Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

2000 V70R - IPD/Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bushes

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, including 850 R, 850 T-5R, 850 T-5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

scot850  
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R

2000 V70R - IPD/Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bushes

Post by scot850 »

Some time ago I recall someone here telling me that IPD bushes for their anti-sway bar bushes were fine, and that using Energy Suspension bushes with a grease nipple was pointless as the nipple could not be accessed after installation.

As I am killing time waiting for delayed parts to complete the rear end re-build, I decided to finally get around to swapping out the IPD anti-sway bar bushes on the front bar.

I will not say for sure that these are the cause of the graunching/groaning I get from the front suspension, but after reading elsewhere that the fix was to use Energy suspension 1" greasable bushes I decided to give them a shot. Having already re-grease the 'New' IPD bushes multiple times (requires removing them and they suggest to do this every 6 months) I never got more than 200km before the noise returned.

Well, I have now replaced them with Energy Suspension items, but will have to wait to see it there is an improvement.

What I did find was that like the back bar, the bushes are fitted over powder coating, which rubs off and then allows the bar to rust under the bush. What I thought was a knurled finish was actually rust. I have now cleaned this off and put the new bushes in.

But to the point of being told the grease nipples would not be accessible, here is a couple of photos to show they are:
Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bush in place
Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bush in place
Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bush in place (2)
Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bush in place (2)
The picture above shows that the bush is not actually blocked by the front frame, but is inset from it.
Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bush in place (3)
Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bush in place (3)
Picture above shows the grease gun fitted to the grease nipple!

A couple of point I would make though.

1) Having a flexible grease pipe on the grease gun makes this possible, but I am going to get a 18"-24" flexible pipe as it will make using the grease gun much easier.
2) I have contacted Energy Suspension to find out if the nipple can be swapped out for a 45 or 90 degree nipple which will make access even with a grease gun with rigid pipe possible.

Final point, I am not sure what the grease is they supply, but man-o-man is it some seriously sticky stuff! Make sure you wear gloves using that stuff!!

Funny though, the IPD and Energy Suspension bushes are almost identical. Hm...!

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

RussB
Year and Model: '00 S70, '04 S60

Post by RussB »

Hi Neil,

I had mentioned that the zerk fittings may not be accessible being on top. Thanks for clarifying that! Here are the factory IPD sway bar bushings (which are most likely supplied by Energy Suspension) that I added a zerk fitting to. This is the grease I use, which is what I believe IPD supplies in the syringe

'00 S70, '04 S60 and the never ending quest for Stage Zero

Adler
Year and Model: 04 XC70

Post by Adler »

Maybe this is the cause of the groaning I've been hearing. I hear it when coming to a stop and slow turns into a parking spot. I've had the ipd swaybar front and rear on there for over two years now and totally forgot about re-greasing them. Can these be replaced with the car on ramps? Do I need to do anything to the subframe?

RussB
Year and Model: '00 S70, '04 S60

Post by RussB »

Adler wrote:Maybe this is the cause of the groaning I've been hearing. I hear it when coming to a stop and slow turns into a parking spot. I've had the ipd swaybar front and rear on there for over two years now and totally forgot about re-greasing them. Can these be replaced with the car on ramps? Do I need to do anything to the subframe?

Yes
No

It's an easy job, tight access to the 14mm headed hex bolts is the only caveat. At this point it might be a good idea to just replace them. IPD offers a bushing kit...
'00 S70, '04 S60 and the never ending quest for Stage Zero