IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Changing the Oil in my V70

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

J_Guynn
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
J_Guynn

Post by J_Guynn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:50 am

One thing to keep in mind...

Once you figure out how easy it is to change oil, you may want to learn how to do other maintenance work yourself. This means more tools will be needed. Sooner or later you'll need a tool box to keep everything together.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I just hope you have enough space. :)

Good luck and take it step by step. My 98 V70 is the messiest oil change I've ever done and it's still not hard...just messy. In the end you'll be glad you did it yourself.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:56 am

I agree that the '98 is messy....actually, when I first did my wife's '04 V70, I was surprised at how much simpler and less messy it was compared to my '98....and Jen's '01 will be no different! [/quote]

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:59 am

Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or national or local auto parts store should carry the oil filter by now unless it is some unique/special/one-of-a-kind. Call 'em and confirm.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:22 pm

Not sure if they carry an "insert" type filter that goes in the Volvo filter housing or not (Volvo came up with this "environmentally friendly" filter design)...even if they did, I would avoid them and buy a Volvo, Mahl or Mann (who makes these filters for Volvo). I feel this way about the filter for my S70 too which still takes the cannister type. If someone finds a FRAM filter that works, especially avoid these....don't even get me started on them....they are really really horrible.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:09 am

MadeInJapan wrote:Not sure if they carry an "insert" type filter that goes in the Volvo filter housing or not (Volvo came up with this "environmentally friendly" filter design)...even if they did, I would avoid them and buy a Volvo, Mahl or Mann (who makes these filters for Volvo). I feel this way about the filter for my S70 too which still takes the cannister type. If someone finds a FRAM filter that works, especially avoid these....don't even get me started on them....they are really really horrible.
OK. Thanks for the clarification. I posted above with a '94 Volvo 850 experience in mind. They are normal replace-the-whole-thing type like all older cars. Still, a call around will never hurt to confirm if someone sells the inserts for this "EF" type filter. "Let your fingers do the walking" (remembers the old yellow pages phone book ad from years ago). $3 bucks for old-fashioned type at PB's.

robert213
Year and Model:
robert213

Re: You all are great!!!!

Post by robert213 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Jen wrote: I'd probably feel more comfortable using the ramps.

Test fit the ramps to make sure that the will fit under your front air dam. Once, a friend borrowed my ramps. Everything went fine until he drove his car off of my ramps. He backed down too quickly and cracked his front air dam. After that, I bought a hydraulic floor jack and jack stands.

If you have never driven up a pair of ramps before, I still believe that you would be more comfortable with jack and stands.

Browse thru owner's manual and you will see the many "lift pad" points where you can place jack and stands. I prefer the engine sub-frame.

coedwards
Year and Model: 1998 V70XC
coedwards

I'd like instructions on changing oil on 1998 V70 XC

Post by coedwards » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:14 pm

There are great instructions posted on this site for oil change of 2001+ V70 XC. I'd like to know exactly how those instructions are different from what I'll need to change the oil on my 1998 V70 XC. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:09 pm

Depending on the model year there is a plastic engine gaurd you have to remove. No big deal but really, everything else is the same from what I can see, except the type of filter. Make sure if you use the "EF" type of insert in the plastic filter housing, you put it in the housing, fill it up with oil and get the O-ring on the filter housing correctly before tightening it onto the car. Don't shove the insert up into the car...there is a circular ridge in the bottom of the filter housing it fits in first. I edited my original instructions and added this bit of information. Guess that's about it.

I don't think it was posted in my instructions above, but I read elsewhere to fill the oil filter up with oil before screwing it on. The first time you turn the ignition, oil is pumped up from the filter. No oil there and you get a dry crank for the first few seconds if it isn't filled with oil, so it's important.

coedwards
Year and Model: 1998 V70XC
coedwards

Post by coedwards » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:19 am

Thanks so much for the advice... it seems like an easy procedure for a non-mechanic like me.

tastyorange
Year and Model:
tastyorange

2000 Volvo V70 NON-Turbo oil change

Post by tastyorange » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:31 pm

This will be my first do it yourself oil change with my new used 2000 Volvo V70 non-turbo.
The last time I did an oil change was on my bloodsucking Lebaron convertible in 2004 before I finally bought a new Subaru Outback.
Anyway I have the Fram insert filter (someone said not to use it?) and oil. I have to buy new ramps because my old ramps are too steep.
I have to buy a new filter wrench because mine is too small. And I need a drain plug gasket.
Can someone tell me which filter wrench size to get? I am assuming I should get the type that looks like a big jar opener... but which size?
I also need to know what size gasket or washer to get because the counter guy at Pep Boys could not find any info. I guess I could always call a Volvo dealer and pick the service guy's brain.

Thanks!