New to DIY'ing? Start here. These are wonderful overview videos for the novice DIY'er. The video's host goes over where parts are in the engine bay, what they do, and why they're important.
1993 850 Debut, and differences between it and the 1994 850
Summary of characteristics for the 1994 850... assume things are unchanged from the 1993 850, except for these changes...
Differences between 1994 and 1995 850
Summary of characteristics for the 1995 850... assume things are unchanged from the 1994 850, except for these changes...
Parts: what failed on your 1992-2000 FWD or AWD Volvo?
The BASTARDS - the special transition years of 1999 and 2000 and what makes them tick...
No Start Troubleshooting for 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC
Intent here is to give a quick referral to no-start posters on how to get going again.
How to Eliminate Vacuum Leaks as a cause of your symptom
How rare is your 850, S70, V70 or XC-70?
PCV System Repair on a 1993-1998 Volvo 5-cylinder and PCV System Repair on a 1999+ Volvo 5-cylinder
You've got to do this every 5 years or so, might as well do it right. Here's two outstanding tutorials documented with great photographs.
URO parts topic
850 140k Major Maintenance & Timing Belt DIY
What to do when your 850 hits 140k miles + an outstanding 850 timing belt replacement tutorial. Timing belt tutorials and advice:
- 850 Turbo Timing Belt Replacement
- Instructions w/pics when Changing Timing belt/waterpump/tensioner
- Hydraulic or Mechanical Timing Belt Tensioner?
- 1999 N/A Timing Belt Replacement Part I
- 1999 N/A Timing Belt Replacement Part II
- 1998 S70 & V70 Turbo Timing Belt Replacement
- DIY: Timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, and flame trap
- Broken Timing Belts are No Big Deal
- Timing Belt Reference Photos, Labeled
Up to model year 1995, and some 1996 models, you read codes via a small box under the hood.
How to Read Volvo Diagnostic Codes, OBD-II
1996 and up Volvos have an OBD-II port. You need to read the codes with a code scanner.
Volvo V70 and S70 Repairs, Tutorials, Upgrades and Information
Browse information, upgrades, repairs and more in the Volvo Repair Database. Includes information that may be helpful to owners of similar FWD Generation 1 Volvo models like XC70, C70.
The Encyclopedia of 850 Repairs
Almost every major repair a pair of hands can do to an 850. A guy named Jim writes this, and he's a member here too. We're proud to have him!
Idle/Power Problems? Troubleshoot Here
Volvo 850 Repairs, Tutorials, Upgrades and Information
Browse 850 information, upgrades, repairs and more in the Volvo Repair Database. Includes information that may be helpful to owners of similar FWD Generation 1 Volvo models like V70, S70, XC70, C70.
Volvo Terms and Abbreviations
MAF, SAS, FWD... what does it all mean? Make sense of the letter soup with this Volvo term glossary.
Always harvest these parts at the pick-n-pull
"Here are the things that he listed as to never leave, as they will be needed someday by someone (or you!) and should be saved from being eventually crushed. Add away with parts that are becoming scarce, will eventually break or are just good to have on hand."
POLL: Various Polls
Vote on your experiences with Volvo 850, S70, V70, XC70...
- What's your best CITY driving mileage?
- Car stereo theives deserve hanging
- Is a C70 with 87K a good, reliable buy? $10,000
- Where do you get the best service?
- What's the highest average mph you've recorded?
- Are you satisfied with your engine choice?
- Is it common for Volvo transmissions to need replacing before 100k miles?
- I realize it is blue book $7000, but come on should we be trading it in just cause it needs to be taken care of?
- What Volvo would you buy?
- Buy or don't
- Is the dealer responsible for sludge when you've done everything they ask, by the book?
- 1997 850 T-5's are very good, reliable cars
- Would you fix this car or trade it in?
- Would you buy this car all things considered?
- Which plug for turbo?
- Should I buy an 94 850 Turbo with 157K? Looks Great!
- Had a problem with your 850 or 70's turbo?
- What brand Front Struts and Rear Shocks are you running?
- New car or fix mine?
- In addition to the front shocks, what needs replacing?
- Automatics rpms at 65 miles/110 km per hour
- Which issue caused your volvo 850 to stall?
- Boge, Bilstein or Koni?
- What's your best fuel economy MPG?
- Is my car fixable? S70 T5
- Power Steering Fluid... Have you ever Changed it?
- Would you buy a $20.00 Cam Position Sensor for your 850, V70, etc.?
- Which OE amp is best for an 850 sedan?
- Wood Trim or No Wood
- Replace motor mount when replacing steering rack?
- Which one to keep?
- Gasoline / Oil additives?
- Humor: good spot for horn relocation?
- What's *failed* in your 850, S70, V70, XC70, C70 (1992-2000) OLD POLL
- What did improve the fuel economy for you?
- Do you think this would be a worth while service?
- I have a nice 1999 V70 T5M. Would you keep it or sell it? I can't keep both.
- What do you guys think about the videos I have uploaded? Quality and content.
- If you drive an 850 what demographic do you fit into?
- What has failed on your 1992-2000 FWD or AWD Volvo? NEW POLL
- When did your odometer fail?
- On average how often would you need to get the wheel allignment done?