IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

97 v70 2,4t need some help fixing the vacuum hoses and boost issues

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Rsokk
Year and Model: 1998 V70 2.4T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Norway
Rsokk

Re: 97 v70 2,4t need some help fixing the vacuum hoses and boost issues

Post by Rsokk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:49 pm

So been working my way trough this one. Would seem that the line to the pcv was pulling vacuum. Removed all the vacuum hoses and have marked them on the pictures. if any of them is placed wrong let me know, this is how they were attached.

Checked the turbo, spinns freely and no play in the axel. coolant is brownish, but no oil in it or anything. Plugs were fine, all has the same color, a little on the light side, but i recon that is due to the leak in the pcv. For starters im just going to have to mend that tube. Pulling of the inntake and replacing the system is not something i have time or a suitable place to do, working outside in close to 0 degrees celcius and rain in the dark, while preparing for exams on monday and wednsday just wont do.

Does anyone have the measurements for all the hoses to the intercooler? Since all the original tubing seems to have had an meeting with a grinder i recon that is the easiest way to get it back together. checked the junkyards close to here, but no volvos to get parts of. this is beeing done on a student budget, so getting a complete kit wont geets abit to costly atm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rsokk on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wonder how, I wonder why, I wonder why I wonder

Sommerfeldt
Year and Model: 1996 850 T5
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Post by Sommerfeldt » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Hmm... it's pretty much impossible to see the writing on your pictures there. :( If you've got bigger versions, just attach them to your post directly instead of Imageshack - there's a box at the bottom of the post editor. :)

At first glance, I'm not sure I'm liking the way your WG actuator is hooked up...
The open port by the PTC may not be in use on your model, so it should possibly be plugged up. Volvo has a kit for that (or just plug it yourself, safely), and in your last picture, that hard plastic line that your arrow points to should go on the large port on top of the PTC. Also in the last picture - does that white hard line that transitions into black rubber go through your firewall? Because it should, but I don't think I've seen it in that location before... though my perspective may be f-ed up... :)

Your coolant should NOT be brownish - it should be a dark greenish blue. You should probably change that as soon as possible, since you may be in for a nasty surprise if temps drop. :(

If you want, send me an email directly - stick "@gmail.com" behind my username here, and there you go. :)

- S
'96 855 T5, R bumper and spoiler, Koni Yellows & blue H&R springs all 'round.

Rsokk
Norway
Rsokk

Post by Rsokk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:56 pm

There redid the pictures, should be clearer, listed up how they were connected when i found it. The white one was connected to the airfilter hose and continues down into another hose, as far as i have seen other places that one atleast was right.

Coolant is getting changed, within the week.

Sommerfeldt
Year and Model: 1996 850 T5
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Post by Sommerfeldt » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:45 am

I think the first thing to do is get the TCV hoses sorted out - that setup doesn't look right to me. Go by the lower picture that tryingbe posted up there, and get those done first. See if you can get some colored "isolasjonstape" to mark them with acc. to the colors on the drawing.

The hoses to the PTC (hard black line + soft rubber elbow) should also be a priority, since they'll be sucking in unmetered air (in vacuum) and blowing oily stuff all over (when boosting). My turbo area was covered in it, hardened like you wouldn't believe when I first got my car.

After that, see if you can make sense of the diagram in the upper pic that tryingbe posted. Take one hose at the time, and reroute your current ones as needed. Also, when you say "connected to the air filter", you mean connected to the intake hose from the filter to the turbo, after air metering, yes?

- S
'96 855 T5, R bumper and spoiler, Koni Yellows & blue H&R springs all 'round.

rspi
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon
United States of America
rspi

Post by rspi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:43 am

'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos

Rsokk
Norway
Rsokk

Post by Rsokk » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Thats the video i was looking for. thanks.

Now got it all hooked up, Resolved the leak in the pvc system, it now passes the glove test, and no smoke comming from the oilsticktube. So one problem solved.

Did the inverted intercooler with the bits and pieces that was available, so how beautifull it is can be discussed. Not entirely sure that the one going to the throtlebody is completly closed under preasure, but a little test with starter gass had no effect on the idle. Have to do some more searching to get that one better. Also the pipe attached to the lower intercooler port seems a little tired, so that one will get change in aswell. if i ever get the time, ill probably just weld up something myself.
Top hose went easy, using the same dimension pipe as stock 2" it clears the fuel rail with a few millimeters, and the old pipe going up from the turbo, made an easy fit.

And then there is still the boost problem, seems to hold boost better now, but when reaching 4k rpm in first and 3,5k rpm in second, the car still jumps about like someone failing to use the clutch.
Obd2 gives 2 fault codes P0108 MAP high input. If im not mistaking this is just one to ignore for now, and fix at a later stage.
After the pcv was fixed, i have the second fault code has changed from P0171 System to lean (bank 1) to P0172 System to rich (bank 1) Will this probably be the ecu relearning the fuel air ratio after the vacuumleak?

Also while fiddling around down in the engine, i found a copperseal, looks like the size that matches the banjo bolts, and the wastegate rod seems to have been tampered with, part of the screw is missing. And is there not supposed to be a plate on the turbo that identifies wich one it is, did som looking about but couldnt find any.,So another riddle to be solved.

Thanks for the help so far, there might still be hope for this car still.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.