I have now gone through some seals installations and can offer my advice for the Saturday mechanic.
1. The Front Cam Seal ---> Removal trick:
- Use a small punch and hammer, make a little dimple, then drill using the smallest drill bit
, taking care NOT to mar the rotating surface on the cam shaft. The use a small sheet metal screw + Vise-Grips to get it out. You may need to drill 2 separate holes at let's say 3 and 9 o'clock positions.
2. The Front Cam Seal ---> Installation trick:
- Sometimes the lip "folds over" if you are not careful. So wet the seal with oil and during initial installation, spin it around the cam shaft until it hits the housing.
- The "secret tool" is basically a 1.5-inch PVC Coupler
at Home Depot or hardware store. This is the coupler used to join 2 pieces of PCV pipes together, ask any plumber and he will tell you they use it daily for plumbing job.
- Cut the tool down so it is approx. 26 mm or so
. Then deburr the inner and outer edges of the tool so it is clean.
- Now use the cam sprocket to drive the seal in, it is very very easy this way.
- Check with a mirror to be sure the lip is NOT folded over.
More info in my DIY Timing Belt thread:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... =1&t=53722