IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

1998 V70 Crank, No Start, No Spark, after manual swap

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

nmotzing
Year and Model: 1994 850 turbo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
nmotzing

1998 V70 Crank, No Start, No Spark, after manual swap

Post by nmotzing » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:36 am

After swapping a motor and trans from a T5 M into my '98 V70 R I'm getting a crank, no spark scenario. However there is good fueling through the injectors confirmed by popping out the rail and drenching my garage floor. There also is no power coming from the coil but considering they rarely go bad that really isn't suspect.

I lopped off the big connector which attaches to the auto transmission and connected the two green wires to bypass the neutral position interlock junk. I've yet to wire up the blue wires to the reverse light switch but are there any other wires in that bundle that need to be addressed?

My concern is I have two electrical connectors that I cannot find the other side for, one being a grey two prong female coming out from the wiring harness at the same place as the two 02 sensor connectors. It is has the same asymmetrical locating slots as the coolant level sensor and the plug which goes into the alarm connected to the firewall.

The other connector is a two prong bullet type which comes out of the harness just to the passenger side of the brake master cylinder.

The manual transmission wiring harness has neither of these two connectors, and I cannot remember where they go! I feel they need to be short circuited or something but if anyone has some first hand experience it'd be greatly appreciated!

Obviously the usual suspects are the cam and crank sensor. I swapped over the cam sensor from my old motor with no change however it's been sitting outside for about a month so that might be fried too.
Attachments
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG

nmotzing
Year and Model: 1994 850 turbo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
nmotzing

Re: 1998 V70 Crank, No Start, No Spark, after manual swap

Post by nmotzing » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:38 am

After some poking around last night, literally, with my electrical connector probe thing, there is power going TO the coil when the key is in the II position, both blue and red wires are hot. however when I turn the key there is no power coming from the coil to the distributor. Tried a different coil with the same results, tried a different (not new) crank sensor with same results as well as a different cap.

I know this is one of about a 10,000 "crank no start" posts on here, I've read most of them, and I realized the only other thread I've started was for the same problem with my first volvo in 2009. That ended up being a cam sensor, one of the first things people suggested and after it sitting for months, I popped a brand new on there and fired right up. I swore It would always be the first thing I replaced for a no starting white block. Picking a new one after work today, just to totally remove it as a variable, however most of the reason for my post was trying to determine if there were modifications necessary to the wiring harness to get a spark beyond what i'd already done.