IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Recall 140 is still active

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

matt122s
Year and Model: '98 V70R
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
matt122s

Recall 140 is still active

Post by matt122s » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi All,
I picked up a '96 850 Platinum wagon last December and I've been working on it slowly to get it to stage 0 and on the road. One of the issues with it was a leak at the gas tank if you put more than 10 gallons in. I read up on it here and thought the problem was the hose on top of the tank so I bought one from FCP, dropped the tank, changed it out and put back the tank, (pita) :D . Thinking I had fixed the problem I drove to my local gas station and filled it up with gas. On the way home I could start smelling gas, by the time I parked the car it was a steady drip from the drivers side where the metal shield for the exhaust is. I crawled under the car and I could see that the gas wasn't coming from the top, it was originating somewhere behind the shield. I worked at a Volvo dealership as a service writer from 2005 to 2010. I knew there was a recall for the rubber mounts on the heat shield attached to the gas tank, and also to check for leaks from where the mounts attached to the tank. From what I could read on this site it was hard to tell if recall 140 was still in effect. Some other forum members were told the recall had expired, or other forum members were told by their Volvo dealership that they had never heard of this recall. When I called the dealership I used to work at the service writer I talked to said that recall 140 was sill pending on my car. I asked him if this recall could expire, he stated that as long as it was pending on a vehicle that it was still a valid recall. It took them a few days to get my car in a diagnose it, but I'm not in a hurry. The good news is they ordered a new tank from Volvo and it's covered under warranty. I'm so psyched, I'll be driving my Platinum wagon soon. :D
Thanks, Matt

beigg
Year and Model: 850 97
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Re: Recall 140 is still active

Post by beigg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:31 am

A vin run should reveal if the volvo qualified for the freebie or not. Correct?
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

matt122s
Year and Model: '98 V70R
United States of America
matt122s

Post by matt122s » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:17 am

Yes with the vin the dealership would be able to tell you if the vehicle qualified for a recall and also if the recall was still outstanding or was ever performed.

beigg
Year and Model: 850 97
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Post by beigg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:24 am

FWIW
Had a vin given over the phone. Was told it was not eligible for recall service. Later few months down the road, took it in to same placed called, that recall was scheduled in at that time of visit to be performed when the parts all arrived in.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

PeteB
Year and Model: 1996 Volvo 850 Wagon
United States of America
PeteB

Post by PeteB » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:03 am

Our 1996 850 wagon had the recall done many years ago, and I did the fuel pump
a year or so ago in the middle of winter.
I smelled gas last week, and went to fill up today, did one quick extra click after it
stopped looked under the car and saw a pretty good drip from the bottom of the
filler tube. It stopped while at the gas station and didn't drip anymore in the driveway.
It looked damp from the top of the tank down to the filler tube.
I remember the big ring not going on very easily/smoothly when I did the fuel pump
and I'm sure that the cold temps didn't help. I used the oil wrench pliers that seem
to fit the job so well.
Any tips before I open it up again? I don't remember if there is a gasket there I should
have changed.

PeteB
Year and Model: 1996 Volvo 850 Wagon
United States of America
PeteB

Post by PeteB » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:23 am

Found this video by Robert DIY where he replaces a vent hose that is a known
common failure - will check it out. I suppose the way to test it is to take off
the access panels, fill it and look for the leaks: