IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Progressive Snaphot- Requesting Ideas For Temporary Armrest Mod

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Swamy
Year and Model: S70 GLT, 1998
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Swamy

Progressive Snaphot- Requesting Ideas For Temporary Armrest Mod

Post by Swamy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:34 am

Hello again MVS users!

I was unable to find much information on the use of Progressive's Snapshot device on the S70 series (aside from the annoyance of port location).
It's my understanding (I consulted with an agent) that the savings could be up to a maximum of 20%. However, we all know that the location of the OBD-II is less than ideal for such as device.

Any thoughts on a temporary mod to accommodate this device for the 6 month period?

Any other "work arounds" that other users have employed to manage with the Snapshot device?

1. I am keen to properly remove the existing armrest to prevent the inevitable breakage.
2. possibly fabricate a simple smaller armrest substitute which will serve the purpose (of essentially supporting my elbow).

I appreciate your suggestions and input as always. Pictures would be great if you have devised a solution.

Happy to still be around, still have my very 1st Volvo, and grateful to you lot for sharing knowledge and know-how to keep it on the road.
'98 S70 GLT 150K - Blue Swede, Totalled-Lifesaver, Thanks To MVS repaired-daily driver :D
'98 S70 N/A 296K- Paid It Forward :arrow:

Clemens
Year and Model: 96 855 R + 94 855 T5
Austria
Clemens

Re: Progressive Snaphot- Requesting Ideas For Temporary Armrest Mod

Post by Clemens » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:55 am

The early 850ies with cheap trim came with armrests made out of very hard foam. Get one of these without the cupholders from a PnP and hack it up so your device fits through the hole.
Summer: 1996 855 R
Winter: 1994 855 T5M
Donor: 1995 854 10V

98v70dad
Year and Model: 98 V70
United States of America
98v70dad

Post by 98v70dad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:52 am

Swamy wrote:Hello again MVS users!

Any thoughts on a temporary mod to accommodate this device for the 6 month period?
I went to a pick n pull junk yard and bought the wire harness inside the console. Then I cut off the wire bundle that has the OBD2 end connector on it. You can splice this into the original OBD2 wiring bundle in your car and route it to anywhere it will reach. Now you have two OBD2 receptacles. You cannot use them both at the same time.

I put mine in so I could install an OBD2 electronic gauge like an ultra gauge. I hide the connector inside the console. If I had it to do over I would have spliced on longer wires and located it up under the dash - I still may do that since its a real pain to get to inside the console. I had enough wire with the pick n pull bundle to hide it under the ash tray which is less trouble to remove than removing console panels. I also am considering putting a switch on it so I don't have to unplug the ultragauge when I go for emissions testing. I believe the red wire is power, although I haven't verified that. If the gauge is switched off its like it isn't there. I cant guarantee that this will work for your application, but I don't see why it wouldn't. My ultragauge works well this way.

You could also buy two wire harnesses and make a pigtail. I think the armrest might close on top of that since the wires are really flexible and the connector itself might be small enough. Of course if you could find the OBD2 receptacle connectors somewhere online (I couldn't) you dont have to bother with the junkyard parts. I did find pigtails and t's smewhere but your back to the problem of the bulky end connectors.

Some emissions stations might consider splicing something into the wire harness as tampering with the system. Tampering with the emissions system is not allowed so it still needs to be functional for the emisions test. If you accidentally disable the OBD2 system it will probably be expensive to fix so don't attempt this if you're not confident you can do it.

splattj
Year and Model: 1999 V70 XC
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
splattj

Post by splattj » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:14 am

Check ebay for "thin OBD2 cable" You can get a low profile, right-angle, ribbon style extension cable that might get you what you want.

BEJinFbk
Year and Model: '98 V70 R
United States of America
BEJinFbk

Post by BEJinFbk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:01 pm

splattj wrote:Check ebay for "thin OBD2 cable" You can get a low profile, right-angle, ribbon style extension cable that might get you what you want.
This sounds like a much better alternative than cutting up the car's harness.
'98 V70 R - Well Equipped for Life Up North... ;)

98v70dad
United States of America
98v70dad

Post by 98v70dad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:26 am

BEJinFbk wrote:
splattj wrote:Check ebay for "thin OBD2 cable" You can get a low profile, right-angle, ribbon style extension cable that might get you what you want.
This sounds like a much better alternative than cutting up the car's harness.
He asked for suggestions. I gave him a good one. You are right that it was a lot of trouble, but it did not involve cutting up the car's harness. I spliced into the harness and soldered the connections. If you know what you're doing it is a fine modification and it is completely hidden. I did NOT cut up the car's original harness ..... I cut up a harness (and only a small one) that I bought at a junk yard. The entire console has its own harness which unplugs from the main harness in the car.

The low profile extensions available on ebay are another solution. I almost mentioned them in my post but it got a little long. However, with one of those extenders the console lid still probably won't shut properly due to the cord.

BEJinFbk
Year and Model: '98 V70 R
United States of America
BEJinFbk

Post by BEJinFbk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:55 am

IMHO, if you're tapping, splicing or otherwise altering the stock wiring, you're cutting it up.

Splicing into the stock wiring can make troubleshooting for the next guy a real nightmare.
It's the car equivalent of burying a junction box under sheetrock and mud. Sure, it's fine for
the guy that's doing it, but keep in mind that you probably won't be the last person that ever
works on the car. Chasing after issues caused by non-stock things that are hidden away by
a forgetful customer or previous owner is a real PITA. And not everyone is going to do as
clean a job of it as I suspect that you did. ( Don't even get me started on Scotch-Locks...)

The extension cable is faster, much easier and more straight forward.
And the lid does't have to be a problem, the dongle can just stay in the storage tray.
My point is, that for most folks, it's probably a better and simpler alternative.

Now, as far as having big brother monitor my driving habits?
That's a matter for an entirely different forum... :roll:
Last edited by BEJinFbk on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'98 V70 R - Well Equipped for Life Up North... ;)

bmdubya1198
Year and Model: 2K V70R M56
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Post by bmdubya1198 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:36 pm

BEJinFbk wrote:Now, as far as having big brother monitor my driving habits?
I don't like the idea of those insurance OBD2 things either. Besides, I have a turbo that I enjoy using... my insurance would only go up :mrgreen:
2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 195k
2000 S70 GLT Mystic Silver/Taupe 253k
2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 112k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 166k
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige 221k
1991 944 Turbo Dark Green/Beige 173k
1992 245 Base White/Beige 249k
Sold-
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 199k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k

98v70dad
United States of America
98v70dad

Post by 98v70dad » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:58 pm

BEJinFbk wrote:IMHO, if you're tapping, splicing or otherwise altering the stock wiring, you're cutting it up.

Splicing into the stock wiring can make troubleshooting for the next guy a real nightmare.
It's the car equivalent of burying a junction box under sheetrock and mud. Sure, it's fine for
the guy that's doing it, but keep in mind that you probably won't be the last person that ever
works on the car. Chasing after issues caused by non-stock things that are hidden away by
a forgetful customer or previous owner is a real PITA. And not everyone is going to do as
clean a job of it as I suspect that you did. ( Don't even get me started on Scotch-Locks...)

The extension cable is faster, much easier and more straight forward.
And the lid does't have to be a problem, the dongle can just stay in the storage tray.
My point is, that for most folks, it's probably a better and simpler alternative.

Now, as far as having big brother monitor my driving habits?

98v70dad
United States of America
98v70dad

Post by 98v70dad » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Two opinions. I don't disagree with you, but I thought my modification through before I did it. I spliced into a 18 inch piece (18 inches between the two end connectors) of the harness that could easily be replaced if ever necessary. My ultragauge is installed the car on the dash and there are no cords to get tangled up in or trip over, a nice clean installation.

What you suggested is a fine idea. It will work and is easy to accomplish for a low price. I considered your idea and it wasn't acceptable to me because it left about 4 feet of ultragauge cord exposed. I suggested an alternative because the OP might prefer it AND he asked for suggestions. My solution is more trouble and probably costs a bit more but its a good modification. Anyhow, I found your comments unnecessarily critical of a creative idea. When I don't need the ultragauge anymore I'll unplug it and the tee'd off portion will be just like an unused appendix. Alternately I could take the extra 18 inch piece of the harness I bought and just unplug the modified 18 inch portion on both ends, replace it with the original part and the harness would be back to the stock installation.

All ideas have value and its the end user who needs to choose which one suits his needs.