IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

850 Water in Spare Trunk Well & Trunk Water Drain holes

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

viper69
Year and Model: 850GLT 1995
United States of America
viper69

Re: 850 Water in Spare Trunk Well & Trunk Water Drain holes

Post by viper69 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi Neil,

That was extremely helpful. I do indeed have a sunroof in my sedan!

I looked at the vent today, and while I'm not mechanic it sure seems the only way it can be put onto the car is from the outside (behind the bumper). The vent just clips in via 4 plastic tabs that are part of the vents mold/body. Two on top, two on the bottom. I didn't label them, but in the 3rd pic you can see 3 of them. One is right NEXT to the WHITE letter T. It's one of those pieces that looks like if it isn't treated right, the plastic snaps off and you are SOL, and off to get a new one somehow. So I've been very careful!!!

The tube doensn't have a crack, I checked. However, I don't know why it ended up being that pinched up. I was wondering if that's normal, as in maybe the tubing is too big for the angle it needs to bend (maybe Volvo under-engineered that part). I don't know, I know it's stock as I'm the only owner.

interesting on the vent, makes sense, I hadn't thought of that, much appreciated!

I'll take a look at the bumper, I hope there aren't any plastic fasteners that Volvo likes to use because those always snap off and are a pain to remove.

I really appreciate the input Scott!!!

I'll take some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on the tubing. I might just switch to clear. Any suggestions on what to use, or does it matter?
Volvo 850 GLT 1995

5 Speed Manual transmission

122,500 miles and barely broken in

Previous:
'82 Volvo DL Wagon, 4 speed manual
'77 Saab 99 EMS, 4 speed manual

dbrt_672
Year and Model: 97 850 T5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
dbrt_672

Post by dbrt_672 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:51 pm

I have had this problem for a long time. In an attempt to keep the drain tubes of the trunk lid clear, I used liquid nails to fasten a couple small pieces of 1/8" screen that I had. That helped, and lasted a year or two, but eventually fell off, and tree material would also pile up at the inputs of the drains, reducing their throughput. I try to park the car with the trunk lid down on any slope so the water wants to run off. Recently I tried using a piece of weed-wacker line to flush out the drain tubes, that seemed better than using coat hanger wire, as its more flexible for the corners in the drain tube. Recently my son pointed out that maybe the water comes in somewhere along the rear bumper in the middle. I haven't investigated whether there's a means for this to happen, but have always been perplexed at the large amount of water in the spare wheel well, and none in the two little side wells, and the carpet not wet enough to reconcile with the amount of water.
1997 850 T5, nice car, sure has needed a lot of work.
previous:
1988 740 GLE Wagon
1986 760 GLE Turbo sedan
1985 240 GLE Wagon
1980 242 DL sedan 4-spd, first volvo.

viper69
Year and Model: 850GLT 1995
United States of America
viper69

Post by viper69 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:12 pm

dbrt_672 wrote:I have had this problem for a long time. In an attempt to keep the drain tubes of the trunk lid clear, I used liquid nails to fasten a couple small pieces of 1/8" screen that I had. That helped, and lasted a year or two, but eventually fell off, and tree material would also pile up at the inputs of the drains, reducing their throughput. I try to park the car with the trunk lid down on any slope so the water wants to run off. Recently I tried using a piece of weed-wacker line to flush out the drain tubes, that seemed better than using coat hanger wire, as its more flexible for the corners in the drain tube. Recently my son pointed out that maybe the water comes in somewhere along the rear bumper in the middle. I haven't investigated whether there's a means for this to happen, but have always been perplexed at the large amount of water in the spare wheel well, and none in the two little side wells, and the carpet not wet enough to reconcile with the amount of water.
I was thinking of adding screen too. When the screen came off, did paint get removed?? Perhaps there's a better adhesive?

People have speculated at the rear bumper's middle as well. When I popped my trunk that was the only portion of the trunk that was wet in any way. Not anywhere along the trunk lid itself, or the car's frame it comes in contact with when you actually close it.

I also checked the side well dry as a bone. The amount of water in the wheel well did not reconcile w/how dry the trunk liner was, like yourself!

Also, the sides of the trunk liner where the drains are located were bone dry, both on the trunk floor and along the sides, so I know water didn't trickle down the sides at least along fabric. ONLY the region above the spare wheel itself was the trunk liner damp, not soaked, just damp. It was really weird. Especially because during all the rain we had for a couple weeks there wasn't enough warmth or time for water to evaporate and have things dry out within the trunk.

It's quite a puzzle. I may have someone close the trunk and pour water over the trunk first, and then over the sunroof and observe for leaks while I'm in the trunk.
Volvo 850 GLT 1995

5 Speed Manual transmission

122,500 miles and barely broken in

Previous:
'82 Volvo DL Wagon, 4 speed manual
'77 Saab 99 EMS, 4 speed manual