitals in a prior post. :oops: I have had to use a cell until recently. I not only have "fat finger syndrome" but also RA.
Now that I have my laptop up and running again, I hope I can remember to use "Correct English" proper grammar, and remember my OCD about misspelled words (mine)

xc90-2 5L 5cy t
Year and Model: xc90-2006

Post by xc90-2 5L 5cy t » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:01 am

Will do, sir. I find this forum very helpful. I only wish I were better at computer usage as I am failing in locating the method to submit questions.

VVfsfs
Year and Model: Volvo 850,1992

Post by VVfsfs » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:11 am

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way
http://www.casesam.co.uk
http://www.ourcase.co.uk

VegasWrench
Year and Model: S70 1999

Post by VegasWrench » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Hello everyone, first post by a new member and I just wanted to chime in with my appreciation of how easy it is to understand what is being said on here and I believe the main reason is the attitude expressed in this thread.
On that note I will retire for the night and compose the thread i need to start about my friends S70. :wink:

JudgeRat
Year and Model: S60 2004
Wales

Re: MVS posting standards: Correct English, no text talk please

Post by JudgeRat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:23 am

Although very new to the forum, I can say that I have been very impressed with the kindness and professional manner in which I have been welcomed and how my posts have been treated. As a Languages major in a previous life, I can definitely appreciate the desire to have these dialogs adhere to at least a minimal standard of correct spelling and grammar for clarity's sake. I can also understand and applaud the efforts to keep the discourse decorous in order to facilitate a congenial exchange of useful information. Most importantly, however, I believe it behooves us all to remember that this is a technical forum that exists for the primary function of allowing persons, of all backgrounds and levels of mechanical abilities, to come ask for assistance in resolving an issue which they are experiencing with their vehicle that may be their primary life-line to being able to keep their families well cared for and fed. The major thing that we all have in common here is that we happen to, love it or hate it (for many it is probably both), own a Volvo. By design, Volvos are complex and distinctive mechanical assemblages that are not easily understood in their entirety by any one individual and, therefore, require a community to bring to bear the vast body of knowledge necessary to solve each other's dilemmas. And there, then, is the crux of the matter: this is a community and, as such, there are individuals with varied levels of expertise, different approaches to problem solving, and divergent social graces and communication styles in the mix of the multitudes.

Let me put it a little more succinctly, shall I?

Be brief, be clear, be precise, be helpful, and be nice. :wink:

Seriously, is that too much to ask? I think that is all Matt is really asking of us.

*English is my second language by the way--my first is Gymru(=Welsh)
"Molly" - Black 2004 2.4L i5 (non-turbo) T5 Auto FWD P2 Volvo S60 w/all options

Old-school race guy: "Brakes 1st, then steering, tires, wheels, & suspension, only then engine and drive-train. No sense making it go if you can't stop & steer properly...Safety first people!"

JudgeRat
Year and Model: S60 2004
Wales

Re: Use proper English, please

Post by JudgeRat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:25 am

kranz wrote:Those who find value in being able to communicate precisely and accurately in our digital age may find this amusing:

Taco Bell's Canon
I laughed so hard when I read this that I had so many tears in my eyes that I could barely finish it! :lol:
"Molly" - Black 2004 2.4L i5 (non-turbo) T5 Auto FWD P2 Volvo S60 w/all options

Old-school race guy: "Brakes 1st, then steering, tires, wheels, & suspension, only then engine and drive-train. No sense making it go if you can't stop & steer properly...Safety first people!"

goldmandan
Year and Model: 1999 S 70, 2000 V70
Sweden

Post by goldmandan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 pm

The older unit has the good software but the unit is defective we need to upload the new software to the new xemodex unit

lifeofgold
Year and Model: 1994 940 (Regina)
United States of America

Post by lifeofgold » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:42 pm

We (hopefully) can tell the difference between an English learner with rudimentary English language skills, and a person who chooses to be lazy. If said person employs the proper effort in explaining their problem then we will employ the proper effort in providing assistance. The idiom "You reap what you sow" comes to mind.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:31 am

It really isn't difficult to tell these two apart. Lack of punctuation, text talk (and "sorry, Im on a cell phone" is not a valid excuse), and teen talk just doesn't belong here. It is one of the reasons MVS is such a different car forum - it's for grownups.

I try to use good acronym behavior such as 'define at first use' is something isn't used or for someone new.

exemplia Gratia

"Your Electronic Climate Control (ECC) unit ist kaput"
"Its not your ECU, ECM, nor your computer"

1999 V70 T5 M56
2003 Beetle Conv M5
2002 Eurovan
2005 V70 NA M5
2006 BMW X3 E83
Air cooled VW WIP

A houseful of young ladies seats 7
Shepard Husky, Lab
Grey, ginger,black cats

Lots of boats

jvl
Year and Model: 1999 V70 XC
Netherlands

Post by jvl » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:26 am

Good point you've raised here Matthew. Doesn't seem right for Volvo-fans to start offending one another or using terrible spelling. Will keep this in mind for future posts. Do you suggest to also make others aware (in a polite manner) or would you prefer to mod your self?

Joost

Return to “Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)”