IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Vibrating & Rattling Sound under the dash @1500rpm

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

millereffect
Year and Model: 2000 V70

Vibrating & Rattling Sound under the dash @1500rpm

Post by millereffect »

Hello,

I have a rattling & vibrating sound under the dash for almost a year now at exactly 1500rpm for just one second while accelerating and shifting from gear 1 to 3. I have recorded a video where you can hear it just a little here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Ld0kAZg6M

I will try to make a new one if hearing the sound is too difficult for you folks. It is a Volvo MY2000, V70-1, 140PS, B5244S2 engine, manual transmission, non-turbo, 215000km.

I removed the middle console but the sound is still there. I also removed the AC module, the radio, all switches, the steering wheel cover and the lower cover lid underneath to be able to hold tight and touch different parts, cables, housings anything I can grab while accelerating but no change. I also removed the upper dash and the instrument cluster but nothing loose found here. I removed the glove box but still there is nothing loose either. I also tightened the 4 screws with 10Nm from the engine side which are holding the entire dash but no change again. I also replaced the transmission mounting which was obviously not in good shape anymore. I also did replace the upper eninge mounting. It was still in good shape but I hoped a new one would solve it but it didn't. The other lower 2 bigger ones and the one on the wheel side seem to look still ok. At least a car technician from the garage said they still look good. He took a big lever to lift the engine and no big movement of the engine and no cracks were noticable. So I trust him and assume they are still ok.

So I am quite desperate now. I also put this question in a German Volvo forum but I got no real helpful ideas there or nothing what I havent tried already.

I will be thankful for any enlighting idea where I also can look for or I have forgotten to consider.

Thank you,
Mario
kahl
Year and Model: 2000V70XC

Re: Vibrating & Rattling Sound under the dash @1500rpm

Post by kahl »

Try the heat shield above the exhaust manifold....all secure?
scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R

Post by scot850 »

kahl beat me to it, and he is normally right. The heat-shield is held on with a bunch of thin steel nuts which over time corrode holes through the aluminum heat-shield mounting points. I buy a bunch of large washers remove each nut in turn and glue the washers back on to prevent the washers reacting with the aluminum again, and then carefully re-attach the holding washers.

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold
millereffect

Post by millereffect »

Hello Neil and Kahl,
I think the noise is definetely coming from the inside. Because I can hear it just in front of me behind the dash. I doubt that it is transmitted from a rattling part like the outer heat-shield. I didnt even find a shield like you described. It is just a cardboard stuff on the wall between the engine and the inside of the car. It is covered by a metall film like alu or something but it is definetely not an extra shield hold by screws. There is a shield very deep at the beginning of the catalysator. I couldnt reach this so I havent tried if it is loose or not. I will try the next days but I actually doubt this is the root cause I have to admit.
Mario
fatalbert
Year and Model: 1993 850

Post by fatalbert »

Check the rubber mountings on the exhaust system. It can resonate into the car and sound like it is coming from the dash. I also just removed the plastic shield under the windshield wipers on my 850 and you would not believe what can wind up under there. Four or five screws and carefully pull out. Mine had a big mouse nest inside. Might be a good idea to clean it up anyway.
Al
blkbeauty
Year and Model: V70 T5 1999

Post by blkbeauty »

If your dash is rattling, I fixed mine after 6 years, embrassing to be honest. I made a few L brackets ( screwed the L bracket into the side of the dash and to the A pillar)and some 3M fire Foam, not sure of the cost of the foam, got it from work. I removed the dash pash, sprayed all openings around the dash, corners, removed the four firewall mounting bolts one by one and sprayed foam in each hole. I let the foam cure for 24 hours, Not one rattle now!
millereffect

Post by millereffect »

The muffler is new with new rubber mountings. The rattling was/is the same before and after its replacement.

The cover under the windscreen wipers I had off already twice. Everything is clean there. I had to take it off to re-fasten the 4 screws as I thought they got loose a bit. Fastened them with 10Nm. I hope this wasnt too much. Got the feeling since then dash is making more noices than before. But this could also be a wrong.

One question about the L-brakets and the foam treatment. The L brakets you mounted on the left and right side under the dash pash between dash and A pillar, right? So you drilled holes into the metal frame, correct? And about the foam into the holes of the 4 screws; you did one by one and for each you let it cure for 24h before starting the next one? After the foam was solid you just screwed in the old screw, not drilling whatsorever, right? Imagine the rattling is not gone after this work I am afraid getting off the entire dash from the wall for other reworks could be more tricky as the foam could additional attach the dash to the wall. I mean just in case.

Just one question to narrow the rattling down a bit. Does anybody know if I could drive without having mounted the dash pash (means disconnected passanger airbag) and even more without the instrument cluster too or wont the car just simply not start? Also from the error code perspectiv, can I delete the codes like all the others after and the SRS system is working like it did before?

Anyway, the rattling is still there and it drives me crazy.
blkbeauty
Year and Model: V70 T5 1999

Post by blkbeauty »

Yes, I drilled a hole in the A-Pillar. I screwed the self taping screws in the L-bracket while pushing the entire dash towards the windshield. I sprayed foam in each mounting hole then screwed the bolt back in. Robert DIY has a video on Youtube about the L-Bracket. Hope it helps.
millereffect

Post by millereffect »

Ok, you did the way Robert has done it. I just know the video from him where he has entirely removed the dash and mounted the brakets on the four mounting points and glued all together and put it just back in. I did not see any foam applying somewhere from the outside. I understood that you mounted the brakets when the dashboard is still inside, right?
millereffect

Post by millereffect »

Hello blkbeaty,
can you please tell me again more in detail the steps how you have solved the problem? I still do not understand if you have just sprayed foam in the holes one by one while the other screws where holding the dashboard in place so in fact while the dashboard was still inside or have you done all repairing of the mounting brakets stuff and the extra L-bracket while you have entirely removed the dashboard from the car including the steering wheel, center console etc.
Thank you again!!