My 1st Swede! 1998 v70 GLT - 201k - Steep Learning Curve!

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

My 1st Swede! 1998 v70 GLT - 201k - Steep Learning Curve!

Post by Botbasher »

Hey Guys and Dolls,

I have just taken my 1st dive into the Swedish pool of fun and boy I think I'm in deep on the learning curve. It's a pretty descent driver and reminds me of my exs Audi A4 Avant... smooth!! I could drive for days in cars like this! It'll probably be my Daily Driver until my son gets his license, then it'll be a great safe learner!!

I have owned VW/Audi's for the last 20+ years, so I get the Euro mentality, but I see I'm going to have to relearn a few things.... let me explain.

I got this car from a local Volvo enthusiast, so I have no doubt what he told me about the cars condition (new T-Belt, Seals, Cam Sensor, W Pump, PCV Service...) is totally accurate, but my perception of the noted issues was a bit askew.

There is a small oil leak somewhere between the cam sensor and the turbo that puffs a little smoke every once in a while. Like a drops worth on a hot manifold. No biggie I think to myself while I'm buying it. Simple valve cover gasket change, right? I get it home and while trying to figure out where the valve cover is.... What do you mean, they don't have valve cover gaskets? The valve cover is the cam blocks too?!?!? Who in their right mind does that?

So I power squirted the nasty built up on the turbo and hoses and it's all clean now. I can see the whisp of smoke rise up from somewhere between the heat shield and block, but I'm not limber enough or knowledgeable enough to know what/where to look in there without disassembling it all. I have an endoscope cam that I am going to break out and see if I can spot it, but again, I have no idea where to start.

I've searched pretty deeply and I've come up dry besides the typical Shaft Seal replacement threads... so what, besides Shaft Seals in the general area of the Cam Sensor/Turbo Compressor is going to weep oil on the exhaust manifold at idle? Any typical culprits to look at?

Thanks for the help and apologies for any silly, stupid questions I will eventually ask!

Cheers!

K "Newbie" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Post by jonesg »

Could be the oil feed line to the turbo, on mine (2004 V70) it goes in the top of the turbo. Check the hose coupler clamp, could be weeping and running down the hard line.

Sommerfeldt
Year and Model: 1996 850 T5

Post by Sommerfeldt »

Hey! Welcome to MVS. :)

Taking the heat shield off would probably be a good first step. Oil leaks can travel weird pathways, so cleaning everything down is a smart move. The heat shield is easy to get off, but don't go for long drives without it... :) Take it off, see if that gets you a clearer idea of where the smoke is coming from. Jonesg's suggestion is a good one, though the intake line rarely develops issues on these cars. It could be coming from a leak around the oil filler cap's gasket, or travel around from somewhere else.

Cam seals should last you a couple of decades if they were done right, but there's nothing wrong about checking around the areas to see if something's seeping. That goes for the PTC and the connections to it - those places will spray oil mist if they're not on correctly. Other than that, sounds like you've got yourself a nice ride. :)

- S
'96 855 T5, R bumper and spoiler, Koni Yellows & blue H&R springs all 'round.

tryingbe
Year and Model: None

Post by tryingbe »

If there is smoke coming out of the engine inside the engine bay, your PCV system needs to be changed out. You'll have to take off the intake manifold to get to it.

I also strong suggest you upgrade to a bigger PCV hose and drill the PTC to be bigger.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/vie ... =1&t=76504

85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg

sleddriver
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5

Post by sleddriver »

Botbasher wrote:Hey Guys and Dolls,There is a small oil leak somewhere between the cam sensor and the turbo that puffs a little smoke every once in a while. Like a drops worth on a hot manifold.

So I power squirted the nasty built up on the turbo and hoses and it's all clean now. I can see the whisp of smoke rise up from somewhere between the heat shield and block, but I'm not limber enough or knowledgeable enough to know what/where to look in there without disassembling it all. I have an endoscope cam that I am going to break out and see if I can spot it, but again, I have no idea where to start.
Bingo...the rear camshaft seals will make a mess of the backside & rear firewall side of the engine. Been there, done that on the sled. Royal mess to clean up afterwards too.

Fortunately, they're easy to replace and the job is straightforward....after you remove everything necessary to get to them!

Welcome to MVS!

I have the same year car and have owned mine since 11,000mi. She was assembled in Aug of 1997.
1998 V70 T5 226,808 miles. Original Owner.
M1 10W-30 HM

kippster41493
Year and Model: 1994 850

Post by kippster41493 »

I've got the same car, the only "common" leak I had was the seal around the oil filler cap. It is designed to run the leaking oil over the cam cover and through a little weep hole that leads right over the heat shield over the turbo. If you have the vanity cover on top still, remove it and see if there is a bunch of oil on it, two major places to check. The oil cap seal is alright and the PCV hose isn't leaking oil out.
1994 850 2.3 Turbo :D
1998 V70 GLT 2.5 Turbo :shock: - project now
1995 BMW 530i :)
1998 Eclipse GSR - 3.5" off the ground and headers

Year and Model: 98 V70GLT, 98 S70T5M

Post by 101 »

Another 1998 V70 GLT owner here.

As said above, check the cam seals and oil filler cap gasket first. If those check OK, the exhaust heat shields (its a three piece assembly) only have about 5 bolts that hold the whole thing on. It's fairly easy to remove, but take a picture of it installed to avoid frustration putting them back on.

1998 white V70 GLT 230K "Elsa"
1998 white S70 T5m 180K "Anna"

obayha
Year and Model: V70 1999 Base

Post by obayha »

All the above said is great information to start with.
Where in the great state of NC do you live?
I am in Salisbury and am a shade tree/ driveway mech when needed.
Shane
1998 V70 T5 331,000 :( Her last day was on 3 cylinders.
New to me 1999 V70 NA 163,000 Now at 217,000
2006 V70 2.5T in driveway (WIFE'S)
1982 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

bmdubya1198
Year and Model: 2K V70R M56

Post by bmdubya1198 »

It's definitely possible for oil leaking from the cam seals to travel to the turbo/exhaust manifold and create smoke. Check around the cam sensor and distributor cap for oil leaking. I guess if they're leaking bad enough, it could happen. I just replaced my cam seals today, very easy job.
00 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 202k
03 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 122k
07 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 180k
92 245 White/Beige 249k
98 V70 GLT Black/Beige 205k
00 S70 GLT Mystic Silver/Taupe 254k
99 BMW 528i
84 BMW 318i
04 Saab 9-5 Aero
01 Mountaineer 5.0- to tow all these cars
Sold-
91 944 Turbo
93 944
98 S90
95 850 GLT
01 S60 2.4T
88 744 Turbo M46

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

Post by Botbasher »

Hey There... Thanks for the warm welcomes and great info. I think I have narrowed it down a bit. I did the glove test and it's drawing a vacuum under ldle and light throttle, so the low hanging fruit already fell!

I found one location was the oil cooler lines. I have smooth hose clamps from work, so I think I can solve that one without any major issue. Cut the swage and clamp it. rest of the line looks good.

The messy one.... I think I bit off a bit more than I should have! I'm a little miffed as there was no way you couldn't notice the "leavings" if you drove this regularly! It was parked in the trees when I looked at it and picked it up. Wonder why? Guess he did the PCV a little too late, huh?

The other one appears to be a rear main seal. The whisp appears to be a drop that accumulated during the drive dripping off. It's loosing about a 1/8 cup of oil on simple errand drives (20ish miles). It gets onto the pass CV shaft, which slings it all around. The flywheel appears dry, but upon closer inspection, I can see its travels out the port at the bottom and dirt is accumulating up inside it, so it's coming down from there, not traveling across it.

After endo-scoping it all out, I am pretty sure it's not coming from the Cam Seals or anywhere north of the exhaust. There is a lot of oil "dirt" up there, but not a lot of wet oil.

This was going to be the kiddos learner, but that's going to have to wait now until this is completely resolved. Oh Joy!!! I can't trust him to brush his teeth, so there is no way I'm allowing him to forget to add oil!!

Shane, be careful what you offer... I'm out of my comfort zone and I just might show up with a seal and a case of Ciders or Adult Root Beers!!!

Any thoughts on further narrowing the diagnosis and solutions? Is there a "yep, that's it!" test for a rear main leak before pulling the trans? That's a lot of work to find out the a widget seal right behind the gizmo holder, but that acts a lot like a rear main seal leak!!

Thanks guys!

K "some buyers remorse" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??