IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
I'll be performing maintenance on the server March 31. I'll try my best to make interruptions as painless as possible. Thanks for your understanding.
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Cabin fan runs continuously but no heat or a/c?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

a73s
Year and Model: 850T 1995
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
a73s

Cabin fan runs continuously but no heat or a/c?

Post by a73s » Wed May 18, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi,
I have a Volvo 850T wagon.
Yesterday when I started the engine, the fan in the cabin came on at high speed and doesn't change when I adjust fan speed or temperature. The A/C light stays on when I switch between on and off, and there's no heating or cooling going on.
Is this an ECC problem? Could it be a fuse (or does the fact that the blower is working rule that out?
I don't really have much knowledge of diagnostics, so not sure I can really test it...?

Thanks for any information!

Alan.

a73s
United States of America
a73s

Re: Cabin fan runs continuously but no heat or a/c?

Post by a73s » Wed May 18, 2016 11:28 pm

UPDATE!

Just hopped in the car to do an errand and the fan doesn't work at all now...! Dead, but the lights on the temperature control dials are working....

I looked at the fuses and they are ok, although the #5 fuse area seemed a bit brown as if it had overheated at some point (but the fuse was ok.)

Thanks,
Alan.

Sommerfeldt
Year and Model: 1996 850 T5
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Post by Sommerfeldt » Thu May 19, 2016 4:34 am

Hey Alan.

See if your ECC has set any codes. My first guess would be that you either have a clogged cabin air filter, or it's soaked with water. If your fan isn't working at all, then either the ECC has sensed that there's something wrong and turned the whole thing off (are the tiny lights by your REC and AC switches flashing when you start the car?) or your blower motor is seized. Or both.

The blower motor itself isn't hard to get to. Pull your glove box out (be careful, it gets brittle around the screws), remove the clipped-on wiring harness for the blower etc. and unplug. Remove 4 screws and pull the whole assembly out. If the motor is seized, you can usually get it going by cleaning it and greasing w/ whilte litium grease. Robert DIY on YouTube ("rspi" here) has a couple of great videos on the subject.

Get your codes read and check your cabin air filter first, and then the other stuff after that.

- S
'96 855 T5, R bumper and spoiler, Koni Yellows & blue H&R springs all 'round.

a73s
United States of America
a73s

Post by a73s » Thu May 19, 2016 7:56 am

Sommerfeldt,
Thanks, I'll look at the cabin filter and blower.....may have to take it somewhere to look at the codes.

When I turn on the ignition I DO get the lights at REC and AC flashing for a few seconds...what does that indicate?

Appreciate your help!!

Alan

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu May 19, 2016 8:34 am

That is an indicator there are fault codes in the ECC that can guide you to the faulty parts. You need a decent code reader to access these or the Volvo Software package - see Fora
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
United States of America
erikv11

Post by erikv11 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:47 am

I would probably get in there, pull the blower motor and see if it is dead or not (apply 12v to it externally). Just to have those data. Other thoughts
- blower motor resistor (but usually this makes the fan run high, else the ECC controls work)
- short to ground somewhere in the wiring (but usually this makes the fan run all the time, even with the key off)
- ECC seems a strong possibility. Can you get your hands on another working ECC? Quickly (briefly) swap yours into another car?
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 285k
'06 S60 R, 165k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 125k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

Sommerfeldt
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Post by Sommerfeldt » Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 am

I see that you've got a '95 850 - if you've got the code reader boxes in in the engine compartment, use those to pull your ECC's fault codes and see what it's got to say for itself. In my experience, the ECC's codes are very specific, and will usually tell you all you need to know.

Like erikv11 says, get in there and pull that blower motor - chances are that it needs a little TLC (and grease) in any case. But read your codes out first, so you don't do double work.

- S

a73s
United States of America
a73s

Post by a73s » Thu May 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it!
Sommerfeldt wrote:I see that you've got a '95 850 - if you've got the code reader boxes in in the engine compartment, use those to pull your ECC's fault codes and see what it's got to say for itself. In my experience, the ECC's codes are very specific, and will usually tell you all you need to know.

Like erikv11 says, get in there and pull that blower motor - chances are that it needs a little TLC (and grease) in any case. But read your codes out first, so you don't do double work.

- S
I do have the two code boxes in the engine, and I understand that B1 is the climate control one.... I plugged into that, pressed the button for a second, and nothing happened. I checked that the whole thing was working by plugging into other sockets and I got 1-1-1 from those. Any ideas why would I get nothing at all from the climate control one?

This time (when I went out just now to do the codes) when I turned on the ignition the fan came on, even though it's set to off on the switch. Seems to be blowing well, no squealing etc...? Could it just be the ECC unit?
Thanks again for any suggestions!

Alan

Sommerfeldt
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Post by Sommerfeldt » Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Hmm... if the two lamps flash on the ECC, that means there are codes stored. The blower shouldn't be running if it's set to Off - are you sure it's not in Auto, instead of Off? It it's indeed Off, then something's definitely amiss.

If there are no codes, you should still get the 1-1-1 from the ECC.

At this point, I would probably check the connections to your diagnostic thingamajigs in the engine compartment, and try cleaning the sockets out of they're dirty. While you do that, disconnect your battery's negative, and leave for 20 minutes. Push the brake pedal once. That should reset some stuff.

- S

a73s
United States of America
a73s

Post by a73s » Fri May 20, 2016 11:08 am

UPDATE 2
Well, now, even though the ECC unit is set to OFF ('O')...it cycles on and off every 3 or 4 seconds and the fan blows for a second, as soon as I start up the engine, and keeps going (on and off, on and off) the whole time I'm driving. Also it seems to me, that the a/c motor is coming on and off, on and off, at the same time.
I've ordered a used ECC but it won't arrive for a day or two, but now I'm concerned that I may damage the a/c because it seems to be cycling on and off constantly...should I be concerned about that? Any way to disable it for a few days?
I still wasn't able to get any codes to read out from the climate control code reader in the engine (the B1 socket), even though I DO get codes from other sockets in the code reader. I didn't have time to try taking the battery cable off yet but may try that tonight...